Covid test required before Panama Canal transit?

12cruise2

What has been anyone's experience going through the Panama Canal in the past 6 months?  Have they required testing on the ship a couple of days before transit?  It was not required 10/21. We want to take the fall Panama Canal transit but are concerned if we test positive about being put off the ship rather than being allowed to isolate on board (because as I recall, Panama is concerned with the number of positive passengers on board).  I notice on Princess' Q&A, it is specifically stated passengers will be tested before a Panama Canal transit so I'm curious about Holland America.  No specific policy is stated on the Holland Q&A that I found re the Panama Canal.

Edited by 12cruise2

Zuiderdam February, testing on ship prior to canal transit.  I wouldn’t use past experience to predict future travel restrictions.  Who knows if there will be another variant?

• Like 3

HAL has not put people off the ship if the test positive DURING a cruise...there haven't been any reports of that I have seen. They have quarantined people for 10 days...I believe the standard is 5 days now...depending on additional positive tests.

The only time they put people off DURING a cruise is if they require a higher level of care. They do put you off at the normally scheduled end of your cruise, and you may need to quarantine at that point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

HAL has not put people off the ship if the test positive DURING a cruise...there haven't been any reports of that I have seen. They have quarantined people for 10 days...I believe the standard is 5 days now...depending on additional positive tests.

The only time they put people off DURING a cruise is if they require a higher level of care. They do put you off at the normally scheduled end of your cruise, and you may need to quarantine at that point.

Thanks for this info; I guess I'm wondering if they will be "extra sensitive" so to speak to numbers on board in isolation at the Panama Canal.   I said earlier they didn't test us last Oct., but honestly, I don't remember.  We cruised several cruises last fall and were tested a lot on board.