Same Category, Different Price booked within same hours…?? Promo codes?

movinout

2 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

We happened to get offered a decreased fare when looking on Princess online when logged in.

Even the TA we were talking to could not access that fare.

I agree with everyone suggesting that the OP's friends likely had a targeted promo fare code (Uxx) associated with their profiles.  However, I disagree with the above.  Anything that is eligible for a guest a TA can book.  The TA is either inexperienced or wasn't looking correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, movinout said:

Can anyone shed light on this?
 Thanks and I hope this makes sense!

I had that situation on a booked cruise, Caribbean Princess, Aug 31/22, 10 day, New York-Quebec City. Without signing into Princess, I got a lower price (dollars only) than when I was signed into my account.  I questioned a Princess rep. and she was able to locate the price but it was for new bookings only.

Twice this happened, so I would make the new booking, cancel the old one and have the deposits transferred to the new booking.  A bit of work for Princess, but they would not apply the lower price to my existing booking.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances we had to cancel the cruise and use the Cruise with Confidence option.

10 hours ago, vikkiw said:

I was searching for pricing (Mini-Suite, Premier Package) and it was coming up as $11K+. I searched again the next day and it was $8K. I immediately booked it. I didn't wait for a PVP. The next day, the same category (the room next to the one I booked) was back up to $11K.

I think i just "got lucky" with being online at the right time.

And that could fully explain what happened with the OP's friends.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who gave their help and suggestions.  We called Princess again and talked w another CVP..who so nicely checked our profile and spoke with a supervisor.  Bingo!  They rebooked us with a couple of discount offers they found in our profile, so we got an even better offer, reduced deposit and same small but welcome shipboard credit.  Perhaps persistence paid in this instance and we are very satisfied w the treatment we received today.    Politeness when inquiring went a long way too!   Yay Princess!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ken_ll said:

I had that situation on a booked cruise, Caribbean Princess, Aug 31/22, 10 day, New York-Quebec City. Without signing into Princess, I got a lower price (dollars only) than when I was signed into my account.  I questioned a Princess rep. and she was able to locate the price but it was for new bookings only.

Twice this happened, so I would make the new booking, cancel the old one and have the deposits transferred to the new booking.  A bit of work for Princess, but they would not apply the lower price to my existing booking.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances we had to cancel the cruise and use the Cruise with Confidence option.

I have friends on this sailing, Caribbean Princess, August 31, 2022. I can also confirm the same situation where some past passengers were ‘targeted’ with a really good low fare. These friends have traveled together before, so they did the passenger booking  swap thing, so all cabins got the great fare, so Princess is still doing target marketing to certain past passengers and the answer to the OP’s original query would be, Princess has offered certain passengers a promo and unfortunately, you were not included.

As Canada has some of the highest airfare taxes, some of the friends waited and Princess did reduce the return sailing back to New York, so they are doing B2B and total airfare wound up less since roundtrip NY flights were less than doing the 2 one ways, one to NY and a return from Quebec. 

@movinout, good to hear you were able to get an even better offer, but you would think, the ‘system’ should automatically apply any ‘offers’ or ‘promos’ when you search on Princess and return the lowest fare you are entitled. Nice to hear it worked out.

• Like 2