Scootaround rental NY & Carnival questionnaire

ChosenOne

So even if you are renting a mobility scooter from Carnival approved Scootaround, you still need to file the Carnival mobility questionnaire?   This is the first time we rented scooter for my 83 yr old mom for Bermuda cruise from NY so I want to make sure we do things correctly.  My sister and I secretly upgraded our stateroom to a spa suite to surprise mom and so we would have extra room for the scooter.

Has anyone used a scooter rental out of New York?  Carnival states the scooter could be left in the cabin but when I ordered it I was told pick it up outside the terminal.  Mom can walk a bit but gets tired easily.  I know embarkation can get busy and was wondering if it is easier to get wheelchair assist and just get the scooter delivered to the room.

Any help is appreciated.🛳️

I believe it is actually easier to be able to pick it up in the terminal.  Instant seating while waiting in line, not having to wait to board until a wheelchair and pusher are available.  Same with debarkation.  Are you sure the cabin doorway will be wide enough for the scooter to enter?  And that the cabin will have a tub/shower, and those tubs usually have pretty high sides.  EM

• Like 1

I don't think you have a choice as to where the scooter is delivered.   If Scootaround tells you it will be at the terminal, then that's where you will have to pick it up and also drop it off on your last day.   They will have a kiosk or somthing similar with their scooters waiting to be picked up by passengers who have rented one.   I love picking up the scooter at the terminal; that way you will have the scooter from the get-go.  

Has your mom used a scooter before?   If not, she may want to take a few trial runs on one with a local mobility store or even trying the grocery store scooter carts would be better than nothing.   Getting on the ship is not the best place to learn how to operate a scooter.  

According to Carnival's website, it asks you to complete a mobility questionnaire if you are requesting an accessible room.   If it were me, I'd still fill out the form even if I didn't have an accessible room just so Carnival knows there is someone with mobility issues in case of an emergency.  

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users

And from the Scootaround website, take a look at the section called "Will a Scootaround electric mobility scooter fit through the cabin door?"   There may be a problem getting through the door if you rented anything larger than a transportable scooter.   If you ordered one of their transportable scooters, they are usually the Pride Go-Go Sport, which are 21.25" wide and Carnival says their non-accessible stateroom doors are 22" wide.   Check with Scootaround to verify the width of the scooter you rented.

https://scootaround.com/en/frequently-asked-questions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Essiesmom: we are aware of the tub.   Mom can get around the cabin okay and my sister and I can help her into the shower.  We have requested a seat for the shower.         Thanks for your input about the scooter.

If your spa suite is not a HC cabin, the doorway could be too narrow to accommodate the wheelchair rental.  It would behoove you to contact Scootaround for the dimensions of the scooter you'll be renting and make sure that it will fit in your cabin.  Also, just because you're in a suite doesn't mean you'll have a ton of extra space to park and charge the scooter since you can't park it in the hallway.  Unless you have a foldable scooter that will fit under your bed, it's always nice to have the extra room that a HC cabin provides for your scooter.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've rented from Scootaround in the past from the NYC terminal. Get the scooter at the kiosk your life will be so much easier. If you're waiting for Carnival personal to take y our mom to the room in a wheelchair, it could take an hour or so.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As one who has used a scooter on many many cruises, please allow me to give you my perspective.  If our mom is able to stand and walk a few steps on her own, AND she doesn’t fear mechanical things then she will have ZERO problems.  The scooters that vendors rent should fit through the stateroom door.  Notice I said SHOULD.  The rentable scooters usually have a speed control (usually there is a turtle on one end of the dial and a rabbit on the other.  Have her practice on the turtle speed till she gets comfortable.

As far as I am concerned I would rather pick up the scooter outside the ship rather than in the cabin.  That way you can drive it to your stateroom and you’re not at the mercy of waiting till someone can take you.  Same for disembarking you wait in a comfy chair.

All in all she should love the experience and good voyage!

• Like 2