What happens if travel companion misses embarkation

On 6/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, smokeybandit said:

Airline chaos is chaotic, but still not nearly as bad as the media is portraying it

Yeah I fly a lot and in my experience 2020 and 2021 were WAY worse operationally. Almost every single flight I took last year was delayed or canceled in some way but actually haven't encountered any trouble this year

16 hours ago, tallgirl97 said:

if someone misses embarkation, can they join the cruise at the next port of call?

Very unlikely- may depend on circumstances, but routine downline embarkations have been discontinued by RCI.

On 6/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, smokeybandit said:

Airline chaos is chaotic, but still not nearly as bad as the media is portraying it

My DD had a flight from Paris to Orlando with one stop in Montreal. The Montreal to Orlando flight was canceled shortly after they departed Paris. 4 hour line to talk to Air Canada rep. 2 meal vouchers, no hotel offers, and offered to get her to Orlando 3 days later, or to Miami the next day. Thankfully her BF was able to get her from Miami. Turns out the flight they were going to put her on 3 days later was also canceled (they sent her an e-mail for some reason). One of the main problems is that if you are one of the ones affected, there is no room on other flights. Amsterdam has 4-5 hour lines for security. I'm hoping it clears up after the bulk of summer vacation traffic slows. Yeah, it is pretty chaotic in some places.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:03 PM, firefly333 said:

Saw some solo deals during covid .. no more.

Celebrity has quite a few no solo supplement sailing right now. Pulled a John and LaLa and booked connecting C3's for the wife and I. With the TA and OBC offers it ends up better than 2 in the same cabin.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Celebrity has quite a few no solo supplement sailing right now. Pulled a John and LaLa and booked connecting C3's for the wife and I. With the TA and OBC offers it ends up better than 2 in the same cabin.

I'm aware of celebrity. I thought about it but celebrity doesnt go out of texas. It costs as much to fly as I'd save I decided and the added stress level. And then you get the option of adding on the perks and right back up there in price even for the lower cost deals i clicked thru. Lol. 

I'll wait for rcl to offer deals..

27 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

My DD had a flight from Paris to Orlando with one stop in Montreal. The Montreal to Orlando flight was canceled shortly after they departed Paris. 4 hour line to talk to Air Canada rep. 2 meal vouchers, no hotel offers, and offered to get her to Orlando 3 days later, or to Miami the next day. Thankfully her BF was able to get her from Miami. Turns out the flight they were going to put her on 3 days later was also canceled (they sent her an e-mail for some reason). One of the main problems is that if you are one of the ones affected, there is no room on other flights. Amsterdam has 4-5 hour lines for security. I'm hoping it clears up after the bulk of summer vacation traffic slows. Yeah, it is pretty chaotic in some places.

I read that the airlines now have no responsibility for offering something if your flight is delayed or cancelled.  I seem to remember they were required to give you something. When did this change.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I read that the airlines now have no responsibility for offering something if your flight is delayed or cancelled.  I seem to remember they were required to give you something. When did this change.

In Europe they do but in the US they only have to compensate you if you’re involuntarily bumped. That’s why they try so hard to get volunteers 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

EU and Canada require compensation if the delay is due to something under the control of the airline. So now the default reason for the delay is "unforseen" or "unscheduled" or whatever maintenance or "blah blah safety reason". We will be filing for the 6-7 hundred or so they should be paying. Nothing to lose by filing. It's pretty obvious the airlines have oversold flight capacity based on staffing levels just from the pilot demonstrations.

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If they conform to Rule 1 (most discount airlines - SWA, Frontier, etc. do not) then as long as the delay/cancelation is the airlines fault (not weather or FAA mandated) then the airline has to help you - book a flight on another airline, get you a hotel, meals, etc.  The problem is, some airlines stretch the meaning of "weather".  For example, you are flying out of Philly on a flight that originates in Detroit.  If the flight cannot land in Philly due to weather, or it lands and can't leave due to weather, then you are compensated, and that seems fairly obvious.  But what if the flight can't leave Detroit because of weather there, but there is no problem in Philly?  Technically, that falls under Rule 1 coverage, but most airlines will deny it.  You have to push them on it.  I've done it before, but these days, they are so shirt-staffed with so many angry passengers with problems, by the time you get someone to help, it's probably too late to even get on another flight.  

4 minutes ago, fred30 said:

What would happen if the friend tested positive for covid?  Would the OP still be allowed to cruise and if so would she be charged sole rates? 

Yes, there’s no change in rates for a no show. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2022 at 5:49 PM, GTO-Girl said:

The many, many cancellations and delays are one of the lead stories on the Atlanta news every single night.  People are being stranded in the airport most times overnight, so I would say as far as our area…..it’s pretty chaotic!

We have relatives that just got home after spending two days at the airport in New Orleans trying to get home!!

My last 3 flights had either delays or cancellations to the point where I’ve decided to arrive TWO days prior to my next cruise.  It’s totally chaotic.