Viewing Glaciers by Train vs. Boat - Which is better?

lovn2liv

Since the Trains cannot go through Canada, I cancelled the Best of Skagway and Train ride and booked the Eagle preserve and Lynn Fjord boat and rafting excursion.   How much of the views do you miss if Train cannot go through Canada?    I'm still not sure if i should still book the Train options.   Anyone who has done both, please weigh in.  Really appreciate it.   

I am puzzled by your title since you won't see glaciers except at long distances from either tour. The timing of the year makes a lot of difference on the Eagle sighting. We went once and there were no salmon and therefore no eagles (or any other wildlife). 

Check youtube for each tour and you can see the difference. On the train videos ignore anything past the summit or view 2022 videos. Current trip is round trip so you get a second look at everything. sightcrr

You’ll probably enjoy the Lynn Canal and Eagle Preserve rafting excursion.  The glaciers viewing will be from the cruise ship in Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier or a small boat excursion into Tracy Arm depending on your itinerary.   Actually, it is possible that your ship will go into Tracy Arm but again, it may not depending on the ship and the conditions.

Edited by oaktreerb

The WPYRR and the Alaska RR don't have at least not yet trackage or a marine ferry to

see the glaciers up front like the cruise ships.

Viewing what glaciers that are seen from the trains is distant and unlike the ships the

trains won't be going in circles to get closer for a second look.

So with that - YES glacier visits by ship is really the only option.