Booked with SAS Airlines through Norwegian

So we all know that flying this summer is "interesting".  (And truly, I'm not dogging anyone, everyone's doing the best they can with what they've got!)

That being said, with the pilot's strike and the bankruptcy, anyone flying SAS in the near future? Has NCL some anything to rebook your flight? We're supposed to fly LAX to Copenhagen on Sunday the 17th  🤞.  (We landed in the Dawn on Wednesday the 20th, so we have some wiggle room, though of course we were hoping to use that time for seeing the city!)

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that's impossible to give. 🤷‍♀️ But if you have any, I'll take it! 

We live in Norway, and SAS Scandinavian Airlines is normally the airline we prefer, we have flights booked with them to get from north of Norway to Venice on the 21st for our two cruises - first cruise starts out of Trieste July 24th and the second cruise is August 3rd out of Rome. And of course we have booked return tickets with SAS from Rome to north of Norway on August 14th. 

For our SAS flights that are supposed to take place on July 21st, to get to Italy - I am not "relaxed and optimistic" at all. Literally thousands of people in Norway, Sweden and Denmark have alrady within the first 36 hours of the pilot strike had their vacation plans ruined, and with travel insurances not covering expenses caused by strikes and the airline at best offering a small, fixed amount as "compensation" for "other losses" besides the flight, I feel so sorry for everyone who will have their flights cancelled. 

From Scandinavia (at least not from Norway) we don't have that many airlines to choose from when SAS is "out of the question" - and with the SAS pilot strike "known" in advance to be very likely to happen, all flights are already getting fully booked. And IF you find tickets, the prices are extremely high. Even train tickets from Scandinavia to rest of Europe are getting hard to find right now.

So as soon as the SAS pilot strike was a fact, I booked us new tickets from Northern Norway to Rome - had to pay much more than they normally cost but at least now we know that we WILL get to Italy one way or another. Because IF the strike is still going on when we get to July 21st, then at that time there would be absolutely NO WAY we would find means of transportation to get from "top of Norway" to Trieste and allthough the plane tickets would be reimbursed and the hotels I have booked post- and pre-cruise in Italy are all possible to cancel without any penalties - the two cruises I have booked and fully paid thousands of $$$ for with NCL would be lost. And those two cruises are are "replacements" for two cruises that were cancelled by NCL in 2020 because of the pandemic, and then rebooked for 2021, and then cancelled again and rebooked for 2022. Usually we do two cruises per year, and this will be the first cruises since May 2019... So I do NOT want to risk them to get "lost" because I can't get to them in time....

As reassurance for OP: At least there are many, many choices for you to get from LAX to Copenhagen instead of flying with SAS, so I sincerely wish you best of luck!

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deelightfull said:

So we all know that flying this summer is "interesting".  (And truly, I'm not dogging anyone, everyone's doing the best they can with what they've got!)

That being said, with the pilot's strike and the bankruptcy, anyone flying SAS in the near future? Has NCL some anything to rebook your flight? We're supposed to fly LAX to Copenhagen on Sunday the 17th  🤞.  (We landed in the Dawn on Wednesday the 20th, so we have some wiggle room, though of course we were hoping to use that time for seeing the city!)

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that's impossible to give. 🤷‍♀️ But if you have any, I'll take it! 

You can find a long discussion of this over in the northern Europe forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, deelightfull said:

Thanks! 🤞 The world revolves around me 😜 and the strike gets resolved quickly!

I see you are responding to me, but frankly, I have no idea of what you are trying to say.

Thanks for showing me the other topic, it's good to see other I'm the same boat, even though none of us can fix it.  And while I really hope they SOLVE their issues, I'm selfishly just hoping it's not a problem for me in two weeks. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, deelightfull said:

Thanks for showing me the other topic, it's good to see other I'm the same boat, even though none of us can fix it.  And while I really hope they SOLVE their issues, I'm selfishly just hoping it's not a problem for me in two weeks. 🤷‍♀️

OK, I get it now. I misunderstood your previous post.

It should be possible to change to other Star Alliance airlines -- United, Lufthansa, Swiss -- although the routes would probably be inconvenient, with connections in Europe, elsewhere in the U.S., or both. Getting through to anyone who can make the change for you might be the hardest part.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

It should be possible to change to other Star Alliance airlines -- United, Lufthansa, Swiss -- although the routes would probably be inconvenient, with connections in Europe, elsewhere in the U.S., or both. Getting through to anyone who can make the change for you might be the hardest part.

Hubby was able to get someone on the phone yesterday, and they will indeed transfer us to a United Flight, but only after ours had been officially cancelled, which will maybe be one to two days out, 😬. (The flight we were on is the ONLY direct flight from LAX to Copenhagen, and it just is once a day, so if we do get transferred, it absolutely will have connections, somewhere, ideally, only one.)

Edited by deelightfull

1 hour ago, deelightfull said:

Hubby was able to get someone on the phone yesterday, and they will indeed transfer us to a United Flight, but only after ours had been officially cancelled, which will maybe be one to two days out, 😬. (The flight we were on is the ONLY direct flight from LAX to Copenhagen, and it just is once a day, so if we do get transferred, it absolutely will have connections, somewhere, ideally, only one.)

Wishing you good luck. The best would be to be on your original flight. The next best would be for your luggage to make its way with you through any connection. (We were once on a Baltic cruise, and several days in I heard a woman say her luggage was finally found and sent to the ship.)

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

...The next best would be for your luggage to make its way with you through any connection....

Thankfully, our flight isn't for another 10 days or so. luggage that's been checked in isn't an issue for us.  I know several people who've had this issue over the summer. 🤷‍♀️

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I would be proactive in getting these flights reticketed asap. 

I wish.  Because our flights are though Norwegian we're dependent on their policies.  And for them, the original flight has to be officially cancelled before they'll rebook.  If I could afford my own flights, this isn't the vacation I'd be taking. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by deelightfull
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, deelightfull said:

I wish.  Because our flights are though Norwegian we're dependent on their policies.  And for them, the original flight has to be officially cancelled before they'll rebook.  If I could afford my own flights, the isn't the vacation I'd be taking. 🤷‍♀️

I'm so sorry. This is the exact reason I always recommend against using NCL to purchase air. I know it's too late for you, but maybe someone else reading this will choose different. I wish you LOTS of luck. Hopefully SAS will do the right thing and cancel flights long in advance so you have time to get this worked out. 

• Like 1