WiFi on the Magic

Dkconnor

We've determined we need wifi for our upcoming cruise primarily for imessage communication with a friend/spouse who is very ill.  Not interested in streaming, video chat etc.  Will the Social level be sufficient?  We'll be on the Magic.  Thanks! 

YMMV but on my most recent Sunshine cruise, iMessage worked for texting even without purchasing a plan. I couldn't get photos to send or anything but I could send and receive iMessage texts all cruise for free. I have no idea if this is fleet-wide or what.

I just got off the Magic and also paid for the premium plan.  It was horrible.  I requested and received a refund.

My wife and I also each paid $5 to be able to message each other via the Carnival Hub app and that was spotty as well.  I'd see her in person and she'd ask why I wasn't responding to any of her messages, and I'd tell her I didn't get any.  She'd show me her phone which would half a dozen messages as sent, and I'd show her my phone which didn't show a single one received.

I was on the Magic in June with the value plan, it too was horrible with spotty coverage around the ship. I also found some areas of the ship that had no WIFI connection. When the WIFI connection drops it also effected the hub app too

there is something wrong with the magic wifi system

Carnival seems to be a decade behind their competitors when it comes to wifi. Like it or not people expect usable internet on vacation these days. The technology exists but Carnival isn't deploying it.

Thanks, everyone.  I guess we will purchase the Value plan and see what happens.  I generally lock my phone up in the safe and leave it there while cruising, but with a very ill friend, we feel the necessity to stay connected.  Appreciate all you input!  

19 hours ago, Dkconnor said:

Thanks, everyone.  I guess we will purchase the Value plan and see what happens.  I generally lock my phone up in the safe and leave it there while cruising, but with a very ill friend, we feel the necessity to stay connected.  Appreciate all you input!  

Sorry to hear you have a very ill friend.

Why go if you have so much concerns?? I would just get my money back if I could not enjoy my cruise. But some have money to throw away!!!!!!!!!!! 

Not to be rude............. But how much are you a friend going on vacation and leave  a very ill friend to think about your friendship!!

1 hour ago, Bernardo62 said:

Why go if you have so much concerns?? I would just get my money back if I could not enjoy my cruise. But some have money to throw away!!!!!!!!!!! 

Not to be rude............. But how much are you a friend going on vacation and leave  a very ill friend to think about your friendship!!

Your point is that you enjoy making people feel guilty.

What's gonna happen is gonna happen...and OP sitting vigil won't affect "what happens" that week.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bernardo62 said:

Well if that isn't "none of your business" I don't know what is!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Your point is that you enjoy making people feel guilty.

What's gonna happen is gonna happen...and OP sitting vigil won't affect "what happens" that week.

I didn't put my business on a post!! 

Just putting a twist on it ...... I'm thinking of the friend.