Trip Report w/Pics HAL Alaska June 19-26, 2022 Seattle Roundtrip Westerdam

CupKayke

1 hour ago, JesseLivermore said:

Still debating whether my parents should go. I had booked a balcony Observation deck room for the 4 of us, not sure if I should book a smaller room for them on another deck Large Oceanview Stateroom (Fully obstructed views)

I would NOT put four adults in a quad. Who is going to climb into the pull-down bed and who will sleep on the pullout? I hope it wouldn't be your parents. Also, four adults sharing the bathroom can present problems when all are trying to get ready for an event. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I would NOT put four adults in a quad. Who is going to climb into the pull-down bed and who will sleep on the pullout? I hope it wouldn't be your parents. Also, four adults sharing the bathroom can present problems when all are trying to get ready for an event. Just my opinion.

Thanks again for the quick reply!  it's actually 2 kids (6,15) already  booked on Deck 10 Balcony.    

I haven't booked my parents yet. I wonder if i should get them a balcony or a K  interior so they can be on the same deck and we can spread out 3/ea? 

Maybe I should see if we can still switch categories and be in balconies on other decks? 

Edited by JesseLivermore

On 7/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, CupKayke said:

Here's the pic from 2011

WestCoastVacation2011113.jpg

How crazy!!  I also was in Seattle in 2011.  We took an Alaska cruise for our honeymoon! We went the First week of May.  So wild that we are going back this year too, like you did! 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:13 AM, CupKayke said:

The upgrade is definitely not based on veteran cruisers as we have only sailed with HAL one time previously. 

I talked to another couple upgraded after just  1 cruise. They did book direct thru HAL, also did C19 tests/transfers  etc thru them  . I wonder if revenue's  a factor..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 11:15 PM, CupKayke said:

Juneau, continued...

IMG_1127.JPEG

Our balcony was definitely on the correct side of the ship for coming into Juneau… waterfalls… gorgeous waterfalls… you could hear them and see them and it was beautiful.

We had signed up for the Mendenhall Glacier Trail Walk and Whale Watching Tour (or something like that).   It was a small group tour of only 20 people and we were guaranteed to see whales or we get $100 cash from the tour operator.  We walked off the boat and met Phil, our guide.  He was excellent.  We took a small van to the water first (they reversed the tour in hopes the clouds would lift so we could see the glacier later).   On the way to the boat, we saw 2 or 3 bald eagles sitting in the marsh… then 4 or 5… then we saw at least 10 sitting together on a large stump!!  Amazing.  We had only been off the ship 15 minutes and we had just seen at least 15 bald eagles.  Alaska was delivering quick.  We were on a small boat that could really travel (I think 30-40 knots) and maneuvered the bay well.  

IMG_1167.JPEG

We saw whales immediately.  We saw one… then two together… then another… then another… the boat moved around an island and other places.  We heard the whale operators talking and we heard them all saying “It’s a whale party out here!”  They finally called our operator and he said he had heard the talk but we had to go in and didn’t have time to come see.  Our water portion of the tour was almost over at this point anyway and we had seen and heard the whales.  It was worth it already.

IMG_E1306.JPG

IMG_1268.JPEG

IMG_1213.JPEG

Sorry if I missed it, but were you port or starboard? Thanks. Great report and I appreciate that you did this. 

Edited by spleenstomper

On 8/31/2022 at 2:42 PM, spleenstomper said:

Sorry if I missed it, but were you port or starboard? Thanks. Great report and I appreciate that you did this. 

Starboard side.  I firmly believe it was by far the best side for stopping in the ports and of course we cruised up the coast at a slower pace and stopped more places than when we flew home. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CupKayke said:

Starboard side.  I firmly believe it was by far the best side for stopping in the ports and of course we cruised up the coast at a slower pace and stopped more places than when we flew home. 

Great, thanks. I just booked the other day and fly out in Friday and I chose starboard. I really enjoyed reading your post. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know this review is older, but I just finished reading it. Excellent review! Loved your pics and commentary! Very helpful to me since dh and I would like to book a cruise to Alaska. We’ve never cruised on HAL but have been told it’s highly recommended for Alaska.  

I LOVED your idea about the competition with the walking track. We think alike! 

I’ve only ever cruised on Carnival, so I’ve been nervous about trying a new cruise line. However, thanks to your review, I feel better about scheduling a HAL Alaskan cruise. 

Not sure if it’s because we both happen to be from Missouri, but after reading your review, I felt like we could easily be friends. 😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, momof4girls said:

I know this review is older, but I just finished reading it. Excellent review! Loved your pics and commentary! Very helpful to me since dh and I would like to book a cruise to Alaska. We’ve never cruised on HAL but have been told it’s highly recommended for Alaska.  

I’ve only ever cruised on Carnival, so I’ve been nervous about trying a new cruise line. However, thanks to your review, I feel better about scheduling a HAL Alaskan cruise. 

Not sure if it’s because we both happen to be from Missouri, but after reading your review, I felt like we could easily be friends. 😊

I had a great time on my Westerdam Alaska cruise.one of my top 2 cruises I would say. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 1:51 PM, momof4girls said:

Thank you for your kind comments.  Frankly, ALL the lines are more alike than different.  We've cruised on Royal Caribbean, HAL, Carnival (we are Carnival Gold Members), and now we are trying Costa in a couple of months.   You will LOVE HAL in Alaska.  

And I knew we were friends the minute I saw your St Louis Cardinals pic!  I'm a HUGE baseball fan and rarely miss watching a game (on TV).   😍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CupKayke said:

Thank you for your kind comments.  Frankly, ALL the lines are more alike than different.  We've cruised on Royal Caribbean, HAL, Carnival (we are Carnival Gold Members), and now we are trying Costa in a couple of months.   You will LOVE HAL in Alaska.  

And I knew we were friends the minute I saw your St Louis Cardinals pic!  I'm a HUGE baseball fan and rarely miss watching a game (on TV).   😍

I’m a HUGE baseball fan too! We try to get to STL for at least one game a season (missing 2020 and 2021 though). It’s on our tv nightly from start of season to end…☺️🫣

Before I go searching, have you written other trip reports? I’d love,to read about your Costa cruise after you return! 

• Like 1

Yes, I’ve written a lot of other reviews - some of them may be highlighted in my signature?

I can’t wait to see what happens on Costa!  I mean, I’m sure it will be all good but the South America board is not very active nor are some of the posters friendly or accurate.  

All HAL ship's Lidos have food in stations that you walk up to and in some sections, you tell the staff what you want, and they serve it on a clean plate for you or in other sections the food is individually portioned on small plates that you pick up and take to your table.  A few places you serve yourself.

Drinks will be served by waiters at the tables.  Included drinks are ship water, lemonade, iced tea, coffee and tea.  They will serve alcoholic beverages for charge. 

~Nancy