Northern Europe 2024 wonderings

An Oasis class being based in the UK for an entire season isn't going to happen, our climiate just doesn't suit it. Sure we've had Oasis class ships in Southampton for short periods, but it was usually for promotional purposes (I enjoyed a nice B2B2B on Harmony when she launched). Same deal with Icon next year I suspect - a few trips from Southampton at best then over the Atlantic to never be seen again.

Best we can hope for is an upgrade to a Quantum Ultra class (Spectrum/Odyssey) for 2024. There's also a chance we'll get an Icon class 2025/6 as Icon2 & 3 launch but that really depends on the design for all the same reasons why we won't get an Oasis class.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Even if they sent Quantum or Ovation, at least it would be different shows and different decor!! 
Or Odyssey or Spectrum. Mix it up a bit.

But please not Independence ( as I definitely couldn’t watch Grease again!)

Oasis is not good option because of the weather.
But if Mr B is true to his word then we are getting Icon ( probably for one cruise only!)  

Southampton isn't very efficient to embark 6000 passengers is another reason you may only see Icon for a couple voyages. 

1 hour ago, beardedladies said:

An Oasis class being based in the UK for an entire season isn't going to happen, our climiate just doesn't suit it. Sure we've had Oasis class ships in Southampton for short periods, but it was usually for promotional purposes (I enjoyed a nice B2B2B on Harmony when she launched). Same deal with Icon next year I suspect - a few trips from Southampton at best then over the Atlantic to never be seen again.

Best we can hope for is an upgrade to a Quantum Ultra class (Spectrum/Odyssey) for 2024. There's also a chance we'll get an Icon class 2025/6 as Icon2 & 3 launch but that really depends on the design for all the same reasons why we won't get an Oasis class.

Any local discussions on enlarging the terminal

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

No, I don't think we got tired of it, we didn't like what Royal had done to it and what it had become.

Specifically: The introduction of c100 new cabins (and loss of general space); the introduction of Playmakers  (AKA Cirrhosis of the Seas) to satisfy those that looked upon a drinks package as less of an opportunity and more of a challenge; the removal of the Concierge Lounge; the transformation of the card room to make the Suite Lounge.

The ONLY thing I liked was the move of the library to the former Connoisseur Club.

Regards,

Cublet

You know what's funny, I kinda remember mention of a poll of UK residents on how to improve Indy prior to that refurb

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

And it was a cluster😉

The terminal can't handle the passenger load

From a newspaper article  at the time, they increased  passengers  capacity  in the terminal  for the ship

Screenshot_20220804-093557_Chrome.jpg

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure Freedom was in Pt Canaveral 10+ 

Ah yes but you have soooo many choices in Florida, let alone other ports in USA.  Just think if Royal had just one ship in Florida just for six months of the year. 

Much as I like Anthem, it would be mix it up a bit

4 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I read that as one trade event sailing out of Southampton and then it’ll head for warmer places. 

Me too, even if they do a handful of pax sailings they will be mega expensive . Oh well I guess we can go down and hang out on the Solent and dream when she visits 

48 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Any local discussions on enlarging the terminal

New terminal, but looks like it's aimed at MSC and Norwegian. 

Up to 6000 can be handled in new terminal and is aimed at the bigger ships.

Maybe gives other cruise lines opportunity to take a bigger slice of the lucrative UK market

https://marineindustrynews.co.uk/southamptons-new-cruise-terminal-receives-first-vessel/

Edited by sgmn
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Ah yes but you have soooo many choices in Florida, let alone other ports in USA.  Just think if Royal had just one ship in Florida just for six months of the year. 

Much as I like Anthem, it would be mix it up a bit

I'd honestly take Oasis every chance I could. Do like Odyssey, though.

And once you leave FL, the other ports are further from us than you are from many of Europes nice ports 

Edited by John&LaLa

40 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You know what's funny, I kinda remember mention of a poll of UK residents on how to improve Indy prior to that refurb

Sure extra cabins and loss of common pax space wasn't top of the poll.

Having said that I would be happy to cruise on her again and love Grease

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

No, I don't think we got tired of it, we didn't like what Royal had done to it and what it had become.

Specifically: The introduction of c100 new cabins (and loss of general space); the introduction of Playmakers  (AKA Cirrhosis of the Seas) to satisfy those that looked upon a drinks package as less of an opportunity and more of a challenge; the removal of the Concierge Lounge; the transformation of the card room to make the Suite Lounge.

The ONLY thing I liked was the move of the library to the former Connoisseur Club.

Regards,

Cublet

oh okay I was not aware of the upgrades just that with every new release, there was Indy back in UK just like now the Anthem