How to request a specific Butler in YC?

HipHipOnAShip

So last month on the Divina we took a tour of the YC (PS, yes you can do this.  Arrange through "regular" guest relations and they offer tours around 4pm each day for those who want a quick sneak peak.).  On this tour we met a lovely Butler who said that he had worked his way up from room attendant.  He boasted that he was so good that guests "requested his station/area" in the YC.

My question is, how would you go about doing this as the Butlers are assigned to specific cabins, and there's really no way of knowing whom you will get based on your cabin.  Has anyone ever requested a particular Butler?  If so, how do you go about doing it?

PS - the reason we are interested is that our gent on the Mera was a total Dud!  He told us right when we met him that this was his last cruise and that his contract was being cut short due to poor performance.... Hoping to get a better one this next trip

I'd guess most have moved up from room attendant or similar position.  Most of the YC staff is very good.  If you get a dud on day one, ask YC Director. OR book a RS and should not be an issue.

50 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

PS - the reason we are interested is that our gent on the Mera was a total Dud!  He told us right when we met him that this was his last cruise and that his contract was being cut short due to poor performance.... Hoping to get a better one this next trip

Was this in YC? Surprised they would let him stay dealing with customers..

1 hour ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

On this tour we met a lovely Butler who said that he had worked his way up from room attendant. 

I don't know how you would request a specific butler, unless you were friends with them on social media and knew what area they were working in to see if cabins were available.  You did get me thinking when you mentioned the butler you met.  By any chance was it Onil Jay?  We met him back in 2018 when he was a YC pool guard/attendant.  He was fabulous and we have stayed in touch since then.  He moved to Jr. Butler years ago and became Butler this year.  Fantastic person with a great smile and warm heart!

image.png.427e4eff693d2af2d185b76d724e579b.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

@JAGR Ding, ding, ding!  You are correct.  It was Onil.  He will be on the Divina in September and he gave us the little tour.

You could try and get to know Onil Jay Pedernal on social media.  I don't know if cabin/work area assignments change much (I doubt wholesale change occurs, maybe a cabin or two), but he may be able to suggest a cabin or cabins you may be interested in. 😉

I will tell you from personal experience on a recent Seashore B2B we were given a chance to switch our YC room for the second week (we ended up not doing it), and our first week butler said that he would make sure that he was still our "assigned" butler.  Not sure if that can be done in your situation, but something to keep in mind.  At the very least, if you do get "associated" with Onil through the book, he can make sure to follow up with your butler to assure that you won't be treated like you were on Meraviglia.

Edited by JAGR

@JAGR  In fact I did reach out yesterday and he responded quite quickly.  He remember our meeting and told us what block of cabins he had.  He was charming and said he'd be honored to help us.  Wow.  I was blown away by his graciousness.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

@JAGR  In fact I did reach out yesterday and he responded quite quickly.  He remember our meeting and told us what block of cabins he had.  He was charming and said he'd be honored to help us.  Wow.  I was blown away by his graciousness.  

Great news!  He is what my DW calls, "Good People!"  We, along with a few fellow passengers we met back in 2018 made it a point to commend him to the YC Director (the great Robert Balla), and singles him out for recognition in our comments cards.  Happy cruising with Onil!

Edited by JAGR

23 hours ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

So last month on the Divina we took a tour of the YC (PS, yes you can do this.  Arrange through "regular" guest relations and they offer tours around 4pm each day for those who want a quick sneak peak.).  On this tour we met a lovely Butler who said that he had worked his way up from room attendant.  He boasted that he was so good that guests "requested his station/area" in the YC.

My question is, how would you go about doing this as the Butlers are assigned to specific cabins, and there's really no way of knowing whom you will get based on your cabin.  Has anyone ever requested a particular Butler?  If so, how do you go about doing it?

Interesting story.  If a Butler had told us that we would have quietly arranged to speak with the Head Butler about an employee with an "attitude."  If not resolved we would have quietly requested a meeting with the ship's Hotel Manager (this is the person that truly runs the ship).  Knowing how to quietly (and politely) elevate an issue is something one learns after a lifetime of travel.  Waiting until you return home to complain does not accomplish anything other than expressing your outrage.

Hank

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting story.  If a Butler had told us that we would have quietly arranged to speak with the Head Butler about an employee with an "attitude."  If not resolved we would have quietly requested a meeting with the ship's Hotel Manager (this is the person that truly runs the ship).  Knowing how to quietly (and politely) elevate an issue is something one learns after a lifetime of travel.  Waiting until you return home to complain does not accomplish anything other than expressing your outrage.

Hank

@Hlitner  Not 'complaining' but rather made the statement that the head butler was a Dud.  Since our Jr/Asst Butler was fine we were overall ok.

Definitely NOT outraged.  Trust me, you don't want to see me when I'm outraged.  😛

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

Trust me, you don't want to see me when I'm outraged.  😛

As the President of my Homeowners Association Board of Trustees, I have seen such outraged homeowners.  Just had another encounter this afternoon.  

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

the ship's Hotel Manager (this is the person that truly runs the ship). 

It amazes me that some experienced cruisers do not understand the importance of whomever holds that position.  The Senior Officers, which is the Master and the HD, set the tone for the crew.  And, the crew will respond to those verbal and non-verbal messages.  

• Like 1

The YC butlers work for the Chief Butler who assigns them to work a block of cabins or to serve in the Top Sail Lounge or pool deck.  If your butler does not satisfy you, talk to the Chief Butler who then answers to the YC Director.

2 hours ago, Capricruiser said:

The YC butlers work for the Chief Butler who assigns them to work a block of cabins or to serve in the Top Sail Lounge or pool deck.  If your butler does not satisfy you, talk to the Chief Butler who then answers to the YC Director.

Interesting.  I always thought the title was Head Butler.

https://www.hosco.com/en/job/msc-cruises/head-butler

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 1:04 PM, JAGR said:

I don't know how you would request a specific butler, unless you were friends with them on social media and knew what area they were working in to see if cabins were available.  You did get me thinking when you mentioned the butler you met.  By any chance was it Onil Jay?  We met him back in 2018 when he was a YC pool guard/attendant.  He was fabulous and we have stayed in touch since then.  He moved to Jr. Butler years ago and became Butler this year.  Fantastic person with a great smile and warm heart!

image.png.427e4eff693d2af2d185b76d724e579b.png

On 6/1/2022 at 9:36 AM, JAGR said:

Great news!  He is what my DW calls, "Good People!"  We, along with a few fellow passengers we met back in 2018 made it a point to commend him to the YC Director (the great Robert Balla), and singles him out for recognition in our comments cards.  Happy cruising with Onil!

Yep.  That young man as a pool attendant back in the day even performed above and beyond other butlers.  We communicated such to the YC Director, and subsequently, to MSC shore side via emails; don't let this talent get away.

Good for him.  There have been some great YC personnel that made the cruises over-the-top special memories; Mario, Roy, Vishnu along with Onil (and many others).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1