Online Check In and US Visa question?

RCmommy

I am hoping someone can clarify..

While completing online check-in for our upcoming cruise in 11 days.  After entering my partner's valid Canadian passport info. I was then asked what type of US Visa he would be submitting.  huh? what? I have never seen this before.  We sail from Charleston and have to ports of call in Bahamas.  I was not asked because I am assuming I am a US citizen who has permanent resident status in Canada, with a US passport.

Now the strange (to me anyway) thing is, I click "skip this for now" and in my cruise manager it does say our online check in is complete.  When I click to review the information and go through each section to save and continue, it is all completed and green check marks everywhere.  It is only if I click the little edit button on my partner's travel doscuments, after the passport section, the next section is for "What type of US Visa is being submitted for XXxxx XxXxx?"

Is this only a "if applicable" drop down menu item,( which it does not say by the way)?  Is it a glitch on the website?  I did look up and found that no Visa is required by Canadians for the Bahamas for one day.  I don't think he needs any Visa but post Covid I am not sure I know any new rules that might be out there and don't want to get to Charleston and be without.  We did drive to the US in April for a visit and no Visa was required.

NOTE: I did post this question in the Canadian sub as well but I am not certain it is a Canadian specific question.

Many other countries require a visitor visa of some type to enter the US for tourism purposes.

Citizens of Canada, along with 39 or 40 others, do not require visas:

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP), administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in consultation with the State Department, permits citizens of 40 countries to travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/visa-waiver-program#:~:text=The Visa Waiver Program (VWP,90 days without a visa.

But keep in mind there are Canadians who do visit the US under a work (or other) visa, so the function still can apply, which I guess is why they ask.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:16 PM, RCmommy said:

I am hoping someone can clarify..

While completing online check-in for our upcoming cruise in 11 days.  After entering my partner's valid Canadian passport info. I was then asked what type of US Visa he would be submitting.  huh? what? I have never seen this before.  We sail from Charleston and have to ports of call in Bahamas.  I was not asked because I am assuming I am a US citizen who has permanent resident status in Canada, with a US passport.

Now the strange (to me anyway) thing is, I click "skip this for now" and in my cruise manager it does say our online check in is complete.  When I click to review the information and go through each section to save and continue, it is all completed and green check marks everywhere.  It is only if I click the little edit button on my partner's travel doscuments, after the passport section, the next section is for "What type of US Visa is being submitted for XXxxx XxXxx?"

Is this only a "if applicable" drop down menu item,( which it does not say by the way)?  Is it a glitch on the website?  I did look up and found that no Visa is required by Canadians for the Bahamas for one day.  I don't think he needs any Visa but post Covid I am not sure I know any new rules that might be out there and don't want to get to Charleston and be without.  We did drive to the US in April for a visit and no Visa was required.

NOTE: I did post this question in the Canadian sub as well but I am not certain it is a Canadian specific question.

I'm Canadian living in the US, I've never had this question asked for cruises prior to Covid.  I skipped the question and have not had any problem embarking on a cruise since cruising started back up(6 cruises) except for the fact that they have many new employees at the terminal that do not know that if you are a permanent resident you must use your green card as identification instead of your passport. I have gone thru this each time and they always end up having to call a Supervisor for clarification. 

Thanks for the replies.  I have clicked the "skip this for now" and the website continues to tell me our online check-in is complete.  I'm guessing it is just an "if applicable" menu, so it should say that.  It threw me for a loop because I have never seen it before for any type of travel for us and it had me thinking perhaps it is something new post-pandemic.

9 minutes ago, RCmommy said:

Thanks for the replies.  I have clicked the "skip this for now" and the website continues to tell me our online check-in is complete.  I'm guessing it is just an "if applicable" menu, so it should say that.  It threw me for a loop because I have never seen it before for any type of travel for us and it had me thinking perhaps it is something new post-pandemic.

It's one of the problems with a 'one size fits all' type of website, especially when it comes to visas.

One huge problem that the US homeports for Alaska bound cruise ships deals with, is that the cruise lines do not clearly let foreign travelers know that certain countries (most Asian, almost all South American and all African countries) need a Canadian Visa to board a cruise ship to Alaska (due to the port-of-call in Victoria).  If these foreign visitors do not have a Canadian Visa, it is a full stop denial of boarding.  In Seattle, this is a daily occurrence on cruise days.  It is a very sad and heartbreaking result of cruise lines and travel agents not doing their job.  Passengers, also must do their due diligence, but the cruise line must make this information more prominent on their booking page.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It's one of the problems with a 'one size fits all' type of website, especially when it comes to visas.

One huge problem that the US homeports for Alaska bound cruise ships deals with, is that the cruise lines do not clearly let foreign travelers know that certain countries (most Asian, almost all South American and all African countries) need a Canadian Visa to board a cruise ship to Alaska (due to the port-of-call in Victoria).  If these foreign visitors do not have a Canadian Visa, it is a full stop denial of boarding.  In Seattle, this is a daily occurrence on cruise days.  It is a very sad and heartbreaking result of cruise lines and travel agents not doing their job.  Passengers, also must do their due diligence, but the cruise line must make this information more prominent on their booking page.  

More information definitely should be provided right on the website.  This is the third Carnival cruise (all originating in the US) that I have booked and the first time I have seen this Visa question.  I work on the internet every single day and still could not find a clear answer since there are so many different scenarios that it could include.  Being denied boarding would be so terrible! 

• Like 1