72 hrs/48 hrs or 3 days/2 days for pre-cruise testing

amusea

The Silversea website seems to always quote hours rather than days for pre-cruise testing.  My travel agent asked Silversea for a clarification and their answer was that the test had to be administered 

72 hours prior to sailing (PCR) and 48 hours prior to sailing (Antigen).  Other sources say it is prior to  embarkation rather than sailing..

But embarkation is listed between 2 PM and 4 PM for our cruise and the sailing is at 6 PM.  Confusing.

That is why most cruise lines have gone to the 3 day/2 day formula.  Basically if I can't get an Antigen test until 4 PM or 6 PM two days before the cruise I will probably have to get it on the morning before my flight or at the port.  Not changing to days rather than hours is not only an inconvenience but it shows a lack

of understanding of the problem.  I wonder how specific the port officers will be about the time stamped on the test result.

The EU rule is 24 hours before boarding a cruise ship. The location where you're boarding (apparently not in the EU) most likely determines what you are required to do--it's not at Silversea's discretion if the test is meant to comply with government policies.

I agree that the rules that use days instead of hours, like the CDC rules for entering the US, make things simpler.

You ask how hey are at the port.  If our experience is anything to go by at Lisbon very.  Because of a delay we were ad bit late from the airport and we’re two hours out of the time limit.  They tested us again

For those in the UK there is a test station in arrivals at Heathrow T5 (and others). We are booked in for a test at 2020 hours (the last slots) and staying at the Sofitel overnight to fly out first thing. So would easily be within time parameters even with delays.

We're getting ready to leave for a cruise in Europe, so I've googled around for convenient testing sites before we board and before we fly back to the US.  Fortunately, for the itinerary we're on, there seem to be plenty.  There is also the proctored at-home test alternative, although that apparently requires a laptop. 

20 minutes ago, alc13 said:

There is also the proctored at-home test alternative, although that apparently requires a laptop. 

We did ours (Binax Now / eMed) only with a cell phone. It's easier if you download their Navica app first (BEFORE you leave the US).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 1:56 PM, amusea said:

The Silversea website seems to always quote hours rather than days for pre-cruise testing.  My travel agent asked Silversea for a clarification and their answer was that the test had to be administered 

72 hours prior to sailing (PCR) and 48 hours prior to sailing (Antigen).  Other sources say it is prior to  embarkation rather than sailing..

It seems as thought Silversea has as many answers to this question as it has phone agents.

Here is what the my TA forwarded to me with respect to testing. It came from Silversea today for our May 30 (Monday) embarkation in Reykjavik:

"PRE-CRUISE TESTING REQUIREMENTS

• Fully Vaccinated Guests: If your clients are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (but have not received an additional dose or booster), they must provide a negative Antigen or PCR test result, taken no more than 48 hours prior to boarding their ship.
  • Up To Date Vaccinated Guests: If your clients are up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines, they must provide a negative Covid-19 Antigen or PCR test result, taken no more than 72 hours prior to boarding their ship.
  • The test may be administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy OR a self-test at home, verified by a third party. The Certificate must contain the guest's name (as shown on the cruise ticket, as well as date of test, and result). The guest must provide a digital or printed proof upon embarkation.

Please note: Silversea will NOT be providing pier-side testing for embarking guests; as such, it is imperative all guests arrive to the pier with their individual negative test result. If guests arrive for embarkation without a valid negative test result, they will be denied boarding. "

We are leaving for Iceland on Friday afternoon, so we're aiming to antigen test 9am PDT or later that morning, to correspond with 4pm Friday in Reykjavik, which is 72 hours before (the end of announced) embarkation.

I would be very interested to know if anyone else got this email, either directly or through their TA, and how it corresponds to what actually happens at the pier.

• Like 1

Thank you for your information from Silversea.  Unfortunately, it seems that each country has specific testing rules about boarding ships.  For instance, we are boarding in Vancouver on June 23 and while Canada has no rules about testing to enter the country, they have specific rules for testing when boarding a ship at a Canadian port.  And those seem to be different from what you have shown.  However, none of this makes much sense and I am also concerned about the port official at the embarkation site and what his rules may be.  In any case the regulations from Silversea include the following sentence:  

The test may be administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy OR a self-test at home, verified by a third party. The Certificate must contain the guest's name (as shown on the cruise ticket, as well as date of test, and result).

That seems to infer that the test must list the date but can be administered anytime during the prescribed day - not within 24 or 48 hours of boarding.  It seems we all have to use our best guess and just hope that we will be cleared for embarkation.

Thanks for your response.

One of the reasons for our confusion is that the rules are different for Canada and Silversea  for the pre-embarkation Antigen test:

Silversea Embarkation

All travellers embarking on a ship operating in Canadian waters (even if Canadian port/s are not the embarkation port) are required to provide the following test results regardless of their vaccination status:
Evidence of a negative PCR test result conducted within 72 hours from embarkation, OR
Evidence of a negative Antigen test conducted within 48 hours from embarkation.

Canadian Embarkation rule

Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship

• the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board

Naturally we would prefer using the Canadian regulation but I think that the Silversea rule must be followed.

I think Silversea will be very clear about all this when they email you the cruise ticket 2 weeks prior. Maybe they'll update the language to match Canada's if you're lucky. I would think you could argue for the Canada rule if the 2 days vs 48 hours makes a difference.