Delta or Virgin Atlantic?

Free2bMeForever

I’m currently booked (through Delta) in “Upper” class on a VA flight in mid August  to LHR.  Because of flight changes, I now have the option of moving to a Delta flight in Delta One.  Is there a significant difference between service on these 2 airlines?  The VA flight is on a Boeing 787-9 through JFK with a 4.5 hour layover while the Delta flight would be on a 757 through ATL with a 2.5 hour layover.  Thanks for your opinions. 

I think you mean a 767-400 on Delta.

I personally prefer the service on Virgin Atlantic (which is VX by the way, not VA which is Virgin Australia).  And the layout on the 787 is a herringbone style, rather than the Thompson Vantage seats on the 767.  OTOH, the VX seats are a strange duck -- they recline some, but you need to have them "flipped" by the crew to turn them into a bed.  (Which they gladly do on your request) So if you are going for a solid night sleep, the VX seats make for a better sleeping surface.  If you want to be able to adjust your seat up and down and recline and bed and the like, then the DL seat is a bit more flexible (though the footwell is tight in the flat position.)

If going through JFK, be sure to use the Virgin Clubhouse, which is a far nicer lounge than what you would get from Delta.  You can get a full sit-down dinner - if you want, then skip the onboard meal and just sleep right away.  And the VX Clubhouse in London for the return is wonderful -- worth having a flight delay just so you can enjoy it.

20 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I personally prefer the service on Virgin Atlantic (which is VX by the way, not VA which is Virgin Australia).

Sorry for the pedantry, but to avoid confusion for the OP at the airport:

VA = Virgin Australia

VS = Virgin Atlantic

VX = the former, but now defunct, Virgin America

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Sorry for the pedantry, but to avoid confusion for the OP at the airport:

VA = Virgin Australia

VS = Virgin Atlantic

VX = the former, but now defunct, Virgin America

DAMN.  You are so so so right.  And I should know that.

And as punishment, I will fly BA EuroTraveller in a middle seat between two large football hooligans on their way to a match in....oh, what the furthest EuroTraveller route....maybe ATH?  With 29 inch pitch.

Too late to edit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2022 at 6:11 PM, Free2bMeForever said:

I’m currently booked (through Delta) in “Upper” class on a VA flight in mid August  to LHR.  Because of flight changes, I now have the option of moving to a Delta flight in Delta One.  Is there a significant difference between service on these 2 airlines?  The VA flight is on a Boeing 787-9 through JFK with a 4.5 hour layover while the Delta flight would be on a 757 through ATL with a 2.5 hour layover.  Thanks for your opinions. 

i fly delta pretty religiously and they have recently refurbished there delta one (well the entire interior) on the 767-400. delta's inflight service is great.

• Like 1

We are TOTALLY spoiled with Delta One!  I can't always spring for it but I try every way from Sunday to get any kind of deal!  I'm in Virgin Atlantic's Premium Select class for an upcoming (overnight) run to the UK.  Not really looking forward to sitting upright all night long.  No sleep for me on this one!

23 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

i fly delta pretty religiously and they have recently refurbished there delta one (well the entire interior) on the 767-400. delta's inflight service is great.

I enjoy Delta One and have experience with the 767-400.  I have not flown on a refurbished plane as the video shows.  No experience with Virgin Atlantic.  

23 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We are TOTALLY spoiled with Delta One!  I can't always spring for it but I try every way from Sunday to get any kind of deal!  I'm in Virgin Atlantic's Premium Select class for an upcoming (overnight) run to the UK.  Not really looking forward to sitting upright all night long.  No sleep for me on this one!

After posting this I just could not get it off my mind. I called the Delta Medallion line today and got switched over from VA to DL metal...with Delta One seating.

• Like 1