Discovery Princess - HDMI connection

lotus land

You have to remember . You can't record from an HDMI port. HDMI is an input only . All ports on the TV are inputs except for the Ethernet port. When I was on the Royal , all signals came into the TV thru an internet connection.

Your Ipad can only input thru an HDMI port . The other thing is the remote supplied doesn't have the option to select inputs.

1 hour ago, Kamloops50 said:

You have to remember . You can't record from an HDMI port. HDMI is an input only . All ports on the TV are inputs except for the Ethernet port. When I was on the Royal , all signals came into the TV thru an internet connection.

Your Ipad can only input thru an HDMI port . The other thing is the remote supplied doesn't have the option to select inputs.

Thank you. You are correct, you cannot record from the HDMI port. The OP wants to watch content plugged into an open HDMI port. On other Princess ships, you can change inputs by tuning to a live tv show and using the button/toggle on the bottom edge of the screen to change inputs. I use my Roku on Princess ships. In the past, when Princess internet was the best at sea, you could stream on the Roku. Now, it's only good as a media player to view videos on a thumb drive. 

@chubbypiggy, I've done some research and this is what I found without knowing the model number. Is there a single button on the bottom where the toggle used to be? It's possible it's not in the middle. It looks like a power button, and it is, but it also serves as a "toggle". Here's an explanation:

image.thumb.png.6c3e76822c9c1ee42b4eb025c9ba387d.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kml246 said:

@chubbypiggy, I've done some research and this is what I found without knowing the model number. Is there a single button on the bottom where the toggle used to be? It's possible it's not in the middle. It looks like a power button, and it is, but it also serves as a "toggle". Here's an explanation:

The TV that Princess uses does have that button. The TV S they normally use are either European or Japanese models.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kml246 said:

The button is in the middle. I pressed once, TV turns on, pressed again, TV turns off. No press and hold. 

35 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

The button is in the middle. I pressed once, TV turns on, pressed again, TV turns off. No press and hold. 

Sorry, without the model number, that's the best I can find. 

53 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Sorry, without the model number, that's the best I can find. 

Sometimes the TV's in the laundry use the same model and they're mounted on a stand where you can see the back and get the model. 

• Like 1

We were on both Majestic and Discovery this year. On Majestic we were able to access HDMI port, tight fit but doable with small hands or tongs. We were able to change inputs with middle bottom switch. On Discovery the port is also accessible, but there was no middle bottom switch to change input. Next time I will bring a universal remote to see if I can change input.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wendellman said:

Next time I will bring a universal remote to see if I can change input.

Please let us know how it works out on the Discovery next sailing. 

So far all the other ships we're going on don't need one.

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Sometimes the TV's in the laundry use the same model and they're mounted on a stand where you can see the back and get the model. 

Just went to the laundry room on Discovery. Mounted on the wall. Couldn’t get to the back and check the model. 892EECD9-FC69-4F5A-8778-581897924D44.thumb.jpeg.2a64fe8509edb0b416ea0399385acb3b.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 11:51 AM, Ladybuggers said:

I am brining a LG universal remote, if not I will try the trick of going to the bridge cam and try to change the input that way.

Are you on the Discovery now?  If so, have you tried using your LG universal remote and successfully got the HDMI connection.

I got off from the Discovery last Saturday, and as I mentioned in my previous posts, during my 16 days on the Discovery, I tried everything I can think of, and still was not able to connect to HDMI. 

Now,  I am thinking to buy the LG universal remote like others suggested, so I will be able to connect to HDMI for my next Discovery cruise in April.  Before going to Amazon and try to find/buy that remote, it will be nice to know if having the remote will solve the connection problem.

Thank you for any comments.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:26 AM, Ladybuggers said:

I asked the question on Facebook as well and my answers were the ports are "disabled" I am not sure what they mean, (Can't get behind the tv, can't sort out of to change input) but I am going to give it a ago. 

I have had success in the past hooking the TV up to my laptop on the Majestic but recently sailed on the Discovery and could not get the input button on the center of the TV to toggle to show inputs. Hooking up to the back of the TV was no problem (I have small hands:), but I'm wondering if they may have disabled the function on the TV? I tried everything I know!  I'll be doing a 10 day on her again in a month or so and am wondering if anyone onboard the Discovery can give it a whirl and report back.  For what it's worth, I was in a forward facing mini and tried on both TV's. Thanks in advance! 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

The last post being 103 days old does not bode well for our cause.

We were on the Discovery, March 11th for 7 day Coastal Cruise.  Able to access HDMI connection, but unable to change input/source.  The bottom, center, button appears to be off/on ONLY!

No success in retrieving model number of either TV in mini-suite.

Has anyone had any luck in using a third-party, or genuine LG, remote to select input/source?  If so, what make/model remote was utilized, and where can it be purchased?  I fear we are locked out, but we had a good run.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or contributions.

16 minutes ago, sofee said:

The last post being 103 days old does not bode well for our cause.

We were on the Discovery, March 11th for 7 day Coastal Cruise.  Able to access HDMI connection, but unable to change input/source.  The bottom, center, button appears to be off/on ONLY!

No success in retrieving model number of either TV in mini-suite.

Has anyone had any luck in using a third-party, or genuine LG, remote to select input/source?  If so, what make/model remote was utilized, and where can it be purchased?  I fear we are locked out, but we had a good run.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or contributions.

We won a few battles, but Princess won the war.

10 hours ago, billco said:

We won a few battles, but Princess won the war.

It does appear that way, on some of the ships, but it makes me wonder why there so determined to lock people out of that feature?

Could it be that they're not out of the cabin spending money?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It does appear that way, on some of the ships, but it makes me wonder why there so determined to lock people out of that feature?

Could it be that they're not out of the cabin spending money?

I think they don't want people messing with the tv. 

2 hours ago, billco said:

I think they don't want people messing with the tv. 

If you switch inputs, I’m guessing the TV stays on the newly selected input.  So the next people in the cabin may end up with a non-working TV, which prompts a call to get it fixed, and an unhappy passenger, or adds one more item the room steward has to check/fix before the cabin is ready for the next passenger.

33 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

If you switch inputs, I’m guessing the TV stays on the newly selected input.  So the next people in the cabin may end up with a non-working TV, which prompts a call to get it fixed, and an unhappy passenger, or adds one more item the room steward has to check/fix before the cabin is ready for the next passenger.

Not really. When you switch the TV off and back on again it reverts back to the standard input.

I honestly can't see any reason not to let people utilize a TV that they've paid to use during the cruise..... like review you video's and pictures on your phone on a decent size screen. 

• Like 1