NZ and Australian tourist VISA?

2 hours ago, WA Bubbles said:

Does anyone know how far in advance we can apply for both VISAs, we are planning to travel in October 2022.  It is better to apply thru the gov website or central VISA?  

Thank you

From the Australian Home Affairs website, from 6th April, you apply on the Australian ETA app available from the Apple Store or Google Play Store and in most cases you will be notified of the result immediately - Australian ETA  

There is no Visa Application Charge (VAC). There may be an application service charge of AUD20.

You will also need a NZeTA - NZ ETA

For a NZeTA - 

Cost and processing time
Requesting an NZeTA costs NZD $9 through the app or NZD $12 if you use the online form
Allow up to 72 hours for processing, although it could take as little as 10 minutes.

The IVL
If you are entering New Zealand you must also pay an IVL, which funds tourism infrastructure and helps protect our natural environment. You pay the IVL at the same time as you request your NZeTA. The IVL costs NZD $35.

As long as you don't need to renew or replace your passport, you can obtain your ETA or NZeTA anytime I believe. But do check the websites for the information required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozziepost said:

Never use anything else other than the official government websites. There are numerous threads on TA with complaints about 3rd party websites offering to do Visa applications for you for a fee.

Agreed, other sites basically do nothing you cannot do yourself but charge you for it.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, Aus Traveller said:

Apply for the Australian visa through the Aust government website. It is easy and the cost is very low. I don't know about the NZ visa.

At present, the Australian ETA reads that it needs to be applied for via the APP. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601#Overview

• Like 1

Thank you all for your information, especially Possum52.  Yes, HAL did refer us to another party to complete the forms, who informed us to complete the doc no more than 90 days out.  I am not a fan of doing thing on my phone, in some cases with paper I know I have it in hand.  I am sure there maybe stories of lost or dead phone.🤔

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WA Bubbles said:

Thank you all for your information, especially Possum52.  Yes, HAL did refer us to another party to complete the forms, who informed us to complete the doc no more than 90 days out.  I am not a fan of doing thing on my phone, in some cases with paper I know I have it in hand.  I am sure there maybe stories of lost or dead phone.🤔

The best way to apply is on line on the Government websites.  I get mine close to departure, as they only last a couple of years.  

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The best way to apply is on line on the Government websites.  I get mine close to departure, as they only last a couple of years.  

Marion, the Aus ETA  has to be done on an app as from February this year.

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm not up to Apps., but i haven't done any recently because i let my passport lapse during covid.  

It doesn't matter anyway. It is for the poor travellers heading this way. Last I looked, we could still get a US ESTA the usual way.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:07 PM, possum52 said:

Marion, the Aus ETA  has to be done on an app as from February this year.

I had to fill out a form on one of the new government apps to return to Australia after being in New Zealand a few months ago. That was okay but then as part of the process, it was expected that I take a printed, hard copy of the form to the airport with me! Not only did I not have a printer where I was staying but printing from an app??

I ended up just taking a screenshot and showing that instead.

• Like 1