Ketchikan (Ward Cove) Alaska

DonnaK

Is this different than cruises that just say "Ketchikan" without the Ward Cove?  On a map, Ward Cove looks quite far from Ketchikan.  Is there a shuttle to the main town area?  Or, should I avoid this itinerary and only look at those that say Ketchikan instead of the added Ward Cove destination?

We were on NCL Encore and docked at Ward Cove. They have a building with a touristy shop inside, lots of trinkets, candy, etc. They also had buses that would drop you off in town. Takes about 15-20 minutes. We were there for a very shot stop, until something like 1:15, and the signs all said the last shuttle back to the ship was 11:00, and the line was long at that time. We probably didn’t get a shuttle until about 11:30, so they don’t just stop at 11:00, I think that was so people wouldn’t wait until last second. Should you avoid it? That’s completely up to you. We had no excursion, we had plenty of time to walk around town, shop, see the sights. 

If you have a choice I would avoid Ward Cove and opt for an itinerary that docks in Ketchikan. The transit time back and forth really cuts into your port time. I love Ketchikan and prefer to maximize our time there. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, quack2 said:

Avoid Ward Cove.

I would go one step further.  If NCL persists in using Ward Cove which we know that they will, I would avoid NCL completely and tell them why.  The only way to punish cruise a cruise line that treats you badly is to stop cruising on them.

DON

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I would go one step further.  If NCL persists in using Ward Cove which we know that they will, I would avoid NCL completely and tell them why.  The only way to punish cruise a cruise line that treats you badly is to stop cruising on them.

DON

Ketchikan gets old after a few visits so NCL would be dandy if the prices start coming down due to lack of passengers. We’d be fine just grabbing a burger at Burger Queen as our excursion.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Ketchikan gets old after a few visits so NCL would be dandy if the prices start coming down due to lack of passengers. We’d be fine just grabbing a burger at Burger Queen as our excursion.

I would add a stop at Soho Coho on Creek Street in addition to Burger Queen.  I love Ray Troll art.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The best part of a port visit to Ketchikan, in my opinion, is the opportunity to take a flightseeing trip into Misty Fjords.  

I would add that doing the full day water trip is even better as it gets you out of Ketchikan for most of your port stop.  When you jam 10,000 to 15,000 visitors into a small town w a population of 8200, the only result is going to be a zoo.  There are only a limited number of things to see or to do in Ketchikan and as with most of the southeastern AK towns, you can't drive out of town.  My best trips to AK have been small ship cruises which hit small towns and extended driving trip on the mainland or to towns by Alaska Marine Highway ferries.

DON

• Like 2