Antarctic Expedition Question about Flights

Australia08

To anyone who is planning for one of the Antarctic expedition trips December 2022 through February 2023:  What is your understanding about approximate times that the charter from Ushuaia will arrive in Buenos Aires (at the end of the trip)?  I am unsure how early I could schedule a flight back to the US or if I decide to stay a few extra days in Buenos Aires, how much time I might have in Buenos Aires to do something that evening.  My guest statement from Viking does not provide guidance on this.

Since you don't have info from Viking, I will hazard a guess.  

Look at the departure times from Buenos Aires back to the US.  I *think* they usually leave mid to late afternoon, but you should check.  My guess is the charter flight will arrive 2-3 hours before the departure time for flights back to the US.  That will give you enough time to check your bags, go through security, etc.  without giving you too much idle time just sitting around.  Again, just a guess.

I assume from what you are saying, you are not booking your air through Viking?  If you were, Viking would ensure that the flights home to the USA would jive with the charter.

We are on another cruise line in December for Antarctica and we are faced with the same issue because we are / have booked air privately.  We could not get confirmation on the time the charter arrives in BA, so we decided to stay a few days after as we have never been to Buenos Aires.

Our fear is that we are coming directly through the Drake Straight back to Ushuaia and so we fear if the seas are high and there is any delay, then the timing of a charter could be off, therefore putting flights from Buenos Aries off too.

If you are inclined to stay at least an extra day or two, this would be the most sensible thing to do.

Three years ago we did a Hurtigruten Antarctic cruise.  We flew in and out of Ushuaia.   The flights used the domestic airport near the city center, Jorge Newbery, which was a considerable distance from the international airport.  We decided to spend two nights in Buenos Aires which were a lot of fun.  We ate good food, took in a tango show, and saw the sights.  

Don't forget that there are two airports in BsAs.  Ezeiza International Airport (EZE) is the international airport from which all the flights to  US and Europe depart.  Jorge Newbery Airfield (AEP) is the domestic airport.  You may need to clarify with VIking the airport they use for the flights to/from the ship.