Looking for Info on Zaandam

crusin'k

Hubbie and I are considering doing a 73-day Grand South America cruise aboard the Zaandam in Oct-Dec, 2023.  We were on the Zaandam in 2000 (that's right, 22 years ago) and really enjoyed her then.  Can anyone offer recent info and experiences about the Zaandam? Condition of the ship, food, etc.  We don't sail HAL much anymore but are so excited about the itinerary of this cruise.

Thank you so much. 

We did an Alaska cruise on her in 2017. Not exactly recent but newer than 2000 LOL!

We had a great time. I remember the ship was well-maintained and comfortable. It was our first HAL cruise and we've had many more since then. Definitely a smaller ship with fewer venues and entertainment options, but I expect you knew that. Food was top notch like on all HAL ships.

• Thanks 1

There is a Voyage of the Vikings blog, typically on the first page here outlining the current sailing from BOS to northern Europe, Ireland and back to BOS.   You will probably get the most up-to-date info right there.  I've been following it myself, as my spouse and I will be boarding the same ship in August.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was on the Zaandam this month.  I did a live from thread.  The ship and crew were excellent.  While the food was good but lacked variety.  This could be related to supply chain issues .   I’m booked on the ship next year and have no concerns about sailing on her again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Was last on the Zaandam in 2018 for 14 days, with a family group of 9 total. Everyone LOVED the trip (Alaskan Explorer) both off and on the ship. I think the best-liked venue was the piano bar, although a few of us also made every performance of classical music. 

ETA: of course this was pre-pandemic. We all liked the food in MDR. We did have meals in Pinnacle Grill and I think Canaletto. When I pointed out a Seabourne or Oceania ship at Victoria as a "luxury cruise", my step-mom said, what could be more luxurious than OUR ship!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, aeraen said:

There is a Voyage of the Vikings blog, typically on the first page here outlining the current sailing from BOS to northern Europe, Ireland and back to BOS.   You will probably get the most up-to-date info right there.  I've been following it myself, as my spouse and I will be boarding the same ship in August.  

Thanks for the info.  Very Helpful.

14 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I was on the Zaandam this month.  I did a live from thread.  The ship and crew were excellent.  While the food was good but lacked variety.  This could be related to supply chain issues .   I’m booked on the ship next year and have no concerns about sailing on her again.

Thanks.  Will find that and read it

Remember, the Z is 22 yr old. While she was in dry dock in early Spring, new carpet installed throughout ship.( Not the cabins) New chairs in dining rm. Flat screen TV’s on order. WiFi is hit or miss. If most are off for the day, WiFi is fine but who stays on board besides the crew? Bathrooms need updating but are OK. 

Ate in dining room this past weekend & menu the same as when we boarded on 7/9. We tend to eat in the lido more. 

Crew is fantastic & will do anything for you. Sheets changed once a week….that’s more than what I do at home. 

Stay calm & cruise on!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I agree, the food selection on Zaandam and my other two cruises was limited compared to the heyday.  But all in all the ship was in very good repair 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I agree, the food selection on Zaandam and my other two cruises was limited compared to the heyday.  But all in all the ship was in very good repair 

The Grand cruises have larger food budgets and typically don't repeat the menus (although some dishes may be repeated. I would not judge the food on a Grand cruise by the food on a normal cruise. I've found the food to be excellent on the Grand Asia and Grand World voyages I've taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

The Grand cruises have larger food budgets and typically don't repeat the menus (although some dishes may be repeated. I would not judge the food on a Grand cruise by the food on a normal cruise. I've found the food to be excellent on the Grand Asia and Grand World voyages I've taken.

I am speaking of this year’s cruises.   I have found the menu to be very repetitive especially the lido.   We are big vegetable eaters, not vegetarians but consume a lot of veggies.  We were getting a little tired of carrots, cauliflower and white potatoes 😊

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am speaking of this year’s cruises.   I have found the menu to be very repetitive especially the lido.   We are big vegetable eaters, not vegetarians but consume a lot of veggies.  We were getting a little tired of carrots, cauliflower and white potatoes 😊

Nonetheless, she is asking about a Grand cruise and I was giving her information about it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

We were getting a little tired of carrots, cauliflower and white potatoes 😊

What!  No green beans?  🤣  Once upon a time, I could almost always be sure that a few green beans would show up on my dinner plate.  Cauliflower would have been a welcome change for me.  😀

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What!  No green beans?  🤣  Once upon a time, I could almost always be sure that a few green beans would show up on my dinner plate.  Cauliflower would have been a welcome change for me.  😀

Our joke was there going to be anything green on our plate. I was getting double helpings of Caesar just for the greens, it was such a hardship. 🤣

Edited by Mary229
  • Haha 1