Christmas Market Cruises

jimmymac613

I can't answer your question specifically, the Christmas Market cruise we went on was on the Main. Starting in Frankfurt cruising to Nurenberg and then land to Prague. We were able to visit the markets in Frankfurt pre cruise, markets during cruise, Wurzberg, Bamberg and Nuremberg and then Prague. 

I would suggest you research the various markets the cruise/s your interested in, are likely to visit - ie opening hours and days. You may find your time in port does not match the time the markets are open - one of our stops only had markets on a weekend. If you google German Christmas markets you should get info about different towns etc. 

Also remember it will be getting dark at around 4.00 pm in Dec.

Edited by vada_9

I must admit that I would choose the Main river for Christmas markets. As regards ports at the other two rivers I myself would find it difficult to choose. There are a few people on this board who have done both Rhine and Danube. Hopefully they will read your question.

Something to note is the dates - vada_9  has hinted at it. Check when the first markets open and then check along the itinerary you want to book. Sunday of the Dead sees most Christmas markets closed.

notamermaid

I may be the odd on here, I have been on Christmas Market trips on the Danube, Rhine and Main rivers.  Each have a different feel but I agree with notamermaid the Main was my favorite, more charming stops. I love Rothenburg ob her Tauber it is magical at Christmastime we included a 2 night stay on or way to Nuremberg for our second Christmas Market trip ending in Vienna.

Second seating

So glad you asked this question. A friend and I are considering a Christmas Market cruise in 2023 and we're trying to figure out how to narrow down our choices. 

Those who have done CM cruises, what line(s) did you sail with and would you choose those again?

I'm doing a Christmas cruise thru The Netherlands and Belgium this coming December on Tauck.  I will be in Antwerp on Christmas Day and figured everything except churches would be closed.  My research indicates that Belgian Christmas markets are open on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and on into January.  Maybe @notamermaid can confirm this.

@Second seating, my first river cruise was on Uniworld and I did 2 more after that.  This will be my first time on Tauck so I'm anxious to see how it compares.

@Roz To be honest, I do not know much about the Belgian Christmas markets. Have not been to one for many years. In the past I have used brochures and websites for planning, just have not been able to fit the markets into my plans in the end. There are some lovely small ones in castles and small towns. I think the official tourism websites are best for looking at this. For specific info send an e-mail or look at town websites. Belgium tourism is split into regions, this is the site: https://visitbelgium.com/

It is interesting  - and important for planning - to understand subtle differences in "attitude". German markets observe the Christian holidays and close down for the year mostly on 23 December. You will need to check individual markets for details. It appears that the adherence to this and how long markets are open after Christmas Eve may well be different in other countries.

Of course, the size of the place is an indication - the bigger the more likely to be touristy and open after Christmas - but it is only an indication. Again, check individual places.

On 5/26/2022 at 4:10 AM, Second seating said:

I love Rothenburg ob her Tauber it is magical at Christmastime

After having seen the town in Summer, I can well imagine that. It is of course on the Tauber and not the Main river, so will be an excursion. It could be full of tourists any time of year, but I still recommend going. If you are into town walls and fortifications, this is the place to go to. Apart from a "few" other attractions in that place...

Not sure what it is about the Main and Franconia but I am drawn to the area. My ideal Christmas market cruise itinerary would be Frankfurt to Nuremberg, or even just up to Bamberg.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 1:53 PM, NBG1998 said:

So glad you asked this question. A friend and I are considering a Christmas Market cruise in 2023 and we're trying to figure out how to narrow down our choices. 

Those who have done CM cruises, what line(s) did you sail with and would you choose those again?

We have been on two Christmas cruises, both on the Danube.  We did one on Avalon and one on Viking.  Both were outstanding.  If you choose the Danube, be sure your cruise includes Nurenberg, as not all of them do.  We did Nuremberg to Budapest on year and the opposite direction two years later.  Stay a couple of extra days on each end if you are able.  Both Budapest and Nuremberg are facinating cities.  The Christmas markets in Vienna are beautiful.  If you have any interest in WWII, be sure to visit the Rally Grounds and Documentation Center in Nuremberg, facinating.  The Christmas markets in Budapest are wonderful and be sure to get some hot chocolate.  You have to eat it with a spoon!  Yum

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 9:27 PM, jimmymac613 said:

Are Christmas Market cruises better on the Danube or the Rhine?

Yes!!!! 😜

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.

You won’t go wrong with either. The more time the ship spends in a city in the evening, the better.