Change Passenger on Reservation

arlsvera

I am sailing on Holland America in mid August with a group of six people.  One of those folks might have to cancel.  How close to the cruise can I change the name of the person in the cabin?

Thanks in advance!

You really need to contact Holland America for this question or if you booked through a Travel Agent contact them. Any changes made even a name change after final and penalties starting will result in penalties and fees. The personal canceling out will most likely be in penalty and receive less refund and they may possibly charge the full amount to the new person. It makes it even more complicated if they had HAL travel insurance. Yes always easy to add 2nd passenger NOT easy to change names.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

You really need to contact Holland America for this question or if you booked through a Travel Agent contact them. Any changes made even a name change after final and penalties starting will result in penalties and fees. The personal canceling out will most likely be in penalty and receive less refund and they may possibly charge the full amount to the new person. It makes it even more complicated if they had HAL travel insurance. Yes always easy to add 2nd passenger NOT easy to change names.

I totally agree with Lisa here, it really depends on a lot. It also depends who paid for the reservation. If grandma paid for the whole family and you are just swapping out one person for another because her grandson has a new girlfriend that should be a relatively simple change. The reason additions are so simple is that you have already paid the single supplement so the only thing that needs to happen is to pay the additional port taxes and fees for the second person. If the second person needs to pay for part of the trip they would usually just pay the first person (rather than getting a refund of the supplement and then charging the 2 person fare). 

On the other hand, If this is a group of friends where everyone paid with their own credit card and someone cancelling wants a refund or to claim through insurance and now a different person needs to pay then this will be much more difficult to achieve within final payment (or even outside of final payment if you can't cancel and rebook at the same fare). Best to call HAL or your TA to get specific advice or information based on your particular situation. I also recommend finalizing everything sooner rather than later. 

Usually it is 10 days but just last week I called 30 hours prior to embarkation and was told if I paid $50 they would allow the change.  This was a cruise from Montreal to Boston. 

there are other insurance/single supplement considerations if it is a no show not a change.   That is a bit more complex.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies! Holland America said I could change a passenger name for $50. I need to notify them 5 days in advance. (My TA was out of town when I originally posted the question)

• Like 1