Chef's Table

dolphin lady

26 minutes ago, dolphin lady said:

This is my first time on a Holland American Cruise. The ship is Statedam and was wondering if they have a Chef's Table night? I've been on other cruises that have had them. My husband & I always enjoyed them.

Been on Statendam for the last 16 days...haven't heard of any such item. They have a number of extra charge specialty dinner events,  tho. You could be thinking of those.

HAL used to have a Chef’s Table on cruises of over 10 or 12 days (my memory is short).  It was never publicized - you had to ask about it to reserve and it was always sold out.

All of a sudden when I asked I got a puzzled look.  I still ask when I get on board in case - but it seems to be gone.  When I spoke to someone “in the know” on board they said their special dinners were being re-evaluated (2019).  I haven’t sailed since covid - had lots of cancellations & switched ship but not sailed.  Will be in November - it’s definitely a long enough cruise and if it is offered, I will report.

But, sadly, I think it is gone.

On most of the HAL cruises on which I have sailed, there are special dinners that are titled by a variety of names.  They are a gastronomic excess for this senior citizen, but, didn't once were.  Always, they were enjoyable, informative, with excellent dining companions with lively, interesting conversation.  Well worth the cost of the experience when one is still able to indulge in such an experience.  

6 hours ago, iceman93 said:

I'm on the same cruise as @CruiserBruce; they've had several special dinners (Cellar Master, Pinnacle Gala, 2xRijstaeffel) but nothing called a chef's table.

The Chef’s table is totally different than the other specialty dinner offered.  It is a very small group 12-18 people and an incredible experience with the Cellar Master, Chef and a multitude of attendants to take care of you to name a few.

It was NEVER published nor advertised.  You had to ask.  I was sad to see it go.  The crystal, the flowers, table setting and service were exquisite and the food was as well always.  I miss it.  It was well worth the price and experience.

I have a bad feeling that the Pinnacle Gala has replaced it.  There is no comparison.

• Like 1

Welcome!

Memories of specific “”Chef’s Table” dinners remind me of Princess and Cunard trips of the past ( you needed to sign up quickly on embarkation day or they would be gone, reservation-wise).

Many moon ago, if I recall, Chef Table dinners were available on HAL without the appetizers & tour of the kitchen, like Princess, but in a small room near the MDR.

With that said, HAL created the PG (and the Canaletto sometime later) and specialty/ so-called Chef’s dinners are:/ were pretty much held at the PG.

New names were Cellar Master dinners, Visiting Chef dinners (we’re talking longer voyages here), Mystery dinners (& lunches) Sommelier Tasting dinners, etc.

As time progressed, Rudi seafood special dinners “popped up” and became a specific venue as did the Tamaraud (sp?) dinners.

I’m probably missing a dining venue ( we haven’t been on the newer, larger ships), but I’ll think you’ll find good food regardless of specialty dinner naming.

I can only suggest that, if time permits, during embarkation day, you go to the PG, speak with the manager, & sign up for all specialty dining adventures available during your cruise. You will not see the dinners available on the web site and the dinner reservations are always cancellable if cancelled with a day or so.

Bon Appetite!

Be well.

Bob

• Like 2