Sailing Back Into Russian Waters

brittany12

SB as well as SS seems to believe that the Russian-Ukrainian war will be over by next year and Russia will be welcomed back into the family of civilized nations. St. Petersburg is either back on or bender left their 2023 sailing schedules. All forgiven. Not true for Oceania and others. Personally,  I won't forget and would not go there under any circumstances, even if the US allowed, considering what its criminal government has done not just to its next door neighbor, the harm it has inflicted on the rest of the world, and the irreparable damage it has done to international law. Cruise travel to welcoming and safe nations will never be the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I totally understand what you are saying and agree.  We are fortunate to have traveled to Russia (both St. Petersburg and far East Russia-the Kamchatka Peninsula).  My best guess is that this war is NOT going to be over any time soon--and certainly not next year.  At any rate, we will not be traveling to Russia again as long as Putin is in control.  We  have no squabble with the Russia people, but will not do anything to support Putin--ever.  

SB is promoting  cruises that stop at the Kamchatka peninsula.  It has happened at the captain's reception each of the past two weeks.  It is embarrassing and it  completely ignores the current reality  

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, marazul said:

SB is promoting  cruises that stop at the Kamchatka peninsula.  It has happened at the captain's reception each of the past two weeks.  It is embarrassing and completely ignores the current reality  

That is in poor form and I agree not something they should be doing. I won't forgive Russia or forget that easily.

• Like 3

I found it interesting that on a thread started yesterday on the Silversea board that some have received emails indicating a change to Northern Europe itineraries for 2023 due to the ongoing conflict Russia started.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2859391-2023-northern-europe-upcoming-itinerary-changes/#comment-63393066

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

I have been before but will never go again.

That part of the World is now avoidable.

I think you were there on the same ship Julie.

Yes and we had a great time. Looking forward to sailing with you again just not in Russian waters.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I have been before but will never go again.

That part of the World is now avoidable.

My visits to Russia have been to St. Petersburg and Petropavlosk.  My interactions with the citizens in these two sections of the country were quite different.  Warm welcome with positive interactions in Petropavlosk.  Not so in St. Petersburg with too many Russians whom I encountered.  

The Smithsonian Channel broadcast a program on their Air Disasters series this evening about the flight of MH 17.  Their is NO doubt that that plane was destroyed by a Russian missile fired from the Donbas region.  The Russians got away with this event.  The leadership continues to defy international norms with what we are witnessing in the Ukraine.  Will they get away from responsibility again? 

There will be no further visits by me to Russia.  

• Like 1