Complimentary gratuities from Oceania and travel agent

SophieM

Has anyone receiving complimentary prepaid gratuities from Oceania also had an offer from a travel agency that included gratuities as a perk? If so, how did that work?

Thanks much!

Jane

9 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Has anyone receiving complimentary prepaid gratuities from Oceania also had an offer from a travel agency that included gratuities as a perk? If so, how did that work?

Thanks much!

Jane

Not unusual.

If you have high enough O Club status to get comp gratuities and TA will pay your gratuities from an incentive source NOT coming from their O commission, take the TA gratuities and O will give you $250 SBC credit for the cabin “in lieu of O Club gratuities.”

You can tell if the TA is covering gratuities with incentive $ because you’ll see “OCAPP” and their Agency and/or Consortium name next to the provided gratuity amount(s) in “amenities” section on your Oceania invoice. OCAPP $ are $ provided to TAs by O to use as booking incentives.

You could also get the $250 “in lieu” if the TA covers the gratuities from their commission as a purchased gift. But, that is not preferable since the TA may then reduce the amount of any commission sharing they do for you (as added reimbursable SBC or a $ rebate.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not unusual.

If you have high enough O Club status to get comp gratuities and TA will pay your gratuities from an incentive source NOT coming from their O commission, take the TA gratuities and O will give you $250 SBC credit for the cabin “in lieu of O Club gratuities.”

You can tell if the TA is covering gratuities with incentive $ because you’ll see “OCAPP” and their Agency and/or Consortium name next to the provided gratuity amount(s) in “amenities” section on your Oceania invoice. OCAPP $ are $ provided to TAs by O to use as booking incentives.

You could also get the $250 “in lieu” if the TA covers the gratuities from their commission as a purchased gift. But, that is not preferable since the TA may then reduce the amount of any commission sharing they do for you (as added reimbursable SBC or a $ rebate.

Have really learned a lot from you over the years.  Re:  OCAPP -- did a web search for acronym -- found a PDF from O describing the program.  Doc was from Sept 2016, offering PPG for select 2017 and 2018 sailings, based on agency profile and consortium affiliation.  ( In another of your posts, you explained agency consortiums -- thank you).  Assuming the program has been extended, as you have detailed the wording on O invoice.

Edited by FetaCheese

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Have really learned a lot from you over the years.  Re:  OCAPP -- did a web search for acronym -- found a PDF from O describing the program.  Doc was from Sept 2016, offering PPG for select 2017 and 2018 sailings, based on agency profile and consortium affiliation.  ( In another of your posts, you explained agency consortiums -- thank you).  Assuming the program has been extended, as you have detailed the wording on O invoice.

It still exists. I’ve got invoices for four of five future cruises with OCAPP on them.

Travel Agents reward their Clients in many fashions.Some like FF only want to sit down and agree upon cash rebates after a Cruise. Some of us are likewise happy when our TA comps our Privee reservations and our Dom Perignon La Reserve evening. Claims that one is better than another is simply a matter of opinion.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Travel Agents reward their Clients in many fashions.Some like FF only want to sit down and agree upon cash rebates after a Cruise. Some of us are likewise happy when our TA comps our Privee reservations and our Dom Perignon La Reserve evening. Claims that one is better than another is simply a matter of opinion.

Try answering the actual OP question rather than making yet another uninformed/erroneous comment about what you think others here on CC may or may not prefer/pursue in their TA relationships.

In any case, TA amenities all boil down to qualitative/quantitative value. And knowing “who/how” compensation/resources work can be a major factor in helping the OP on this thread decide what’s best for him/her from a complete menu of possibilities.

Thanks, all, for your answers, some of which did answer my question, but even the other ones were illuminating.  Must admit that I was hoping for the full value of both the O gratuities and that from one of the agencies we use through their consortium. Now I just have to do the math to see which is our best offer. 

I really do appreciate the responses and, like FetaCheese, I’ve learned a lot from this board. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SophieM said:

Thanks, all, for your answers, some of which did answer my question, but even the other ones were illuminating.  Must admit that I was hoping for the full value of both the O gratuities and that from one of the agencies we use through their consortium. Now I just have to do the math to see which is our best offer. 

I really do appreciate the responses and, like FetaCheese, I’ve learned a lot from this board. 

There appears to be a common thread in more recent Oceania policies regarding the $ value of their items provided to a passenger.

Whether we like it or not, that common thread is a corporate dislike for anything that O interprets as “double dipping” a discount or amenity.

As ORV pointed out above: years ago, you could opt for TA gratuities and get the full value of the O Club gratuities amenity as SBC. If I remember correctly, the first modification of that was a varying amount of “in lieu” SBC depending on the specific cruise. But, in recent years, it appears that the “in lieu” has settled in on $125 per person (at least for single segments and published “extended journeys”).