DOES RUBY PRINCESS HOST GATHERINGS OF MILITARY VETS USA AND CANADA?

2old4this

I have cruised a number of times and I remember that on my Grand Princess cruise between SF, Hawaii, and SF a veteran's coffee and snacks hour was hosted in one of Grand's lounges.  Can someone respond advising if Ruby Princess will do this during its SF, Panama, Galveston cruise set for 2 December 2022?  As it happened on Hawaii cruise, the crowd of vets was large with only two vets claiming the Korean War (I was one of them).

Edited by 2old4this
Added material

• 2 months later...

On my pending cruise on Ruby, (come on Ruby!) slated for December 2 out of SF, I shall attend whatever the cruise line provides regarding Veterans.  I will be 94 - spry as one can be with cane and hearing buttons - and eager to exaggerate my Korean War experiences to some new listeners. Kids at home have heard my recounting 3 and 4 times.  They just walk away. What I need is a new war so I can spew with fresh stuff.  I got a war wound, too, you'll want to see.  It's below the beltline so we will have to go somewhere we have privacy.  You military nurses might like to see, too, what staples, jelly, and rolls of tape can do.

I uploaded my latest snap.  See below!   I was kinda cute in my AF corporal's uniform in 1950.  If you beg a tad, I might show it in a future post.  Call me Jack.

JackAtACE.jpg

Edited by 2old4this
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2022 at 7:00 PM, kiwimum said:

Yes they do have Veterans get together.   On our last cruise FLL to Southampton we had a spry 96year old WWII veteran who was out and about, traveling alone and having a good old time.   

Great Scott!  96.  The poor bugger's outlived 5 morticians, all of whom kept a table open for him. I'm 94 and I know a few things regarding getting old.  Being old, as he was at 96, sex was still alive in him when he was carried aboard.  Inactive, surely, unable, for sure, but frolicing girls in see-thru lace was what was implanted in that man's mind; don't deny him what his fantasies scream night and day (mostly at night with the glass of Merlot).  It is all he's got.

I'm being pushed aboard on 2 December 2022 from SF and determined to see Galveston again.  Don't ask me why.  I never really liked the place.  For me, Galveston is just as bad as spending a 2-week honeymoon in Bakersfield, Ca.

Like my 96-year old elder who made it up the gangplank, I'll be the guy everyone will point to while recalling the white-haired guy with cane and earplugs who wanted to tell everyone what he had done during the Korean War.  Yup!  I'm your guy and please join me over wine some evening, I have some war stories to tell.

So hear is my amusing Vet story.  A few years ago, while on a HAL cruise, DW and I decided to go to the MDR for lunch.  When we got to the door, the hostess asked if we would mine joining an elderly gentleman (we were young seniors) to which we said, "yes."  The man was well into his 90s, a widower, and a WWII veteran.  He entertained us for over an hour with WWII stories.  As we were leaving the MDR, that same hostess asked how we enjoyed our lunch.  We said it was enjoyable and his stories were quite interesting.  She just laughed and said, "he always tells those same stories"So we need to keep finding new companions for his table.

Hank

P.S.  I am also a vet (Vietnam) but do not tell war stories :).

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2022 at 3:05 PM, Hlitner said:

So hear is my amusing Vet story.  A few years ago, while on a HAL cruise, DW and I decided to go to the MDR for lunch.  When we got to the door, the hostess asked if we would mine joining an elderly gentleman (we were young seniors) to which we said, "yes."  The man was well into his 90s, a widower, and a WWII veteran.  He entertained us for over an hour with WWII stories.  As we were leaving the MDR, that same hostess asked how we enjoyed our lunch.  We said it was enjoyable and his stories were quite interesting.  She just laughed and said, "he always tells those same stories"So we need to keep finding new companions for his table.

Hank

P.S.  I am also a vet (Vietnam) but do not tell war stories :).

A Great story, Hank, can make a good dinner.  The best end with the guests all crying and hugging one another.