Invergordon vs Orkney Islands

We are looking at the Regal Princess British Isles cruises in 2023.  My question is in trying to decide between an  itinerary where the ship stops in Invergordon Vs one that stops at the Orkney Islands.  Does anyone have a preference between the two as which is a better stop for our bucket list visit to the area?  This cruise was cancelled twice and going for a third try…it’s a charm right?  And we want the most charming itinerary!😊. Thanks!

Actually the British Isles cruise from NCL that I am on this Sept stops at both ports. Even for next year.

10 PORTS OF CALL
  • Amsterdam,Netherlands
  • Brussels / Bruges (Zeebrugge),Belgium
  • Edinburgh (Newhaven),Scotland
  • Inverness (Invergordon),Scotland
  • Kirkwall,Orkney Isles
  • Belfast,Northern Ireland
  • Dublin (Dun Laoghaire),Ireland
  • Cork (Cobh),Ireland
  • Portland,England
  • London (Southampton),England

Edited by ISLABONITA

Invergordon is certainly the simpler of the two, and offers a wider range of tours.

It has two cruise berths, and altho the town itself has nothing of interest to visitors, as a base there's a  range of scenic tours.

Simplest, just a 30 minute drive away, is Inverness. And just 15 minutes beyond, is Culloden Moor, the final battle which in 1746 put an end to the Jacobite Rebellion.

Most extensive for a port-of-call day would be either.....

a circular road trip from east coast to west coast alongside a number of lochs to the Kyle of Lochalsh, then west to east  past Eileen Donan Castle, hills & lochs to Loch Ness and turning north to run alongside Loch Ness past Urquhart Castle and back to Invergordon. That's driving time of 4 to 4 1/2 hours, almost all scenic, and would allow another 90 - 120 minutes for a visit to Urquhart Castle and a number of photo-stops.

https://goo.gl/maps/uznZ1UnLvxGTA2Uz6

Or 3 1/2 drive-time for a circular tour taking in the foothills of the Grampian Mountains and the famous Speyside  whisky distilleries, and time for short diversions to Culloden Moor and a number of castles/fortified country houses.

Or for something simpler, John o'Groats is about 2hrs 15 mins (e/w) to the north or Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness is about an hour (e/w) south. 

And many more road-tour options.

Roads mainly have very little traffic.

I've only seen the Orkneys from the mainland and know nothing about them, but I do wonder whether the scenery is a little more sparse and the places to visit quite limited.

Hopefully others will contribute to tell me the error of my presumptions 😉 

JB 🙂

For our British Isles cruise in 2019, the Crown Princess stopped at both.

We selected the itinerary for Kirkwall (could have selected Liverpool that would have been another 'city' stop although good) because my husband is interested in all things Viking. Did an excellent (bespoke) small group tour with My Orkney Tours that included Brogdar, Skara Brae, Maeshowe and the Chapel.

For Invergordon with booked Happy Tours, A Taste of the Highlands/w Inverness (mainly Highlands).

Depends on your interests.

• Like 1

My husband and I have had both of those ports on our British Isles itinerary and we had fantastic tours in both.  In Kirkwall (Orkney) we booked a private tour with Lorna Brown of See Orkney Tours.  We had a full day touring with her daughter Carrie and saw the best of what that area has to offer.  We are using the same tour company when we visit Kirkwall again in 2023.  For our stop in Invergordon, we again did a private tour with  Gordon at info@highlandtours.info - the name of the tour was Quintessential Scottish Highland Day Tour and we couldn't have been happier with our guide and itinerary.  The highlight for us was the falconry show at Dunrobin Castle - be sure to get there early and get seats in the front row.  Also be on deck at sailaway and you might spot bottlenose dolphins.

Hope this helps.

Barb

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

Invergordon is certainly the simpler of the two, and offers a wider range of tours.

It has two cruise berths, and altho the town itself has nothing of interest to visitors, as a base there's a  range of scenic tours.

Simplest, just a 30 minute drive away, is Inverness. And just 15 minutes beyond, is Culloden Moor, the final battle which in 1746 put an end to the Jacobite Rebellion.

a circular road trip from east coast to west coast alongside a number of lochs to the Kyle of Lochalsh, then west to east  past Eileen Donan Castle, hills & lochs to Loch Ness and turning north to run alongside Loch Ness past Urquhart Castle and back to Invergordon. That's driving time of 4 to 4 1/2 hours, almost all scenic, and would allow another 90 - 120 minutes for a visit to Urquhart Castle and a number of photo-stops.

Or 3 1/2 drive-time for a circular tour taking in the foothills of the Grampian Mountains and the famous Speyside  whisky distilleries, and time for short diversions to Culloden Moor and a number of castles/fortified country houses.

Or for something simpler, John o'Groats is about 2hrs 15 mins (e/w) to the north or Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness is about an hour (e/w) south. 

I've only seen the Orkneys from the mainland and know nothing about them, but I do wonder whether the scenery is a little more sparse and the places to visit quite limited.

JB 🙂

Thanks for your reply and information! 

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂