Buying Euros In Rome

okiedrifters

We usually have euros in hand when we get to Europe but not enough this time. Is the airport ATM safe to use to get my needed euros? I am assuming it would be at the present exchange rate? Which by the way is awesome today! 

Also, if I find myself in need of more euros while there, are bank ATM’s the only safe ones to use while in Rome? How are their exchange rates?  I have a Capital One bank card that doesn’t charge fees for foreign transactions. 

Help is always appreciated!  Thanks CC buddies! 

You will get the best rates at a bank ATM.

Depending on how much currency you need and the fees charged by your bank, it may be worthwhile to buy it before leaving home.  When I've needed larger amounts (for villa payments, for example) I bought it from the bank, for lesser amounts bank ATMs in country are the way to go.

43 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You will get the best rates at a bank ATM.

Depending on how much currency you need and the fees charged by your bank, it may be worthwhile to buy it before leaving home.  When I've needed larger amounts (for villa payments, for example) I bought it from the bank, for lesser amounts bank ATMs in country are the way to go.

Thanks…we usually buy from our bank, but our local branch closed so we changed to the credit union which doesn’t offer the service. We use a Capital One debit card to get cash for travel only when out of the US as there are no bank or foreign transaction fees. And if it should get stolen/hacked, the thief does not have access to our everyday bank account (we just replenish this account with cash via online transfer as needed during our trip). We use CC for purchases, etc. 

Edited by okiedrifters

I'm a bancomat person, too.  Beware the ATMs at the airport - some of them are not really ATMs but machines associated with those money changers so you will get charged transaction fees, regardless of the card you use.  

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'm a bancomat person, too.  Beware the ATMs at the airport - some of them are not really ATMs but machines associated with those money changers so you will get charged transaction fees, regardless of the card you use.  

Thanks slidergirl…hubby is a retired commercial pilot so we know to always avoid those machines/kiosks. 😅 

• Like 2