New Straws on Summit last week

bookitdanno

I’m glad straws are near the top of some people’s priority list rather than mine. 
States are worried about straws, plastic bags and taking away a woman’s right to choose, yet global warming will kill the entire planet soon. 
Well played, mankind. Well played. 

• Haha 2

We were on Carnival Mardi Gras in March where they use the edible straws they're essentially candy. A friend of ours actually loves them and she eats them after the drink is done. I found them a bit slippery and weird. They held up though for the length of a drink. Nice to hear Celebrity has some good paper straws. 

22 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I bring my own supply of plastic straws from home. 

We do too..along with our disposable drink cups.

We stocked up ages ago.

Will try the new ones but so far they fall short-

2 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

We were on Carnival Mardi Gras in March where they use the edible straws they're essentially candy. A friend of ours actually loves them and she eats them after the drink is done. I found them a bit slippery and weird. They held up though for the length of a drink. Nice to hear Celebrity has some good paper straws. 

How interesting. Are they flavored? Just curious.

45 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Not really.  The trash on Celebrity is disposed of properly, not dumped into the ocean.

yes, but then eventually it has to be disposed of. If not while on board,  later. Not like the Junk people where you just point and it magically disappears.

Just now, Guppy99 said:

yes, but then eventually it has to be disposed of. If not while on board,  later. Not like the Junk people where you just point and it magically disappears.

Absolutely, but it is disposed of in a way that doesn't harm the environment.

15 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I’m glad straws are near the top of some people’s priority list rather than mine. 
States are worried about straws, plastic bags and taking away a woman’s right to choose, yet global warming will kill the entire planet soon. 
Well played, mankind. Well played. 

I do believe it is possible to chip away at more than one problem at a time. However, if you are waiting for global warming to be solved before you contribute to the solution of other problems, I think we can count you out.

6 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I do believe it is possible to chip away at more than one problem at a time. However, if you are waiting for global warming to be solved before you contribute to the solution of other problems, I think we can count you out.

I don't believe in doing things that make people feel good but don't actually accomplish anything.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 10:36 AM, KKB said:

Interesting!

I usually carry a steel straw just for this reason--you never know when those pesky mushy ones might show up!

I see these in the stores and I always think that someone should make a steel straw self defense pamphlet…they always look like a great weapon to me, especially if you add a finger stop similar to folding knives.

52 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I think it's safe to count me out on solving the straw problem. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I think it's safe to count me out on solving the straw problem. 

Au contraire, you are part of the solution by bringing your own plastic straws.  I bet you even share them with your friends.  Nothing says Modern Luxury like a soggy paper straw.

47 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I don't use disposable plastic, and recycle what i do use

If you live in modern society, I suspect that you use a lot of plastic packaging that can't be recycled.  In fact much of the plastic that people feel good about recycling actually doesn't get recycled and ends up in a landfill.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Absolutely, but it is disposed of in a way that doesn't harm the environment.

We took the  All Access tour on Edge, We were very impressed with the  trash management process.. recycling, sorting,  compaction, and ultimate off ship disposal ( not dumped in the sea.. by them)  .and the area where it's done is  well kept,  and not  even smelly. Very dedicated staff....

The laundry area was also very eco conscious...workers  we never meet do their jobs with great pride and care. They  def deserve their cut of the grats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

If you live in modern society, I suspect that you use a lot of plastic packaging that can't be recycled.  In fact much of the plastic that people feel good about recycling actually doesn't get recycled and ends up in a landfill.  

Ok...so to hell with the effort. Bring on the plastic!

• Haha 1

We have been on MSC Seashore last year and they had fully biodegradable straws that felt, looked and „tasted“ like plastic.

Much better than those paper things which we hate! 

So we took one with us to our Apex sailing in December as we knew Celebrity has those paper straws.

We met the Food & Beverage Manager (Lazar) and talked about the paper straws - he said he knows about the problems and put it on point: „they suck“. So we told him about the straws they use on MSC and showed him the plastic-type (which was still sealed). He was very fascinated and asked if he can keep it - that‘s why we brought it with us the very long way so we agreed, of course.

Maybe it was worth our effort if they now roll out those straws! Hoping to see them on our Edge cruise in November 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 10:44 PM, Wineaux007 said:

I'm currently on Eclipse.  Paper straws won't hold up for one bloody mary.  I haven't seen any other type.

Interesting! I didn't find the straws to get the gross paper feel after using them for a while. Maybe they are only in some bars or locations? 

On 5/11/2022 at 3:33 AM, UniPac said:

We have been on MSC Seashore last year and they had fully biodegradable straws that felt, looked and „tasted“ like plastic.

So we took one with us to our Apex sailing in December as we knew Celebrity has those paper straws.

We met the Food & Beverage Manager (Lazar) and talked about the paper straws - he said he knows about the problems and put it on point: „they suck“. So we told him about the straws they use on MSC and showed him the plastic-type (which was still sealed). He was very fascinated and asked if he can keep it - that‘s why we brought it with us the very long way so we agreed, of course.

Maybe it was worth our effort if they now roll out those straws! Hoping to see them on our Edge cruise in November 🙂

If the straws were from straw fish then we thank you. We just were on the Summit. The straws were wonderful and biodegradable.I have a sensitivity issue so need to use straws.

11 minutes ago, jjikids said:

If the straws were from straw fish then we thank you. We just were on the Summit. The straws were wonderful and biodegradable.I have a sensitivity issue so need to use straws.

You must have taken all the good straws with you.  I’m currently on the Summit and all I’ve been offered are the old paper straws.  So I’ll continue to use my plastic straws.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:33 AM, UniPac said:

The fact that RCI is using the biodegradable plastic straws or at least we had them last week leads me to believe that X will also make this move. And you’re 100% correct. They’re great.