Discovery Princess - HDMI connection

lotus land

2 hours ago, 1965 said:

When will you be on the Enchanted?

We have no plans for the Enchanted at the moment.  Our next cruise will be on the Majestic again.  The Majestic has a button on the bottom of the TV in the middle to get you to the input menu.  Someone has made a video for the Majestic.  That is how we found out for our January 2022 and April 2022 voyages.

You could always invest in the $8.95 remote and check it out for yourself and report back to us.  I did look at a couple of YouTube videos on the Enchanted and it looks like the TV might be the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1965 said:

I was hoping you'd be on our Nov. cruise. I'd love to meet you. 😊

I'm sure we'll cross paths someday.  😄

We were looking at a Nov cruise but the Enchanted doesn't return to the Caribbean from Europe until Dec. We decided to go on the Ruby in Nov. 

It's an older ship but actually a much cheaper cruise.

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

I'm sure we'll cross paths someday.  😄

We were looking at a Nov cruise but the Enchanted doesn't return to the Caribbean from Europe until Dec. We decided to go on the Ruby in Nov. 

It's an older ship but actually a much cheaper cruise.

It would be great to meet you as well.

We only have one cruise booked on the Majestic in September out of Vancouver.  this will be our 3rd time on the Majestic.  I have sailed the Ruby several times (2016 and 2018).  Nice ship.  TV was easy to connect unless they have changed them out.

57 minutes ago, Techwizardress said:

You could always invest in the $8.95 remote and check it out for yourself and report back to us.  I did look at a couple of YouTube videos on the Enchanted and it looks like the TV might be the same.

Except that on the Enchanted, the center toggle will not let you switch to HDMI, only USB. Whether or not a universal would allow it is still undetermined.  

I really like to use my Roku which only has HDMI since it's remote has an earphone jack to listen to my movies early mornings without disturbing the husband.

2 minutes ago, Techwizardress said:

It would be great to meet you as well.

We only have one cruise booked on the Majestic in September out of Vancouver.  this will be our 3rd time on the Majestic.  I have sailed the Ruby several times (2016 and 2018).  Nice ship.  TV was easy to connect unless they have changed them out.

We pretty much stick with the Caribbean as it's easy to get to Ft Lauderdale. We've seen all the ports so many times that the ship is really our destination. Very rarely do we get off the ship unless it's to stretch our legs. 

Last cruise on the Ruby was 14 years ago. I'm sure many things have changed, especially the dress code but lets not get into that. 😆

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We pretty much stick with the Caribbean as it's easy to get to Ft Lauderdale. We've seen all the ports so many times that the ship is really our destination. Very rarely do we get off the ship unless it's to stretch our legs. 

Last cruise on the Ruby was 14 years ago. I'm sure many things have changed, especially the dress code but lets not get into that. 😆

We are similar.  We live in Southern California and the Port of Los Angeles is about a 24 mile drive.  So we have done many Mexico cruises.  We did not even get off the Discovery this past four day cruise.  

38 minutes ago, Techwizardress said:

We are similar.  We live in Southern California and the Port of Los Angeles is about a 24 mile drive.  So we have done many Mexico cruises.  We did not even get off the Discovery this past four day cruise.  

That's really close. I wouldn't hesitate to do short cruises at all.

We have about a 2 hour drive to get to Ft Lauderdale so we always do B2B 10 day trips and it's as much as our waistlines will take before we have to return home for a diet. 

We did a round trip through the canal a few years ago to Los Angeles (30 days) and gained so much weight I almost had to buy extra clothing to make it home. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 7:42 AM, Techwizardress said:

We have no plans for the Enchanted at the moment.  Our next cruise will be on the Majestic again.  The Majestic has a button on the bottom of the TV in the middle to get you to the input menu.  Someone has made a video for the Majestic.  That is how we found out for our January 2022 and April 2022 voyages.

I don't know how to get the Amazon link from your video.  Could you kindly give me the link in your reply to this post?  Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Several in this string posted that they were able to stream using ROKU. I have what is likely a dumb question: After you get the ROKU installed and TV input switched to the appropriate HDMI selection, how do you connect the ROKU to the onboard Internet?

2 minutes ago, LaRu60 said:

Several in this string posted that they were able to stream using ROKU. I have what is likely a dumb question: After you get the ROKU installed and TV input switched to the appropriate HDMI selection, how do you connect the ROKU to the onboard Internet?

You would bring your Roku streaming device with you and connect it to the TV and then the ship's internet.  We were on the Discovery and the internet was terrible in November 2022, February 2023 and April 2023.  I have heard that they are installed the new Starlink so that may make a difference.

19 minutes ago, LaRu60 said:

IIRC, you use the same method for connecting a Roku in a hotel. I usually don't use the Roku to stream because, as @Techwizardress said, internet hasn't been good on Princess in a long while. I bring a Roku Ultra in order to play TV shows and movies from a thumb drive. The Roku Ultra is the only model with that feature. 

Kevin

3 minutes ago, kml246 said:

IIRC, you use the same method for connecting a Roku in a hotel. I usually don't use the Roku to stream because, as @Techwizardress said, internet hasn't been good on Princess in a long while. I bring a Roku Ultra in order to play TV shows and movies from a thumb drive. The Roku Ultra is the only model with that feature. 

Kevin

When you used the Roku to stream, did you connect your Roku directly to the ship’s WiFi network? If so, what SSID name did you select and what password did you use?

1 hour ago, LaRu60 said:

When you used the Roku to stream, did you connect your Roku directly to the ship’s WiFi network? If so, what SSID name did you select and what password did you use?

We have never brought our Roku. We bring our laptop and iPad to connect. You could connect it, just the internet was never strong enough for us.  We download shows and movies to our laptops and iPad. 

We also have been entertained by the old Love Boat episodes lol

2 hours ago, Techwizardress said:

You would bring your Roku streaming device with you and connect it to the TV and then the ship's internet.  We were on the Discovery and the internet was terrible in November 2022, February 2023 and April 2023.  I have heard that they are installed the new Starlink so that may make a difference.

Could not agree more.  Discovery Internet is almost useless.  We've been on the Discovery five times and it has not improved.  Undoubtedly due to over four thousand (4,000) devices on 24/7.  However, for us, it is the only game in town!  Just paid $600 ($300 net) for Dec 4th 15 day Hawaiian cruise Internet.  Hope you are correct about, possibly, getting some relief with Starlink.  Often times SpeedTest.org comes in at 150Kbs, or less.  I could get better performance from a carrier pigeon.

Happy cruising.....

PS    Will check again on October 14th, Mexican cruise.

4 hours ago, LaRu60 said:

I rarely stream with it, at least post-COVID. I usually use a travel router and connect the Roku to that.

12 hours ago, kml246 said:

Kevin

Like your self, I've never streamed with my Roku, only fed it with programs & movies via a HD and thumb drive. 

On our last Enchanted cruise we couldn't even switch to the HDMI input any longer and only connected to the TV's USB's input to watch our movies on the HD. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Like your self, I've never streamed with my Roku, only fed it with programs & movies via a HD and thumb drive. 

On our last Enchanted cruise we couldn't even switch to the HDMI input any longer and only connected to the TV's USB's input to watch our movies on the HD. 

We were on Enchanted last July in a Mini-Suite. I was able to switch inputs on the TV by the couch (never tried the one by the bed), though I don't remember if it was with the toggle underneath or the LG or universal remotes I bring with me.

We're on Sky in July and Regal in August. I know Regal works just fine, first time on Sky.

Kevin

Edited by kml246
Correct ship dates

1 hour ago, kml246 said:

We were on Enchanted last July in a Mini-Suite. I was able to switch inputs on the TV by the couch (never tried the one by the bed), though I don't remember if it was with the toggle underneath or the LG or universal remotes I bring with me.

We're on Sky in July and Regal in August. I know Regal works just fine, first time on Sky.

Kevin

On the Enchanted we use the toggle to switch.

We only had the one TV by the bed. Last Dec I could switch to HDMI but this past Feb/March could not, only to USB. 

Lat cruise on the Regal it worked fine. 

Let us know about the Sky. 

8 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

On the Enchanted we use the toggle to switch.

We only had the one TV by the bed. Last Dec I could switch to HDMI but this past Feb/March could not, only to USB. 

Lat cruise on the Regal it worked fine. 

Let us know about the Sky. 

Must have been a software change to disable the HDMI. I'll let you know what I find.

Kevin

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We will be on the Discovery October 14th and December 4th.  Has there been any updated reports regarding HDMI access since May?  The last we heard, the Amazon remote was a workable solution,

but that was some time ago.  Hoping someone has a more recent success story:)

On 4/27/2023 at 3:18 PM, Techwizardress said:

Yes, we were on the Majestic Princess twice last year and used that little toggle button on the bottom.  It did not work on the Discovery.  The little $8.95 remote was a gem.  We watched lots of our own content that we brought on our laptop.  We have watched all of the Love Boat episodes and wanted something different  LOL.  Very spoiled we are...

Can you give more information on the remote? I said you bought it on Amazon