Question about type of Covid Test

baz48

I've searched the board, but cannot find an answer to this question.  Does Regent accept the results from a Rapid NAAT test if done at a pharmacy (Walgreen's) within the rquired 48 hours of check-in at the pier?  Their website says "Covid-19 PCR or Antigen test".  I can't find anywhere that defines exactly which types of tests fall within that category of Antigen test.  Has anyone used the Rapid NAAT test done at Walgreen's or another pharmacy?

I think it is best to contact Regent and to get something in writing if Regent verbally says Rapid NAAT results are okay.  The potential problem is that check-in can be chaotic and staff may not actually know about anything other than PCR or Antigen testing if those are the only tests mentioned in Regent's guidelines.  

1 minute ago, CJANDH said:

I think you will find the Walgreens still offer antigen tests as well as NAAT tests.

You are correct.  But the antigen test is only done at a Walgreens about an hour away, whereas the NAAT test is done at several Walgreens within 15 minutes.  Hoping to not have to drive over 2 hours if I don't have to.  🙂

4 hours ago, baz48 said:

I've searched the board, but cannot find an answer to this question.  Does Regent accept the results from a Rapid NAAT test if done at a pharmacy (Walgreen's) within the rquired 48 hours of check-in at the pier?  Their website says "Covid-19 PCR or Antigen test".  I can't find anywhere that defines exactly which types of tests fall within that category of Antigen test.  Has anyone used the Rapid NAAT test done at Walgreen's or another pharmacy?

Definitely!  Used it earlier this month (it was also done at Walgreens).

Edited by LoveRegent2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, LoveRegent2 said:

Definitely!  Used it earlier this month (it was also done at Walgreens).

Great news!  Thanks for your first hand account.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with Regent regarding an upcoming Mediterranean cruise on Explorer ... they were quite explicit in saying "no" to the NAAT test for my sailing, with the caveat that things could change ... they seemed to understand the distinction between PCR and NAAT, and that some sailings allow NAAT and some don't. Perhaps it's an EU thing ...

This is of course very frustrating because the NAAT test is more reliable than the antigen test, which is accepted. And, as someone noted, it's getting very difficult to find a rapid antigen testing site. PCR test results are too slow -- I'd rather know before I board the plane whether I'll be allowed on the ship.

Of course, at actual embarkation, the port folks may accept a NAAT test. Or they may not (and require a test at the pier).

That's interesting.  We boarded in New York with the rapid NAAT results from Walgreen's with no problem.  Of course, as you say, it may be different in each country.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, baz48 said:

Rapid antigen test is accepted, we did our test at a London testing clinic the day before boarding.