Testing for Athens embarkation

We  just came up 21 days from embarkation on the Jade out of Athens. We completed the check-in. Included was a required registration with Eurofins. It read if you are going to test at the port register and receive a code by email , which we did. We could not complete the check-in without this step.  We were under the impression that we could test at home prior to leaving and present the results at embarkation. We are able to do that at our local CVS at no cost. Can anyone who  has sailed out Athens recently tell us if we will have to test again at the port and if so is it at NCL's  or our cost?

• Like 1

I would recommend going right to NCL’s page and reading the guidance there. Things still continue to change and NCL is always updating their site. Asking here has typically proven to yield conflicting answers which leads to ongoing confusion. 

• Like 1

There is no simple answer to this, and unfortunately the NCL website doesn’t necessarily hold the answers either.

Firstly, the Eurofins registration just seems to be something that happens on check in and doesn’t necessarily mean that it is required. People are reading all sorts of things into it being there, but it doesn’t definitely indicate anything.

Another factor is whether your itinerary takes in Israel. If so there is a lot of testing done on the cruise, including at check in.

There is no way that we can say what will happen in a few weeks. In fact even on the day it is unclear. We boarded in Athens a few weeks ago and they didn’t test us as we had a test result from the previous day, but most other people with tests were redone at the port anyway. It still isn’t clear what the actual rules were that day.

My only recommendation is to do a test as close to sailing as you can, to avoid any risk of being charged for a port test, but expect to be retested.

Just don’t expect any definite answers, and be aware that the stated rules can be changed multiple times in the week up to the cruise and then reality be nothing like any of the communications you received.

• Like 1

We were on the 1st May cruise from Athens which included ports in Israel. We did PCR tests on 29th April before flying to Athens the next day. We had to show our results before having an antigen test at the port which was free. Those who hadn’t had a PCR were charged $125. I checked at guest services on Friday and this was still required for the 8th May cruise. We then had another PCR on the sea day before arriving in Israel. NCL were also offering antigen tests on Friday for those who needed them for their flights home, mostly US guests. These tests were free. Hope this helps.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:23 PM, KnATL said:

Yes, take a look here, it does change, and someone just realized that Athens and Greece…are part of Europe (they used to have separate entries…)

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country#europe

Thanks for pointing this out and seems they have changed things again.  We leave on Saturday with no chance of getting tested on day of travel, could get tested on the morning of the cruise in Athens but NCL say they will pay for it so might as well get tested at the port. We are not going to Israel. Am I reading this right? 

Edited by jennjess

Again so unclear. The words in addition seem to indicate a previous test to the one taken at the port.

• All vaccinated guests age 12 and older (Excluding Greece & Israel): must provide proof of negative NAAT test (I.e. PCR) or antigen test taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation. Testing at the terminal will not be facilitated.
  • For sailings departing from Greece: In addition to above testing requirements, all guests must additionally provide proof of negative antigen test within 24 hours prior to embarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.
  •  

4 hours ago, purplecow15 said:

Again so unclear. The words in addition seem to indicate a previous test to the one taken at the port.

• All vaccinated guests age 12 and older (Excluding Greece & Israel): must provide proof of negative NAAT test (I.e. PCR) or antigen test taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation. Testing at the terminal will not be facilitated.
  • For sailings departing from Greece: In addition to above testing requirements, all guests must additionally provide proof of negative antigen test within 24 hours prior to embarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.
  •  

I agree this makes no sense so I called NCL today and was advised to take a test within 72 hours so that is what I'll do.  Pcr not needed unless going to Israel which my cruise isn't, an antigen test is sufficient.

I bet no-one checks it either.

Just had a chat with NCL. The agent  mentioned that a negative test within 72 hours is an NCL requirement and the test within 24 hours (at the pier) is a Europe requirement. NCL covers the Europe requirement. She basically said:  2 requirements, 2 tests.  I told her that the test at the pier covers both requirements (i.e. within 72 hours and within 24 hours). I asked to explain how the test at the pier does not satisfy both requirements. She could not explain, went to her supervisor, who could not explain (said that this is the current protocol). I am ok with protocols that make sense (even if sometimes I don’t agree with them), but this protocol does not make sense at all. Hopefully someone will wake up and change it but my hopes are pretty low at this point (leaving June 5). 

• Like 3

I just used the chat option on NCL site. Now all I can do is shake my head. I asked if I could get antigen test at Walgreens up to 72 hours before. She first sent me link to sail safe page. I told her it was unclear as it says verified 3rd party. I asked her if Walgreens was acceptable. She answered 3rd party means anyone but NCL.  Well that clears things up!🙄

On 5/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, purplecow15 said:

I just used the chat option on NCL site. Now all I can do is shake my head. I asked if I could get antigen test at Walgreens up to 72 hours before. She first sent me link to sail safe page. I told her it was unclear as it says verified 3rd party. I asked her if Walgreens was acceptable. She answered 3rd party means anyone but NCL.  Well that clears things up!🙄

Thanks.  I had a chat with NCL and it gave us all a laugh.  They cannot explain their own rules.  The rep kept telling me to go to the Greece embassy website and I told him that the website says no test is required. 

My sail date is May 29.  Our current plan is to get tested in Athens the day before boarding, which would fulfill the 72 hour and the 24 hour requirement.  If they need a second test, we can take the Eurofins test at the port, which we had to register for.  Please report what your situation was at the port.  Hopefully for the May 15 and May 22 sailings, the information gets a little clearer, as Israel will not be on the itinerary.

Any information from your experience will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

22 hours ago, cookmg40 said:

Thanks.  I had a chat with NCL and it gave us all a laugh.  They cannot explain their own rules.  The rep kept telling me to go to the Greece embassy website and I told him that the website says no test is required. 

My sail date is May 29.  Our current plan is to get tested in Athens the day before boarding, which would fulfill the 72 hour and the 24 hour requirement.  If they need a second test, we can take the Eurofins test at the port, which we had to register for.  Please report what your situation was at the port.  Hopefully for the May 15 and May 22 sailings, the information gets a little clearer, as Israel will not be on the itinerary.

Any information from your experience will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

So I just boarded the Jade. Paid for and had the 72 hour before test. They never asked to see it. Pretty irriated by that. 

11 hours ago, Windsailer said:

So I just boarded the Jade. Paid for and had the 72 hour before test. They never asked to see it. Pretty irriated by that. 

That’s frustrating. Did they test you before boarding?  Did they ask for a 24-hour test?  That’s what they say is required by Greece. 

Boarding on June 5. Also planning to get tested in Athens the day before boarding in order to meet the 72-hour and 24-hour requirements (even if their own testing would also meet their own requirements).  Would be interested to obtain some info on the process from those who sailed on the Jade (stopping at ports in Greece and Turkey only). Impossible to get anything accurate from NCL. 

10 hours ago, Danides said:

Boarding on June 5. Also planning to get tested in Athens the day before boarding in order to meet the 72-hour and 24-hour requirements (even if their own testing would also meet their own requirements).  Would be interested to obtain some info on the process from those who sailed on the Jade (stopping at ports in Greece and Turkey only). Impossible to get anything accurate from NCL. 

Where in Athens are you planning to test? We’re sailing on the 19th and I’m thinking it’s a good idea to figure out an Athens testing option… 

happy sails!