Carry ons only, Pearl out of Boston

aloha_DC

Getting on the Pearl in Boston soon.  I'm likely going to only have a backpack and carry on size suitcase. Can I take that on board myself? Does that also mean I'd be better off boarding later when cabins might be open?

On the way back, I'm taking the bus tour from the boat that drops you off at the airport,  do we all just bring our luggage with us on the bus? (With shore excursion discount it was one of cheapest ways to get to the airport and I've got to fill the morning  anyway).

Thank you!

Last February out of Miami, we did carry on. We each had a 22" rolling and a backpack. The rooms were ready early so we were able to drop everything off in the room. (Guessing because the ship was less than 1/2 full.) 

For the tour bus, you need to bring your luggage with you to the bus.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ColdinME said:

Last February out of Miami, we did carry on. We each had a 22" rolling and a backpack. The rooms were ready early so we were able to drop everything off in the room. (Guessing because the ship was less than 1/2 full.) 

For the tour bus, you need to bring your luggage with you to the bus.

Yes, because you have to bring it through customs before it can leave the terminal.  There might be a drop off point, but you still have to get it at least that far.

Though I did a tour in San Juan (post cruise) that took us to the airport.  We brought our bags to a drop off point where they were put on a truck...  then when we got to the airport they were just laid out by the curb (great security!).

Edited by billslowsky
  • Thanks 1

Every cruise that my wife and I have done with NCL (14) we have used carry on.  At the terminal, you will have your luggage scanned as you enter the building.  Once on board, ask a staff member where you can store your luggage (they should give you a receipt) and you are free until your cabin is ready.  If your cabin is ready when you board, drop it off at your cabin.

When you disembark, you will be able to be one of the many that get "first shot" off the ship.  All customs has ever done is ask for the form you received and filled out the previous day (you will get it from your steward). That it!  Easy pezzy.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Oldgoat61 said:

Every cruise that my wife and I have done with NCL (14) we have used carry on.  At the terminal, you will have your luggage scanned as you enter the building.  Once on board, ask a staff member where you can store your luggage (they should give you a receipt) and you are free until your cabin is ready.  If your cabin is ready when you board, drop it off at your cabin.

When you disembark, you will be able to be one of the many that get "first shot" off the ship.  All customs has ever done is ask for the form you received and filled out the previous day (you will get it from your steward). That it!  Easy pezzy.

Haven't had to fill out a customs form since , probably, 2017. Is anyone still having to fill these out?

On 6/3/2022 at 6:56 AM, aloha_DC said:

Getting on the Pearl in Boston soon.  I'm likely going to only have a backpack and carry on size suitcase. Can I take that on board myself? Does that also mean I'd be better off boarding later when cabins might be open?

On the way back, I'm taking the bus tour from the boat that drops you off at the airport,  do we all just bring our luggage with us on the bus? (With shore excursion discount it was one of cheapest ways to get to the airport and I've got to fill the morning  anyway).

Thank you!

As long as the suitcase fits through a standard airport X-ray machine, you can roll it aboard. And you have to be able to control the case in crowded areas. Sounds like you meet the criteria. Too many people want to “do it themselves” and clog up the gangway and halls because they can’t easily control their cases over uneven gangways and whacking people with their bags. 

We, personally, like to get the cruise started as soon as possible. So we try to board as soon as possible. 

With disembarkation tours, you load your bags onto the bus and it rides around with you until you’re dropped at the airport. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Haven't had to fill out a customs form since , probably, 2017. Is anyone still having to fill these out?

Last cruise I needed to answer some questions at an online kiosk.  No human intervention and I was cleared to leave (for the transfer bus to the airport.)

Last land-based trip was similar.  Customs agents seemed to be pulling a few people aside for a spot check but we sailed through.

Just got off the Pearl yesterday and we went through Customs in Bar Harbor! When we got off the ship in Boston we headed right for the parking lot shuttle. 

I love to embark as early as we can! I would go whenever you’re allowed—we were assigned boarding windows but no one asked for verification. 

• Thanks 1