How likely is my GTY Balcony going to stay at current assignment?

Booked a GTY on Oasis departing June 10.  Did the "Apple Wallet Trick" and we love where they put us! But since it hasnt been officially assigned we could still be moved.  Anyone know general odds of staying where it is? Does it USUALLY stay what it is showing in apple wallet or does it often change?

Once a stateroom is assigned, that assignment becomes your booked stateroom.  You can, however, request to have it changed to a different stateroom within the assigned category if available.  This is frequently done if there is an alternate location preference available within the assigned category.

Just do a mock booking for your assigned category where you select your stateroom and that will show available staterooms within that category.  Then just contact your TA, or if booked directly, contact RCCL and request the new stateroom be assigned to your booking number instead.

You can only move staterooms within the originally assigned category, however.  I realize you indicate you are happy with your location - I only mention this in case you or others are not aware you have this option.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Glad you like what you got! We've been lucky so far with our GTY assignments and haven't wanted to try to switch.

We're doing a B2B with both guaranteed in July so that should be fun. It's like playing the lottery twice. 🤞

9 minutes ago, sowhat said:

We had our gty allocated  changed due to covid separation  regulations  ,         but on board ship the allocated good cabin was occupied

The Covid situation with quarantine stateroom allocations has reportedly created occasional stateroom change issues. But those are unique and out of the ordinary circumstances when that does occur.  Other than for a situation like that, once a stateroom is assigned it remains the booked stateroom.

6 minutes ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

What is this Apple wallet trick and when can you do it.?

When you are issued your set sail pass (after check-in), save it to the Apple wallet and you will see a string a numbers under the barcode. The last 4-6 numbers or so indicate your deck and room number.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

leaveitallbehind (go Birds! born and raised in Mont. Country, wife is from Bucks, moved here in 2000), got a couple questions for you with 2 GTY's coming up in July...

You seem well versed in requesting changes to GTY cabin assignments. As I mentioned, I've booked several but never wanted to switch. I'm aware of the bar code trick to see my assignment early.

1. Am I correct in assuming I cannot request a change until I get the official assignment?

2. I used a TA for the first time in forever for these. Does the TA have to make the request on my behalf or can I do it myself?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by OCSC Mike

3 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

leaveitallbehind (go Birds! born and raised in Mont. Country, wife is from Bucks, moved here in 2000), got a couple questions for you with 2 GTY's coming up in July...

You seem well versed in requesting changes to GTY cabin assignments. As I mentioned, I've booked several but never wanted to switch. I'm aware of the bar code trick to see my assignment early.

1. Am I correct in assuming I cannot request a change until I get the official assignment?

2. I used a TA for the first time in forever for these. Does the TA have to make the request on my behalf or can I do it myself?

Thanks in advance!

As you booked the GTY through the TA then they would also be the ones to make the change.  But that actually simplifies the process (v direct bookings) as - assuming you have a live person v on-line "agent" - while on the phone with them they can look at their booking tool to see available staterooms and facilitate the change directly as you discuss the options.

But if done with on on-line agency, just email them and they should be able to facilitate the change.  I would just do a mock booking opting to "select my own stateroom" to see what is available first and provide a 2 or 3 options with your email to assure availability when they actually get around to processing your request.

My understanding is that if the assigned stateroom appears via the barcode, then that is the assigned stateroom.  So if you know it, they should know it, and the change can be made.

...and yes, Go Birds!  Should be an interesting season after what IMO was a great draft!  (25 year season ticket holder here - seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ready to see more good again to not see ugly)!

Thanks. It's a live TA (colleague of my wife's friend who is TA but passed us along to someone who knows RC better). TBH, I'm not sure she's all that well-versed in the tips & tricks of RC but she got us a much lower price on those cruises than I could see on the RC site and she was very nice so it should work out fine. If we want to switch, I'll explain the bar code trick to her and go from there.

Best part of the draft was getting a proven WR, not one from the draft directly, lol. Agreed, it went very well and can't help but be somewhat optimistic about this season. Early schedule looks favorable so would be nice to get off to a good start.

Edited by OCSC Mike

37 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

If we want to switch, I'll explain the bar code trick to her and go from there.

Early schedule looks favorable so would be nice to get off to a good start.

All she would do is go on the agents booking site with your booking number and the assigned stateroom will appear on that record.  She would then just go to the sailing date for your ship and look at the category assigned by the stateroom number and it will show her all available staterooms in that category.  If you decide to move to one all she would do is edit the stateroom information to drop out your current one and enter the new one,  Once saved she would be able to issue you an updated booking confirmation indicating the new stateroom.  

Kind of like the schedule as well - 2 Monday night and 2 Sunday night games, with the home opener on week two, Monday night v Vikings  Should be fun!

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If you decide to move to one all she would do is edit the stateroom information to drop out your current one and enter the new one,  Once saved she would be able to issue you an updated booking confirmation indicating the new stateroom.

Wait, she does this without contacting RC?

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Wait, she does this without contacting RC?

She would be on the RCCL agents booking site. In that manner she is contacting RCCL. There is a public customer website and a seperate agents booking website with RCCL.  (If you book directly on line - or call RCCL - you are using the customer website). If you book through a TA they use the agents booking site. 

She can manage the booking through that on line - she does not need (nor should she want, with the current hold times!) to talk directly with RCCL. (She also has an outside agent's rep and inside support rep to assist if needed with issues, etc.).  All bookings are originated and managed by a TA in this manner.  She can speak to them if need be, but a stateroom change is simple and easily done through the agents booking site.

Thanks for the education. I knew TA's went through a different website/interface but didn't realize they had that much control. It makes sense now that you explained it.

Have a cheesesteak for me. You have no idea how many transplants were at the Wawa grand openings when it first came to Florida. Picked up many a hoagie during covid. We also have a water ice chain I like better than Rita's... explaining what "water ice" is to a Floridian is pretty amusing.

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks for the education. I knew TA's went through a different website/interface but didn't realize they had that much control. It makes sense now that you explained it.

Have a cheesesteak for me. You have no idea how many transplants were at the Wawa grand openings when it first came to Florida. Picked up many a hoagie during covid. We also have a water ice chain I like better than Rita's... explaining what "water ice" is to a Floridian is pretty amusing.

TA's have full control over your booking and can handle virtually anything necessary in managing that booking online through their site. Failing that, as mentioned, they have an outside and inside support rep along with the standard RCCL contacts to assist.

Give me your address and I will FedEx a Pat's Steak (or another of your choice) to you.....LOL

Hard to explain the whole cheesesteak thing to a non-Philly person.  Its the bread......