Passport help! 18 hear old birthday trip and grandfather’s funeral…

knitdiva

Yes I know I should have looked at expiration dates before booking.

My son just turned 18. His passport expires at the end of September. Haven’t travelled in 3 years, his father renewed his passport the last time so I lost track. Shared custody situation. Anyhow I booked a cruise to celebrate his 18th birthday on August 6 2022 for us and extended family. Realized today he needs a new passport for this cruise😩. So today went to Service Canada to bring all the necessary documents. The lady took his application and documents but told him he would not get it before the cruise, that he had to go to the passport office on July 28 for an emergency passport. Problem is on the 28th it’s his grandfather funeral 900 km away (and 700km away from any passport office). Any suggestion would be appreciated! You can also scream at me for my bad planning.

36 minutes ago, sidvan said:

Not sure if this will work, bu try reaching out to your local MP. They might be able to help under the circumstance.

Thank you for this suggestion. Just sent him an email. Will call tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Is expedited service no longer available?

Not until a 48 hours before travel date. And on that date he will be an 8 hour drive away from any passport office attending his grandfather’s funeral

2 minutes ago, knitdiva said:

Not until a 48 hours before travel date. And on that date he will be an 8 hour drive away from any passport office attending his grandfather’s funeral

Hmm.  My father and I had an appointment for passport renewal in November.  I got expedited service (travel in Less than 10 Business Days) and my father was offered the same service, even though he was not traveling.  Even though he did not get the expedited service, he received his by mail within two weeks.  Maybe you’ll receive it quickly also.

There are currently 3 levels of service available. Travel 46 business days or more, travel 3-45 business days before, and travel 2 business days before. You should have enough time for the 3-45 day service, which takes up to 2 weeks plus mailing time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport.html

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

There are currently 3 levels of service available. Travel 46 business days or more, travel 3-45 business days before, and travel 2 business days before. You should have enough time for the 3-45 day service, which takes up to 2 weeks plus mailing time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport.html

That 3-45 day service now takes 9 weeks + mail time. 

13 hours ago, knitdiva said:

Thank you for this suggestion. Just sent him an email. Will call tomorrow.

I've known a few people who have gotten help this route. 

Good luck.

Edited by 1kaper