Covid Testing Charge

eburk0205

As a physician and many year lab medical director, it is amazing to me that anyone ever thought for a minute that this testing ever was or should be free, especially for travel!

Youre going on a multi thousand dollar cruise - why quibble over a $50 test?

Yall realize Medicare would never ever pay for this normally, and would put everyone, except the patient, under the jail for offering the testing free for travel, them billing Medicare - it’s called “medical necessity”.

To help combat the pandemic, the federal govt sank millions into paying for testing. We worried a lot at the beginning about medical necessity, but somewhere along the way, someone decided that it was more important to get people tested, regardless of why (and I agree with that thinking) a person sought testing. That’s over, and we are more back to normal, if you need an observed test, you gotta pay for the observer.
I just hope the pre-cruise testing is retired as a policy before all the pay for testing sources are gone.

• Like 1

I do not mind paying.  It was just different.  Our testing will be paid by our fairly expensive supplemental insurance.  If not, I will pay as it is just part of being able to travel.  I just thought it would have been kind of someone(CVS) to explain the change and not just shrug my question aside.  I gladly pay for the test but also for a physical too seems a bit much but what can one do if we want to travel.

5 hours ago, SueMo said:

Does anybody know how far in advance you can make an appointment with OnPoint testing?

We have a friend that made an appointment yesterday for tomorrow evening, but that's as much as I know.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:57 AM, sweetgirl26 said:

Please let us know how long it took to receive your email results.

Thanks

It went great. I took the test at a local Walmart pharmacy on Friday morning (I don’t live close to a Quest Diagnostics lab) and Quest sent me the results the following morning around 7am. I was very pleased with the entire process. 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:16 PM, DCPIV said:

We have a friend that made an appointment yesterday for tomorrow evening, but that's as much as I know.

Rapidtestandtrace.com and Onpoint are within $5 incost.  They both offer an easy proctored service.   You can get appointments weeks out.  Go to their websites and look.  With there being little demand easy to get an appointment a day or two ahead.

Quibble over a few dollars for testing is silly.

We used Rapidtestandtrace.com recently and did it with both just an Android Duo call and with Microsoft Teams (a free app)  the Microsoft app made things easy enough for my DW who hates anything to do with a cell phone quite happy.  No problems and got results in 20 minutes.

I will be using On Point this Friday. We have to work Friday and have a 6am flight on Saturday. I couldn’t stress about trying to get tested somewhere with that little bit of time. There are 3 things that are already stressing this trip before it even starts: negative results, flights, the Bermuda TA. I remember when planning for a vacation was half the fun.