Aft verandas Eurodam

Baabaaa

I’ll be booking a B2B on the Eurodam in Alaska. I’m trying to decide between deck 4 and 5 for an aft verandah.  Does one deck have more shade coverage, larger decks or cabins?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks🙂

We like aft staterooms and always try to book them. Not particular info about the E-dam, but: look very carefully at a bunch of photos to see what's above/below--on the outside. Deck 4 is above MDR. Both have only staterooms above.

What about machinery? One ship had permanent ladders and winches (for painting and maintenance) on the sides of the wraparound balcony on deck 4. Felt bad for those folks on port days when there was constant traffic.

Another time there was loud machinery below us. I see something similar in photos below deck 4... Thirdly, on the older ships we have had soot from the smokestacks drift onto our loungers. Perhaps this may now be mitigated in some way, don't know. Maybe search with keyword "soot."

Finally, do a search of recent reviews of your ship (in the member cruise review section) where they identify their cabin numbers and see if any issues are mentioned.

I did my first aft balcony on my recent Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam.  I probably won't do it again.  My balcony was pretty deep, but it was mostly wasted space.  I like to sit or stand near the rail and much of the balcony space between the stateroom and the rail is wasted.

Also, I like to know what scenery is coming up rather than after it goes by.

Edited by quack2
  • Like 1

We just got off Eurodam.  We had aft balconies on Deck 6, and loved them.  I think the only bad deck might be 8 since it’s under the aft pool.  There is window washing equipment, but that only seems to affect the wrap around suites on Deck 4 

EDB1D5CB-2522-4CC9-9C5A-62C7495EC4C8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I've had aft cabins on deck 8 twice on the Eurodam and loved it.  In fact, I have an aft balcony booked again for this September.  It's the only aft balcony that is fully covered.  You can hear deck chairs moving from time to time but it's not a deal breaker.

Just now, CruiserGreg said:

I've had aft cabins on deck 8 twice on the Eurodam and loved it.  In fact, I have an aft balcony booked again for this September.  It's the only aft balcony that is fully covered.  You can hear deck chairs moving from time to time but it's not a deal breaker.

We've had the deck 8 aft as well and also loved it. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 7:36 AM, sofietucker said:

What about machinery? One ship had permanent ladders and winches (for painting and maintenance) on the sides of the wraparound balcony on deck 4. Felt bad for those folks on port days when there was constant traffic.

Do not feel bad for them! These corner rooms on deck 4 are all Neptune Suites and there is plenty of balcony to make up for any lost space. You get a full 270 degrees of sight lines from this balcony. I had this room on Koningsdam and really only took up a tiny fraction of the viewing space. While the balcony itself is much larger on this class of ship in terms of how far out it goes, the waterfront real estate is basically the same. 

ACFFBB18-1B35-4000-9F91-BE15332C6190_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.9d0fb61bbbd3484f23e1593866128aa4.jpeg

EFF5FB2F-B432-4A1D-9116-C2879EC71261_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.852a8654c2cbb048def47e8e5bb1a886.jpeg

On 6/29/2022 at 9:38 AM, Baabaaa said:

I’ll be booking a B2B on the Eurodam in Alaska. I’m trying to decide between deck 4 and 5 for an aft verandah.  Does one deck have more shade coverage, larger decks or cabins?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks🙂

All of the aft facing cabins have unobstructed views. The biggest difference on any deck on Eurodam is that deck 8 is shaded and has a bit of an overhang above you. I personally prefer this because we like the shade and it is more private. The balconies below go farther and farther out so a little bit is viewable from above. Mostly people can only see you when you are standing at the railing and you get a bit more sun. Some people have reported issues with noise on deck 8 from the lido above when they set up the deck chairs in the morning, has not bothered us but we are not particularly sensitive to noise. 

Deck 4 might be a tiny bit larger but as I recall they are all pretty much the same size on the Signature class ships. Deck 4 will have less shade than deck 5. While the balconies go out farther and farther as you go down the deck moves out farther and farther also so the balcony size doesn't change much or that noticeably. The big exception to this is Koningsdam/Rotterdam/Nieuw Statendam where deck 4 has almost twice as large of a balcony. 

This was our aft facing balcony on Nieuw Amsterdam last summer. This is a corner Neptune Suite but the distance from the wall to the railing should be identical. 

I always recommend checking halfacts.com for cabin photos of the exact cabins you are looking at. They have an enormous collection of HAL cabin photos and I have always been able to find a picture of the cabin I want on a sister ship or the same ship or one very close to it. 

314326C3-D6F0-4859-81B4-B8F2F359C179_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.1c82d83848c8ef1a2d06583fe23e6ced.jpeg

Edited by zgscl
  • Like 2