Insurance

sddsddean

Just booked a cruise for later in the year and just wondering who everyone is using for insurance at the moment. I'm leaning towards Staysure, (but I've got to phone them tomorrow to clear up a query!). Any other recommmendations?

Simon

PS Also posted on P&O board

not a recommendation  but Avanti is in the same group as Staysure.  

IIRC   Staysure wouldnt cover our pre existing  but Avanti did  ( at a price)

WE have not had to claim - that is the real test.

3 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

We use Staysure. So does my sister. She had to cancel a holiday in Italy because she got Covid the day before she was due to leave. She got every penny back.

Thanks...I've done the deal with Staysure. Fingers crossed we don't need to claim!

Simon

On 6/29/2022 at 5:39 PM, sddsddean said:

Fingers crossed we don't need to claim!

And thereby hangs a tale.

We are also with Staysure - just about the only company that would insure us with existing medical conditions. We have had to make a claim due to contracting Covid and being cancelled as a result by the cruise line a couple of days before sailing.

Making the claim has been a nightmare. Without going in to all the detail, it has taken five attempts to upload the supporting documents to them, over a period of a month. Whether this is simply a fault in their procedures or by design to put folk off, I do not know. But it is a considerable pain to have failed to upload twice automatically and twice dealing with real people at the company who failed to upload them having promised to do so. The last attempt which seemed to be successful now puts us waiting a couple of weeks to see if they will approve the claim.

When the insurance becomes due for renewal in a few weeks, I think we'll look to see who else may be around.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:40 PM, Harters said:

The last attempt which seemed to be successful now puts us waiting a couple of weeks to see if they will approve the claim.

Just to close this off, our claim has now been accpeted in full (less about £150 "excess") and we should have the refund sometime in the next few days.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 8:37 PM, sddsddean said:

The problem is, we all know, that no insurance company 'likes' to pay out!!

Best of luck

Simon

I disagree with this. The good insurers see paying out on genuine claims as the reason they exist.  That said, there are many insurers who don't have this attitude.

On 7/2/2022 at 8:37 PM, sddsddean said:

The problem is, we all know, that no insurance company 'likes' to pay out!!

Best of luck

Simon

Would disagree with this. Pre-pandemic DH took ill and was declared unfit to travel. 4 weeks after my initial phone call to the Insurance company the money was back in the bank less a small excess.

Just to close this off, our claim has now been accpeted in full (less about £150 "excess")

We are with Staysure and they cover our pre-existing conditions too. We always take a no excess deal with our annual policy - it costs just a few pounds and is worth it. I recently had to cancel a holiday  with Jet2 for major surgery and  they took 50% of final payment, as cancellation, but Staysure covered it within days.

Fingers crossed the renewal in September is realistic!

Getting through to them on the phone can be an issue - like every other company.