Prague to Budapest Extension on VIking

mbtabby

We are considering a pre-cruise package in Prague prior to departing our Viking cruise in Budapest.  Has anyone booked this pre cruise tour and if so, does Viking bus their passengers to Budapest and how long is the journey?

Thanks

1 hour ago, mbtabby said:

We are considering a pre-cruise package in Prague prior to departing our Viking cruise in Budapest.  Has anyone booked this pre cruise tour and if so, does Viking bus their passengers to Budapest and how long is the journey?

Thanks

You may want to ask on the river cruises forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/

19 hours ago, mbtabby said:

Thanks

Just wanted to give you some encouragement to go to Prague.  We recently spent a week in Prague and everything about that city is fantastic.  We have traveled all over Europe for decades, but Prague is our #2 favorite city (Paris is #1).

Hank

We have not taken the tour and I don't know if they use a bus.  We have driven a rental from Prague to Budapest.   It is 5 or 6 hours (we stopped along the way).  About the same distance as driving from SF Bay Area to Los Angeles, (but the roads are much better). 

X3 on visiting Prague.  It is a great city.   

38 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Do it yourself.  Booking a great hotel in Prague is easy and local tours are excellent.  Then take the train between the cities.  Fun, easy and comfortable.

As a long time (over 50 years) avid independent traveler I could not agree more.  But when I post the suggestion that folks ignore cruise line and river cruise line pre-post cruise packages (which are always vastly overpriced) many disagree of even flame the poster (me).  As a general rule, doing it on your own will cost about half (using the same hotels) as the cruise line's packages.  But the better part of doing it on your own is that you can choose your own hotel!  So, for example, in the case of Prague we know of an amazing small (boutique) hotel that blows away nearly all the competition.   Someday we will go back to Prague partially so we can return to this small hotel and again interact with the amazing owner (hi Frank).   

But there is a downside to DIY and it is your luggage.  When you DIY you need the ability to handle your own luggage and some folks cannot do this because of physical limitations.  You also do not have a tour representative to hold your hand...so you are truly on your own.  We see that as a big advantage but others may have a different point of view.  But when we DIY you will never find us standing around an airport or hotel waiting or trying to find our "included transfers."  In many cases we simply grab a taxi or Uber (no waiting for other folks) and sometimes (such as in Venice) use public transport.

I will again say that Prague is simply an amazing city for any tourist (especially those who enjoy walking).   I would add that Budapest is also an interesting city for a multi--day visit.  If you are in Budapest and want to do something really strange and fun, go spend a few hours at one of the famous Bath Houses.  DW and I once spent an afternoon at the well-known Szechenyi Baths and to say it was a real "hoot" is an understatement.  DW still roars when she recalls dealing with the attendant in the Ladies (they do not use other pronouns) Locker Room.  

Hank