WhitePass Railroad or Chilkoot Yukon Klondike Bus Adventure?

llarsen

Hi,

I have booked the Yukon Klondike Bus Adventure with Chilkoot Charters for our August Crown Princess Alaska cruise for my husband and other couples.

The Chilkoot bus adventure takes us into Canada and stops at points of interest. (There is no train ride on this tour) They also serve a BBQ Chicken lunch at Caribou Cross Trading Post. It is a 6.5hr tour and ends at Emerald Lake before heading back.

My brother in law and his wife will no longer be able to go on it, because his health is deteriorating due to cancer and the bus tour is a 6.5hr long. They have been to Alaska prior to his health problems and already did many activities there. They raved about the WhitePass Railroad and would like to do that one again.

From what I understand since Covid, is that the Railroad no longer goes up into Canada, that it only goes to the border and turns back around.

They told us to go on the Yukon Klondike Bus Adventure (because they know how much I wanted to do it) but I feel badly about leaving them out.

Has anyone done this Yukon bus Adventure who can tell me it is worth it compared to the WhitePass Railroad?

If anyone has done the new version of WhitePass Railroad where it just goes to border and turns around, can you tell me was it worth it?

I just don't know what to do. This tour is the only one we have booked and I really want to be able to see some beautiful scenery. But if the Railroad is just as nice I would rather do that with them so they are not left out.

Thanks!

I was on the Yukon bus adventure with Chilkoot Charters in May, and highly recommend it. I took the combination bus and train tour with them a few years ago, and it was excellent as well, but was not an option this year. 

I have also taken the roundtrip Summit train ride in the past. It is well worth it if you have not done it before. You actually are on the train longer than the bus / train combo trips to Fraser into Canada that are not operating this year.

if you have never done either one, you will be satisfied which ever one you choose. The advantage of the small bus tour is that it goes further, actually stops multiple times so you can take photographs, includes scenery you will not see on the train, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, llarsen said:

They told us to go on the Yukon Klondike Bus Adventure (because they know how much I wanted to do it) but I feel badly about leaving them out.

I suggest you do the bus tour that you wanted.

they said they think you should do it and won’t feel left out.

but your brother may feel guilty if you don’t go because of him.  
you’re going to be together for plenty of time the rest of the trip.

think of it as giving him and wife a little time to themselves, and not making him feel like he is changing peoples trip.

either way, I hope you all enjoy it. Best,

• Like 3

@llarsen, we did both RT summit train ride and bus through Carcross to Yukon in our recent 19 day cruisetour.

Train ride was beautiful, and you get to take pictures any time/any where along the way,

20220618_143206.thumb.jpg.278e6bc5985de1885c58265ae83b12d1.jpg

Emerland lake near Carcross is stunning, and you got to take pictures when/where the bus makes those few minute stop,

20220619_134826.thumb.jpg.4a225bb63d56bfb40f7da8d2227e810a.jpg

The experience will be different, but you will have good time whichever you choose.  Just make sure it is what YOU really want to do, and your family members know that.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

Adventurous?  Years ago we rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake.  We could stop anywhere for however long we wanted.  See a bear?  Cool - stop.  Waterfall?  Cool - stop.  Awesome trip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Adventurous?  Years ago we rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake.  We could stop anywhere for however long we wanted.  See a bear?  Cool - stop.  Waterfall?  Cool - stop.  Awesome trip.

Can you tell me more about your driving experience? We are debating renting a car on our own versus the scenic railroad. I’m not sure I want to sit on a train for three hours and would prefer the flexibility of a car. I’m assuming the scenery is just as amazing? And enough places to eat that I won’t feel like I have to stop along a river and catch salmon for lunch. We are in Port for about 9 hours

5 hours ago, shuyak said:

@llarsen, we did both RT summit train ride and bus through Carcross to Yukon in our recent 19 day cruisetour.

Train ride was beautiful, and you get to take pictures any time/any where along the way,

20220618_143206.thumb.jpg.278e6bc5985de1885c58265ae83b12d1.jpg

Emerland lake near Carcross is stunning, and you got to take pictures when/where the bus makes those few minute stop,

20220619_134826.thumb.jpg.4a225bb63d56bfb40f7da8d2227e810a.jpg

The experience will be different, but you will have good time whichever you choose.  Just make sure it is what YOU really want to do, and your family members know that.  Enjoy.

Wow! These photos are stunning. I think we should do the bus to see some things. From other reports, our cruise ship has had itinerary changes getting into the other ports at 5:00pm! Skagway is the only port they didn't change, so I think we should take advantage of that and try and see some things, as 3 of us are into photography. Thanks for posting these!

3 hours ago, Tippyton said:

I thought about this. Is it an easy drive?

20 minutes ago, llarsen said:

Is it an easy drive?

It is a very easy drive as there is only one road after you get to the edge of town. Before you think about this to long check if they have any cars available. In years past they would go quick and would be long gone by now. It would be like driving 101 with one lane each way and no traffic. Just like the bus all would need passports and may need new ArriveCan entry. Make sure car has full gas tank and everyone has used the restrooms before heading out. I was struggling with how to answer your original question but this one is an easy one. 

sightcrr

1 hour ago, davela2 said:

Can you tell me more about your driving experience? We are debating renting a car on our own versus the scenic railroad. I’m not sure I want to sit on a train for three hours and would prefer the flexibility of a car. I’m assuming the scenery is just as amazing? And enough places to eat that I won’t feel like I have to stop along a river and catch salmon for lunch. We are in Port for about 9 hours

We had lunch in Carcross.  Nothing in between.  We saw bears both directions, and there are some cool stops along the way.  There are no expansive bridges to go over but the scenery is great nonetheless.  Ill see if I can drum up some pics.

• Like 2

Annndddd....

Our 2nd trip in 2018 we ferried over to Haines and rented a car and went up the Chilkat and Chilkoot Rivers, and to Chilkat Lake. Watched the bears and the Salmon.  These were the big brown Kodiak bears.

Edited by Tippyton
added clarity

13 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Annndddd....

Our 2nd trip in 2018 we ferried over to Haines and rented a car and went up the Chilkat and Chilkoot Rivers, and to Chilkat Lake. Watched the bears and the Salmon.  These were the big brown Kodiak bears.

I really wanted to see the Kodiak bears catching salmon. If we ever do another Alaska trip we will definitely do as you did. This is our first trip, and also we are traveling with others that are not as adventurous. Thanks for your replies!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SightCRR said:

It is a very easy drive as there is only one road after you get to the edge of town. Before you think about this to long check if they have any cars available. In years past they would go quick and would be long gone by now. It would be like driving 101 with one lane each way and no traffic. Just like the bus all would need passports and may need new ArriveCan entry. Make sure car has full gas tank and everyone has used the restrooms before heading out. I was struggling with how to answer your original question but this one is an easy one. 

sightcrr

I think you are correct on the car situation, but I will check it out just to see if it's even an option. Thanks so much!

I am a bear lover, too - been to Alaska a couple of times - only ever saw bears in Juneau ... but they were definitely catching salmon (saw them on the boardwalk by the Mendenhall glacier).  We have done the rail/bus combo.  We are in Skagway again this summer - if there were cars available, I think we would have rented one - but are going to do do the rail trip for sure.  I don't think you can lose in Skagway with any of these three options - the scenery is beautiful and you will get fantastic pictures on any of these options (the bus driver we had stopped every time anyone wanted to stop - it was just a small bus with 11 of us on it).

• Like 1

Go to Trip Advisor and read the reviews on Chilkoot Charters and Tours. I think it will give you an idea of what guests have experienced on a tour to the Yukon with them. They will pick you up at the dock instead of walking to town to get a car. Not a problem for some folks, but can be for others. Especially if it’s raining.

• Like 1

Had the same dilemma a month ago. I decided to do the charter because I really wanted to go into the Yukon. I think it was a good decision. One of my favorite excursions I've done. The bus stops at multiple places along the way if you want to take pictures, which many did because the scenery was amazing. Carcross, Caribou Crossing, and also went on a suspension bridge which were really cool. Saw a lot of wildlife along the way, about 5 bears and moose, etc...

The trip was about 7 hrs vs the 2hrs I think you'd be doing if you went on the rail. I think if you plan on coming back to Alaska soonish then maybe the rail would be ok to go, since you can do the full rail and back next time. That was what I was considering but I wasn't sure when I'd come back so I wanted the full experience now. 

We just did the car rental and drive to Emerald Lake last week - we loved it, despite the lack of bear sightings. We loved having the flexibility to stop when when wanted vs when a tour driver decided. And instead of waiting for 20 people at each stop, we could be quick when we wanted, or take more time as desired. I printed out the free pdf of Murray's Guide, which allowed me to read aloud what we were seeing as we drove along. My husband might wonder what [this] was as we were approaching, and the guide always had the answer. As suggested in the Guide, we stopped at Tutshi Sled Dog summer musher's camp and played with adorable 4 week and 8 week old puppies, and learned about mushing. We didn't take the sled ride that was on offer. The Guide also shares information on bathroom options along the drive (stop in Carcross) and gas stations in Skagway. Had we not already visited on our last trip, we'd have also stopped at the Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Reid Falls on the way back into town. My only regret is forgetting to buy the recommended doughboy treat in Skayway.

We paid about $170 all in for our rental car, which included an extra $10 for having it dropped right at the dock for us, so we didn't have to walk into town to pick it up. We were also able to leave it at the dock and pop right back onto the ship with a couple of hours to spare. We spent about $40 on gas. We rented from Affordable Car Rental, which was less expensive than Avis. Booking online didn't work, but we emailed and got a quick response and finished the booking by phone.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2022 at 10:23 PM, ccqueenanne said:

We just did the car rental and drive to Emerald Lake last week - we loved it, despite the lack of bear sightings. We loved having the flexibility to stop when when wanted vs when a tour driver decided. And instead of waiting for 20 people at each stop, we could be quick when we wanted, or take more time as desired. I printed out the free pdf of Murray's Guide, which allowed me to read aloud what we were seeing as we drove along. My husband might wonder what [this] was as we were approaching, and the guide always had the answer. As suggested in the Guide, we stopped at Tutshi Sled Dog summer musher's camp and played with adorable 4 week and 8 week old puppies, and learned about mushing. We didn't take the sled ride that was on offer. The Guide also shares information on bathroom options along the drive (stop in Carcross) and gas stations in Skagway. Had we not already visited on our last trip, we'd have also stopped at the Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Reid Falls on the way back into town. My only regret is forgetting to buy the recommended doughboy treat in Skayway.

We paid about $170 all in for our rental car, which included an extra $10 for having it dropped right at the dock for us, so we didn't have to walk into town to pick it up. We were also able to leave it at the dock and pop right back onto the ship with a couple of hours to spare. We spent about $40 on gas. We rented from Affordable Car Rental, which was less expensive than Avis. Booking online didn't work, but we emailed and got a quick response and finished the booking by phone.

I took your suggestion, cancelled the train, and rented the car from Affordable, with the extra fee for drop off and pick up.  Our stop in Skagway is relatively short on our cruise (from 7am until 4pm).  Do you think we'll be rushed at all, if we stop to see sights along the way?  I had planned to go all the way to Emerald Lake, leaving as early as we can.  Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, BBGrace273 said:

I took your suggestion, cancelled the train, and rented the car from Affordable, with the extra fee for drop off and pick up.  Our stop in Skagway is relatively short on our cruise (from 7am until 4pm).  Do you think we'll be rushed at all, if we stop to see sights along the way?  I had planned to go all the way to Emerald Lake, leaving as early as we can.  Thoughts?

Our stop had a similar port time. We didn't rush right off the ship - probably left 9:30am-ish. We spent at least an hour at the Musher Camp. We stopped in Carcross for probably 15 minutes, maybe 20-30 minutes at Emerald Lake, stops for photos along the way whenever we wanted. We could have taken even more time, but my husband is one who frets about missing the ship. With stopping to fill up before parking back at the dock, we were back at least 1.5 hours early. You will absolutely have time for Emerald Lake. If you save the Gold Rush Cemetery/Reid Falls for the end, you can cut it if you feel short on time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccqueenanne said:

Our stop had a similar port time. We didn't rush right off the ship - probably left 9:30am-ish. We spent at least an hour at the Musher Camp. We stopped in Carcross for probably 15 minutes, maybe 20-30 minutes at Emerald Lake, stops for photos along the way whenever we wanted. We could have taken even more time, but my husband is one who frets about missing the ship. With stopping to fill up before parking back at the dock, we were back at least 1.5 hours early. You will absolutely have time for Emerald Lake. If you save the Gold Rush Cemetery/Reid Falls for the end, you can cut it if you feel short on time.

Awesome!  Thanks so much for your help.