What happens if travel companion misses embarkation

I will be traveling later this summer to go on the Allure of the Seas. I am driving to the port as I am local, but my friend is flying from the Northeast to board the ship. We are sharing a cabin. She is flying the day of the cruise. I know. A major mistake... But she can't fly in the day before. So what happens if her flight is delayed or cancelled and she misses the ship? Specifically,  will I be charged a single supplement on top of my already paid fare if I go on the cruise?

5 minutes ago, erber said:

I will be traveling later this summer to go on the Allure of the Seas. I am driving to the port as I am local, but my friend is flying from the Northeast to board the ship. We are sharing a cabin. She is flying the day of the cruise. I know. A major mistake... But she can't fly in the day before. So what happens if her flight is delayed or cancelled and she misses the ship? Specifically,  will I be charged a single supplement on top of my already paid fare if I go on the cruise?

no problem. No extra charge

That's a relief. I am so worried she will not make it given the airline chaos. If she does miss her flight and I hear from her definitively before I board that she won't make the cruise, do I need to tell them when I check in? I assume she will get her port fees and taxes back but lose her cruise fare. 

3 minutes ago, erber said:

That's a relief. I am so worried she will not make it given the airline chaos. If she does miss her flight and I hear from her definitively before I board that she won't make the cruise, do I need to tell them when I check in? I assume she will get her port fees and taxes back but lose her cruise fare. 

Tell them nothing. If they ask say she will be later or whatever. Do not cancel her. I read someone foolish who cancelled the other person and then was surprised she was refared. Have he be a no show. 

Fees and taxes are automatically refunded after the cruise. Have her be a no show. I had a booking agent who told me say nothing. 

Her cruisefare is gone. If she got a refund then of course you have to pay solo supplement. She cant cancel without you paying extra. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, erber said:

You don't need to tell them and yes, she gets her port fees/taxes back (to the credit card that was used to pay) but loses the cruise fare.  Hopefully she bought travel insurance to cover the losses.

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Her cruisefare is gone. If she got a refund then of course you have to pay solo supplement. She cant cancel without you paying extra. 

Is the solo supplement typically more or less than the additional fare?

19 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Is the solo supplement typically more or less than the additional fare?

Typically its 200% so double except there can be gtys that solos cant book when the lowest rate isnt available . The issue is being refared at current prices which might be a lot more than what the OP paid.

Saw some solo deals during covid .. no more. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, erber said:

Tell them she won’t be making the ship when you check in for muster otherwise they will be calling you. They called our room asking about my husband when he wasn’t able to make it. Another time I was chased 😃 down after I went thru the last check point asking where my husband was. Just told them he wasn’t coming.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Airline chaos is chaotic, but still not nearly as bad as the media is portraying it

The many, many cancellations and delays are one of the lead stories on the Atlanta news every single night.  People are being stranded in the airport most times overnight, so I would say as far as our area…..it’s pretty chaotic!

We have relatives that just got home after spending two days at the airport in New Orleans trying to get home!!

3 minutes ago, erber said:

Just want to confirm you were not charged a single supplement charge after you told them the other passenger didn't make it due to an airline issue. 

Not sure if you are asking me but no I haven’t been charged. I always book for 2 in case hubby can make it. We don’t know his schedule until about the 17th of the month for the next month. If he can make it I want to make sure he is booked. If he isn’t booked and ends up being able to make it we would have to pay at the current rate which is usually higher. Our next cruise he will be flying home the day of. Sleep a couple of hours and we will then head to the port (5 miles). He flies for the airline and the flights he does don’t normally have such problems. Sometimes he tries to arrange his monthly schedule to have a block of days off so he doesn’t have to use vacation time. Vacation time is saved for longer trips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, erber said:

Hopefully this is all worry for nothing. But I appreciate the advice if the worst does happen and she misses boarding!

I have done this 7 times since this September and never charged anything extra. They probably see it as being paid for someone who doesn’t come and eat the food, use their free 5 drinks, etc. It’s a win win for Royal.

• Like 1

One final question… what happens with daily gratuities if only one ends up in the cabin? If it is just me and my friend is a no show will I be charged two sets of daily gratuities? 

1 minute ago, erber said:

One final question… what happens with daily gratuities if only one ends up in the cabin? If it is just me and my friend is a no show will I be charged two sets of daily gratuities? 

You will only pay for one 

Just curious... if someone misses embarkation, can they join the cruise at the next port of call?

(Heading out in a couple of weeks with a party of 18 - we are all flying in no later than the day prior, but it would be good to know just in case...)

On 6/27/2022 at 2:24 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Tell them she won’t be making the ship when you check in for muster otherwise they will be calling you. They called our room asking about my husband when he wasn’t able to make it. Another time I was chased 😃 down after I went thru the last check point asking where my husband was. Just told them he wasn’t coming.

That's weird, they should know who is / isn't onboard at all times.  No shows are not unusual, probably happens on every sailing especially on the mega ships.

What would they have done if both of you didn't embark?  Call you at your work or home asking when you'll come to the muster?    😆   😆   😆 

Edited by mpk
  • Haha 1