Best tracker for suit cases when flying??

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I have left the batteries in. They are supposed to last about a year. I have had my AirTags one year and three months and no low power warning yet. That said I plan to buy a pack of 4 batteries at Target next week and replace the batteries as I don't want to be caught short. A 4 pack should run about $8. I don't only use them for luggage. I have one on my key ring and one in my wallet. (wont fit in all wallets but I use a zipper wallet that I keep in my front pocket) By the way batteries go bad even if you leave them out. My mother had hearing aid batteries and being OCD she bought a huge supply. By the time she used half of them the unused batteries had gone bad. 

1 hour ago, Cailey53 said:

We plan on leaving the batteries in--they should last up to a year and the type of battery is easy to find on Amazon. 

Thanks for the answers, my main concern was if the batteries might corrode if leaving them in.

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They work fine inside, they are allowed inside and inside is the best place. Luggage is often mishandled at airports and outside tags sometimes get torn off. Also don’t want a thief to steal the AirTag. My luggage happens to have some small pockets inside so I drop the AirTag in one of those. 

Thanks.  Keeping them on the outside of my luggage and the possibility of theft was my concern.

3 hours ago, kb4683 said:

Thanks for the answers, my main concern was if the batteries might corrode if leaving them in.

Kay, I would be worried if left inside they might corrode over time.  It seems it would be safer to take them out between using them in the luggage.  Once corrosion happens, it might make the air tags unusable.

• Thanks 1

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

Kay, I would be worried if left inside they might corrode over time.  It seems it would be safer to take them out between using them in the luggage.  Once corrosion happens, it might make the air tags unusable.

Sandi, exactly my thought.  

I did go onto an Apple support forum yesterday and found out if the battery is left out then the device will have to be re-paired to your iPhone/iPad (makes sense).  Pairing was very simple/straightforward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Don't buy a cheap battery. I have used the type used in Airtags for other devices and Energizers for example are supposed to be able to be stored for 8 years.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Sandi, exactly my thought.  

I did go onto an Apple support forum yesterday and found out if the battery is left out then the device will have to be re-paired to your iPhone/iPad (makes sense).  Pairing was very simple/straightforward.

They are designed to last a year before dying so certainly the supplied batteries are not going to corrode for a long time. 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone who recovered a lost or delayed bag reported how the tracker helped in that ?  Do the airline lost-bag offices have a way to use the location information ?  I did read about someone who flew from the US back to Schipol (I think) and got permission to paw through a mountain of mislaid bags in a storage room.

I think trackers are more likely to be useful for bags that are mislaid (e.g. forgotten in a taxi) or stolen (e.g. from a train) or pick-pocketed.