Warning: Celebrity booked us on airplane that cannot accommodate a power chair!

GRBlizz

This may be common knowledge among those power chair users who fly often. We have only flown once since my husband started requiring a power chair full time. To travel within the US, we just drive in our ramp van, and we usually cruise out of US ports.

Well, we have a cruise scheduled in August that requires us to fly back from Iceland. Celebrity's air prices were good, so I booked with them. Upon calling to arrange seats, I learned that one leg is a regional jet (small) plane, and the maximum height of the cargo hold opening is 33". My husband's chair is a pretty standard power chair, but it is 41" tall with the headrest removed. So we cannot take this flight.

Here's the problem: there are NO other flights out of that airport (Montreal) to the US that use standard size planes. And fares have gone up a lot since we booked, so a routing through a different city on widebody planes that was the same price when we booked in April is now $1000/person more. Yikes.

Celebrity Flights is refusing to accommodate, although my Celebrity Sales Agent is still working on it. 

Anyway, just a warning for anyone thinking of booking a flight through the airlines - confirm the equipment first!

• Thanks 1

When you booked, did you fill out the special services notification for the airline that advised them you had a power chair?  If so, and the airlines took that booking, then the airline should move you to a flight that will accommodate the power chair in the cargo hold.

Also, did you advise the Celebrity cruise disabled accommodation dept you were booking flights through Celebrity?  They are also supposed to assist with disabled accommodation.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

When you booked, did you fill out the special services notification for the airline that advised them you had a power chair?  If so, and the airlines took that booking, then the airline should move you to a flight that will accommodate the power chair in the cargo hold.

Also, did you advise the Celebrity cruise disabled accommodation dept you were booking flights through Celebrity?  They are also supposed to assist with disabled accommodation.

Well, I booked with a CVP, but not with the one I had been working with. He was off on final payment day, and an upgraded cabin I wanted came available that I needed to grab. They listened to the call, and although I told that person I needed wheelchair support, I did not mention that it was a power chair. However, my customer record did say my husband had a power chair. So apparently the person who sold the flights did not check the record, and I didn't know to ask. It never occurred to me that this would be an issue.

Celebrity is coming down on assigning 50% of the rebooking cost to me, and 50% to them. This makes the increased cost prohibitive. Not sure what we will do.

But thank you for that info. It will help for future flights.

Very unfortunate situation. I just wanted this out there as a lesson learned.

• Like 1

Have you been in contact with the Celebrity disabled services office?  What airline is this?  If an American airline, they also have to have a special disabled services group.

The fact that your husband uses a wheelchair was told to the CVP.  Did this same person booked the air or did they communicate with the Celebrity air group.  Did you ever get a form or anything from Celebrity about your husband's disability needs? I am guessing that the person booking didn't send you anything. The form is on the Celebrity website, but if you book directly with Celebrity, they are supposed to send you the disability form so you can send Celebrity a list of the disabled needs.  This is also how Celebrity is supposed to confirm you actually need the wheelchair accessible cabin.

It sound to me like Celebrity really dropped the ball on this and are the ones who made the mistake.  I do think it should be elevated, especially since you have nothing to lose since the change makes the costs prohibited.

Also, the airline may have some responsibility.  What airline and what is the actual type of plane in your booking?

• Like 1

I really appreciate your help. It turns out we are able to cancel this cruise and rebook for next year with appropriate flights, so that is what we will do. 

But it is a valuable lesson, and I wanted to make sure people know that you cannot just assume a power chair will fit on all aircraft.

Flights by Celebrity has been very squirrely to deal with, even though my CVP is outstanding. For example, my contract says I have refundable flights with a cancellation penalty of $200/person, but they are trying to keep about $500/person. Anyway, I expect the insurance company can sort that out.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I always review flights and prices before I let anyone else book it.  

You are right. This was a lesson learned for us, since it's our first time flying with the power chair. I had looked at flights and prices, but wasn't aware that not all equipment can handle a powerchair. That's really why I was posting, in case it could help others.