Live: Crown Princess Alaska / May 28-June 4, 2022

QuilterGirl

18 hours ago, QuilterGirl said:

No crab legs on the Crown last week, on the formal nights or any others.  😞

thanks for letting me know and BUMMER!  will research local eats then in the ports.

Onboard this week our first Princess cruise. Underwhelmed so far from the shenanigans with the schedule to start the trip and whack a mole excursion changes and lack of choices to change. Dine my way was problematic when we showed up without reservations and couldn’t have a table for 2 until after 8 and the reservations were full first for the rest of the week. So much for my time dining it’s their time. Please make your reservations for dinner before coming. Horizon Court has been Meh. Crowded today with only one side open until Noon and long lines with little replenishment of deserts. Only 1735 passengers would hate to see what a full ship looks like. Haven’t seen or heard from Jody the cruise director (missing in action) assistant doing all the work. Good news the weather has been great and is expected to continue and all crew interactions have been to a high standard. Based on 30+ cruises and generally we’re pretty easy to please. 

• Like 1

Is the DaVinci dining room available for dining anytime on this cruise? Or is it for traditional early/late dining? We would like to dine there if the vibration is less intense than the other dining rooms. Also, are some restaurants still closed this week?

Onboard this week our first Princess cruise. Underwhelmed so far from the shenanigans with the schedule to start the trip and whack a mole excursion changes and lack of choices to change. Dine my way was problematic when we showed up without reservations and couldn’t have a table for 2 until after 8 and the reservations were full first for the rest of the week. So much for my time dining it’s their time. Please make your reservations for dinner before coming. Horizon Court has been Meh. Crowded today with only one side open until Noon and long lines with little replenishment of deserts. Only 1735 passengers would hate to see what a full ship looks like. Haven’t seen or heard from Jody the cruise director (missing in action) assistant doing all the work. Good news the weather has been great and is expected to continue and all crew interactions have been to a high standard. Based on 30+ cruises and generally we’re pretty easy to please. 

We ate in the Botticelli dining room tonight and the vibration/noise was pronounced. The wife said she would prefer not to dine there again. When making reservations you can choose Botticelli or Davinci  depending on space available and I would choose the midship dining room Davinci. Make sure to book before you cruise or you’ll end up like us with limited choices. Food has been very good in the dining rooms. We’ve had the pan seared cod, halibut and duck all being very good. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rrshinn said:

We ate in the Botticelli dining room tonight and the vibration/noise was pronounced. The wife said she would prefer not to dine there again. When making reservations you can choose Botticelli or Davinci  depending on space available and I would choose the midship dining room Davinci. Make sure to book before you cruise or you’ll end up like us with limited choices. Food has been very good in the dining rooms. We’ve had the pan seared cod, halibut and duck all being very good. 

We are on as well this week.  We’ve shown up to DaVinci both nights without reservations and been seated within 5 minutes.

4 hours ago, rrshinn said:

Haven’t seen or heard from Jody the cruise director (missing in action) assistant doing all the work. 

She was supposed to be at the Blue Cruiser Bash, it was announced that she was ill and that's why she wasn't there and hasn't been around. Considering the times we're in, she's being responsible. 

1 hour ago, Bubbletubs said:

Is the DaVinci dining room available for dining anytime on this cruise? Or is it for traditional early/late dining? We would like to dine there if the vibration is less intense than the other dining rooms. Also, are some restaurants still closed this week?

It looks like both restaurants have a reserved line and no reservations line.

Michaelangelo's on Deck 5 is still closed and so is the Salty Dog Pub is as well.

Edited by [Big Z]
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, [Big Z] said:

It looks like both restaurants have a reserved line and no reservations line.

Michaelangelo's on Deck 5 is still closed and so is the Salty Dog Pub is as well.

Well shoot,  DH was looking forward to the pub food

19 minutes ago, sjde said:

Isn’t the Salty Dog Grill basically the same food as the Salty Dog Pub? 

The menus are pretty different.  One is just hamburgers, hot dogs, and tacos (grill).  While the Pub is considered a specialty with more gourmet type dishes.  The Lobster Mac & Cheese sounded yummy to me!!

Salty Dog Grill

Salty Dog Pub

Edited by jk04
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sjde said:

Isn’t the Salty Dog Grill basically the same food as the Salty Dog Pub? 

The Salty Dog Grill was the typical complimentary poolside eatery on the Lido deck that served burgers & hotdogs cooked on a griddle.  Fries and street tacos were on the menu as well.  The Salty Dog Pub on the Crown is a specialty restaurant located in the Wheelhouse bar on the Crown, it was closed on our cruise as well.  It is where the "Ernesto" burger is featured which was voted on as the "Best burger at sea" by Cruise Critic.  We were looking forward to trying it.  The menu looked good to us and had other items we were looking forward to especially the coffee & doughnuts from the dessert menu.

Grill: https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/ships/products/menus/Salty-Dog-Grill-Menu.pdf

Pub:  https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/salty-dog-menu.pdf

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChimneyTenders said:

Do you work in the corp office for Princess or Cunard?

You obviously have not been following my recent posts from the  May 7th Crown sailing if you think I work in corporate for Princess.

Anyways I use CC for info when I cruise, just relaying what I read and experienced to someone who had a question.  

Edited by JeffT237
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Bubbletubs said:

There is currently no traditional dining on Princess. One may make a reservation or you just show up. The new program that’s been going on for a little while now, it’s called dine my way. So basically anytime the dining room is open you can dine in there, no reservations needed ,but you can make a reservation and you can switch between dining rooms you don’t have to go to the same dining room each night and you can get a different table every night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arizonaperson said:

There is currently no traditional dining on Princess. One may make a reservation or you just show up. The new program that’s been going on for a little while now, it’s called dine my way. So basically anytime the dining room is open you can dine in there, no reservations needed ,but you can make a reservation and you can switch between dining rooms you don’t have to go to the same dining room each night and you can get a different table every night.

Ah OK thanks! I thought they still had one dining room set aside for traditional dining only. Hope you have a great time, despite the challenges!

Was on the May 14th  Crown cruise. We did our reservations for dinner (Davinci) before boarding but wanted to change the time one night. 

The app or course did not work. Went earlier in day to switch it with dining room crew and they could not switch it either. 

However they said (and it worked!) to use the in the hallway interactive screens. Easy peasy worked great for changing or making reservations. 

Just an FYI even tho we had the shots and wore masks in crowds, both my husband and I tested positive for Covid two days after the cruise. No air travel involved as we live near Seattle. And a friend drove us there and back. 

Could have gotten it in port, but doubt it. 

It was light cases and got over it quickly, but lost a week of work. 

I would suggest wearing the masks everywhere……

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

This is the most clear definition I have seen...thanks

Edited by ImperialLady

4 hours ago, Toast357 said:

We are on the Crown in the Fall.  Can anyone tell me what are the nightly show times in the main theatre?  Are they the same for sea days and port days?  Thanks

Probably best to look at Crown Patters now,but also check when it gets closer to your itinerary in the fall . Maybe someone will do a Live from right  before your itinerary. The Princess theater has production shows( Encore, Sweet Soul , & Blame it on the Boogie)comedians,,magicians,etc. So some evenings will be slightly different Times, first show is anywhere between 7-7:30 pm start time and late show start time anywhere between 9:00-9:45 pm.

Of course there is usually a marriage show and other shows going on in a smaller venue like Explorers Lounge.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

@Toast357, showtimes have been generally 7:30 and 9:30.  This was true last week, and this week so far, for Production Numbers (the big shows).  Today - Juneau - what with our late arrival and being our first port (so folks will want to get off the ship and because many excursions will run later than those showtimes), the showtime is 4:00-4:45 (one show only) with a comedian.  And Libby Riddles will be in the theater from 8:30-9:30 tonight. 

It may be that extra shows will be added when there are more passengers (that is, three shows per Production Number) - so it is possible that show times will change by the time you sail.

• Like 2