Uniworld Egyptian Cruise (Cairo to Cairo)??

Linda VH

Thanks Mrs Claypool:  We’re there any solo travelers on board?  It would be my first solo trip since widowed (late 2018) but it looks like a great cruise.  Googling “best time to Egypt” it says September thru April but I guess May figures in just as well?

In our group of 20 there was one solo woman in her 80’s. She was coddled and cared for by the staff as if she was Cleopatra herself! 

In 2019 we travelled in November; excellent weather, neither too hot nor too cold. Looking at our group photo, we were all wearing t-shirts and long pants or shorts. 

May appears to be the “shoulder season”, so it will probably will be getting warmer.  The real heat evidently starts in June. 

I just returned from the Sphinx and had one of my best cruises ever- even including many years of ocean cruising.   I travel solo and enjoy it. In addition to me, there was another female traveling solo also.    I received lots of exceptional service and met many people. The itinerary was demanding physically but was so much fun and very educational.  have now done 3 solo cruises with Uniworld. The other 2 waived the single supplement but do not see that happening with the Sphinx due to the popularity of it. 

12 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

I just returned from the Sphinx and had one of my best cruises ever- even including many years of ocean cruising.   I travel solo and enjoy it. In addition to me, there was another female traveling solo also.    I received lots of exceptional service and met many people. The itinerary was demanding physically but was so much fun and very educational.  have now done 3 solo cruises with Uniworld. The other 2 waived the single supplement but do not see that happening with the Sphinx due to the popularity of it. 

We are thinking about doing a trip to Egypt.  Can you give us more specifics as to your comments regarding demanding physically.   We do walk about 3 miles/day but relatively flat and even surfaces. Just wondering about that aspect of the trip.

Good day,

We, too, did a similar cruise with Uniworld in early 2019. Our cruise itinerary was actually 1 week from Luxor to Aswan to Luxor. This was preceded and followed by a couple days in Cairo. Cairo to Luxor and back were via short flights. Very good hotel in Cairo - Four Seasons on the Nile R.

We were supposed to be on the Sphinx, but the fire delayed her launch, so we were put on the Tosca, which was very good. The staff was great for service. Food and accommodation was very good. The wifi was spotty some days requiring multiple logons, but that was a minor annoyance.

Our guide was very good - an educated Egyptologist who gave just the right amount of information and never hesitated to respond to questions.

Our larger group was divided into smaller day tour groups; ours was 22.

We took both optional excursions, one to Abu Simbel and the dawn hot air balloon trip over the Valley of the Kings and close by sites. Both were well worth the time and expense. 

One of our group asked the chef what camel tasted like; the next day, the chef went to a local market and acquired a camel roast which he cooked for us. 

We had also added the pre-extension to Jordan. Also, an excellent choice.

During our trip, I was able to post daily on our blog. Here is the link, if you think the information might be useful for you. Warning - the blog is photo heavy.

https://canucksinegypt.blogspot.com/   (Use the menu icon, top left, to see the earlier posts)

Enjoy your trip.

Salaam

• Like 3

In regards to the physically demanding aspects here is a summary:  There were early wake-up calls such as 5 to 6 am so as to get out before the midday sun and heat .

Even with starting early most days went into the afternoon. Walking was strenuous- lots of irregular  steps, very high steep steps combined with very low steps at same venue kept one's eyes on the ground. Surfaces uneven at most sights- stones on sand.  A few higher than comfortable jumps 

into small boats on some of the tours. 

Recommend very good walking shoes, wide-brimmed hats, loose cotton or linen light colored clothing. Make your totes as light as possible. Water was offered freely on the buses and there was a cold water system which was great for refilling bottles. All buses had a toilet. 

This is probably worse example- on last day of trip in Cairo- wake up was at 5:30am for me to embark on the tour of Pyramids and Memphis with return to hotel by 4pm.   I was picked up for drive to airport at 9:15pm for a flight that left at 1:15am.   Due to the traffic and multiple checkpoints at the airport, was left with one hour before boarding.   This was worse timing I was aware of and unfortunately did not sleep on the 4 hour plus flight to Paris!    was it worth it-  ABSOLUTELY YES !

i AM RECOMMENDING THE 12 DAY BE EXTENDED INTO 14-15 so to enjoy the amenities of the Four Seasons and the Sphinx .

• Like 1

The comments from everyone are quite accurate.  I am a solo female traveller in a group put together by a Travel Agency.  We did this trip in late February 2020.  I got home the day before the first confirmed COVID case in my state.  The tours, accommodations, EVERYTHING by Uniworld was fantastic.  The crew onboard couldn’t have been better.  Be prepared for a very physical trip.  The days are long and the walking is difficult.  But, it is well worth it.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

One tip — I take a ton of pictures when I travel.  I use a camera.  Many, many places in Egypt charge a fee for doing so.  However, smartphone cameras can be used just about everywhere and don’t require a fee.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on this trip for early December.  Trying to decide if we should make final payment or cancel.  Concerned about activity level . Just did Viking Amsterdam to Bucharest with Transylvania extension.

Also has anyone booked air through Uniworld.  What are the pros and cons ?