Other Options than Atlantis

notscb

Hi All!

I figured I'd start a new thread to see if anyone had options for LGBTQ+ specific cruises that were not Atlantis? I'm interested in taking a cruise where (as they say) I'm part of the majority on the ship and don't have to feel out of place, but I'm not sure that Atlantis cruises are exactly right for myself or my husband. Does anyone have any recommendations for cruise lines or specific cruises (could be large, small or private ships) that cater to LGBTQ+ cruisers?

10 hours ago, notscb said:

Hi All!

I figured I'd start a new thread to see if anyone had options for LGBTQ+ specific cruises that were not Atlantis? I'm interested in taking a cruise where (as they say) I'm part of the majority on the ship and don't have to feel out of place, but I'm not sure that Atlantis cruises are exactly right for myself or my husband. Does anyone have any recommendations for cruise lines or specific cruises (could be large, small or private ships) that cater to LGBTQ+ cruisers?

We cruise in NCL's Haven. This is certainly not an equivalent alternative to Atlantis, but it's what works for us. I also don't feel that they cater specifically to our alphabet soup community, however they do treat us respectfully and just as one would treat another person. I say that, mainly to say that this may not be the answer to your question, since you're looking for a cruise where you'll be in the majority. 

My husband and I would never, ever touch foot on an Atlantis sailing. Their marketing materials scare us away, but then Instagram scenes of 100's, if not 1000's of scantily clad men clasping to their drinks while dancing by the pool decks....let's just say, that is about as far from our scene as a (straight) gentlemen's club.

We rarely drink, we don't party, we're in bed typically by 9 PM and up around 5 AM. Our home has ten acres of land in a rural area where there are more cows than people, and we have four dogs, plus a cat. I keep insisting on a donkeys, chickens, and other barnyard animals, but haven't won that battle quite yet.

The Haven is perfect for us, and it seems to be for many gay couples. I'm gay, not anything else, so cannot answer the question about how welcoming it may be if you're trans, etc.

On our April sailing we saw two couples with kids (one that should absolutely not be allowed to have kids, but that's another conversation), and several other married couples (probably some unmarried too). The surroundings are quiet, upscale, but don't give the perception of extravagance. It is tasteful and unmarred by a dress code. 

It is wonderful to venture out on the pool deck to do some people watching, play a few rounds of poker/slots, and then retreat to our quiet room. Additionally, we get the thermal spa so that we are able to relax in the sauna, salt room, steam room, and hydrotherapy pool. It's quiet, there is infused water and plenty of hot tea to choose from. 

• Like 3

I've done 2 Atlantis cruises and it was fun at the time.  As I've gotten older, and more of a dad bod, I just cruise on regular cruises, mostly Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, and I've found that there are many gay couples aboard.  We've become friends with many of them, have booked future cruises with others and still stay in contact with others on WhatsApp and other social platforms.  The crew also are very receptive to us and we've never had an issue with them.  My advice; go on a ship where you'd like to go and you'll find others just the same.  Enjoy.

• Like 4

We are a lesbian couple and have been on 3 cruises with Pied Piper Cruises. They are not Atlantis and they don’t have the entire ship but they get rooms on many sailings every year all over the world. The guys are great and put together programs for our group that are lots of fun. The ratio of men to women in their group is about 10/1 but for the most part we have felt welcome on these cruises.

• Like 3

Though I have nothing against Atlantis cruises (I have been on a bunch and there really is something for everyone, not just party boys, which we definitely are not), we have started to branch out a little and try other gay oriented cruise/vacation options.  Vacaya, which specializes in both cruise and land resort charters is a great alternative to Atlantis.  Catering to the entire LGTBQ+ community, they do like to have fun and are much less circuit than Atlantis, with a focus on customer service - we have done both a cruise and land resort vacation with them.  Another option that we are trying out in December is BrandG, which specializes in both European river boats and land tour charters, offering a more intimate option for all-gay vacations -- appear to be very high end and look like a lot of fun.  

Edited by frquarterguy
  • Like 2

We've done Atlantis, RSVP, & Pied Piper Post-Thanksgiving and have had wonderful experiences.  Since then we've discovered (for us anyway) all-gay cruises aren't the "necessity" they once were for us.  Would we do them again ... absolutely!

FYI... We have friends that have done Vacaya and heard nothing but good things.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, frquarterguy said:

Another option that we are trying out in December is BrandG, which specializes in both European river boats and land tour charters, offering a more intimate option for all-gay vacations -- appear to be very high end and look like a lot of fun.  

First I'm hearing about them.  Time to Google them 😉🧐

• Like 2

I had no idea there were actually other options out there! I spent some time looking through Pied Piper's website and was surprised at the affordability of their cruise packages- even on newer ships (like the Apex).

On 7/21/2022 at 8:39 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Their marketing materials scare us away

I would agree. I've read posts about how Atlantis Cruises are what you make of them, but honestly they are marketing as if they only want a certain type of (masc) queer person to join them and lack a sense of inclusivity in their branding.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:10 PM, notscb said:

Hi All!

Hello I too am an older gay couple.  I know that Atlantis I s great for all ages but I think I've lived past my tea dance pool side drinking days.   Do get me wrong I do enjoy hot shirtless sweaty men dance but I refuse to spend 1000+ for airfares to to on an over crowded ship full of way to much alcohol or iml type cabin parties. 

We have greatly enjoyed rccl and recently celebrity.    I haven't had any issues with us being gay on any ship.   

If you want exclusive gsy cruises or group try vacaya. I think that's the name.    I choose cruises more on where they are going.  However I do you my fraternity recruitment skills to set up meetings for before and after cruises and even during shore excursion.   A college bud on my husband took us around Ketchikan.  A park range I met on manhunt showed be q little of Denali np.   A fraternity brother went to lunch with us in Vancouver. 

You might want to consider a cruise that starts in Boston and hit ptown before or after.  

6 hours ago, bundi356 said:

vacaya

This seems to be the common thread here. A lot of folks have also recommended it.

I'm wondering if you could comment on your experience on Celebrity as a gay couple? I've read good things about Celebrity and the atmosphere on board.

Not a couple, but I only have great things to say about Celebrity, notscb.

I've done quite a few Atlantis and RSVP cruises (I'm booked on another Atlantis cruise in October). I've posted elsewhere about why I like all-gay cruises. Just wanted to comment on the idea that Atlantis is one-sided in its marketing. I've actually talked to them about that. Their response? Pictures of hot guys in bikinis sell better. I totally get how someone could find the images intimidating, and fear that they would be out of place on an Atlantis cruise -but the reality is that there are more of "us" than "them" aboard. At least on the cruises I've done with them (Mexico, Alaska, Baltic). 

I'm always in bed by eleven, and often earlier. Never had a problem with noise or disturbances of any kind. I don't drink or do drugs, and while there were -perhaps- more people walking around buzzed than on other cruises, it was never a problem. For the most part, passengers on the Atlantis cruises are FAR better behaved than on many straight cruises I've been on.

I've seen the tell-tale videos of craziness at the parties, but I've never seen it first hand. No one flashing their privates or engaging in sex on deck. I suppose it happens -but I guess you have to look for it. My only complaint about those deck parties is that the music is much too loud. Ear-damaging loud.

Traveling on an all-gay cruise often entails a bit of compromise. There just aren't that many of them to choose from. You may have to fly, or go on a ship/line you're not thrilled with, or sail to ports you've seen before or have no interest in. And then you have to match a cruise to your available vacation dates... The trade-off is the all-gay environment, and that's what makes it worth it for me. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, fshepinc said:

Just wanted to comment on the idea that Atlantis is one-sided in its marketing. I've actually talked to them about that. Their response? Pictures of hot guys in bikinis sell better. I totally get how someone could find the images intimidating, and fear that they would be out of place on an Atlantis cruise -but the reality is that there are more of "us" than "them" aboard. At least on the cruises I've done with them (Mexico, Alaska, Baltic). 

Reality is sex sells.   From my experience, there are all body types on board gay charters and I agree "more "us" than "them"".  Even Vacaya, which has tried to position themselves to be a more inclusive and "anti-Atlantis" gay charter company has skewed more towards cute young athletic types in their advertisements instead of reflecting their actual clientele.  On "straight" cruises, outside of Carnival, you hardly ever see the average guy/gal hanging out onboard in their advertisements either.  Just lots of "pretty" people. 

In regards to Celebrity, as can be seen in my signature, they are mostly who I have cruised with, though only on charters.  I have never experienced anything negative based on the fact that we are a gay couple. I would not hesitate to take a cruise on Celebrity regardless of whether it is a charter or not.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 7:38 PM, notscb said:

This seems to be the common thread here. A lot of folks have also recommended it.

I'm wondering if you could comment on your experience on Celebrity as a gay couple? I've read good things about Celebrity and the atmosphere on board.

We have done three cruises on Celebrity: one a regular repo and two Vacaya charters. We had a good time on both. On the repo there were a good number of gay guys on board and every night the Martini Bar became a gay bar!

We did an aquafest cruise several years ago.  It was a partial charter on a NCL ship (maybe 250-300 people).  Was alot of fun with nightly private events with coco peru and leslie jordan.  The mix was probably about 75% men, 25% women.  Seemed the age range was solidly mid 30s to 60s.  Dont know if that demographic is typical because we only did one.  But, we would totally do another aquafest event - dates just havent worked out.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:09 PM, mast3rn8 said:

While I've not tried them yet, OUTbound does smaller, more intimate trips that look like a lot of fun - without the intensity that Atlantis has.

This looks super interesting! Smaller ship stuff is really a niche in this discussion that's missing. Thanks for the recommendation!

On 8/15/2022 at 10:11 PM, Boytjie said:

night the Martini Bar became a gay bar!

That sounds like an excellent time 🙂 It seems like Celebrity is the line of choice for many LGBT+ cruisers. Maybe it's just because Celebrity offers an upscale experience?

4 hours ago, notscb said:

That sounds like an excellent time 🙂 It seems like Celebrity is the line of choice for many LGBT+ cruisers. Maybe it's just because Celebrity offers an upscale experience?

We did a HAL cruise in Alaska last year and there were a significant number of LGBTQ folk onboard; it did not have the Martini Bar atmosphere, though. We met a couple of people at the first night's get together and had drinks a couple of night and also dinner afterwards. It was much more laid back cruise than the repositioning cruise on the Summit (and the ship was a lot emptier!)

• 1 month later...

I have been on two Atlantis cruises and one RSVP years ago. At my age I much prefer gay groups on regular cruises. I have cruised with Aquafest and am trying MIM travel next year. It's just not as intense as all gay cruises.

21 hours ago, MHD50 said:

Aquafest and am trying MIM

Ah, I've never heard of those! This thread has been really helpful to exploring different options. I really don't think the Atlantis experience is truly 100% what they market it to be, but it's nice to see other options that are a bit more realistic and inclusive in their marketing efforts to to the community.