Covid positive on boat

oracer

Hypothetically if you leave Saturday on a 7 day cruise and start feeling sick on Sunday night, you take a test and are positive. Do you have to leave say a balcony room and transfer to another part of the ship?  Then you are quarantined in that new room and can not leave until Saturday. Do you get any refund on the cruise in FCC?  Say you don't have travel insurance. Just trying to understand worst case scenario. 

My experience was being moved to another balcony.  I had the NCL Essentials insurance, which doesn't cover trip interruption, but NCL had me go through AON anyway.  Once I got the denial, they refunded me for the days I was in isolation.  This was back in January.  Not sure if they've changed anything since then.

I was refunded for the days I was in isolation, so just a partial refund.  It went back to the credit card with which I paid for the cruise.  I'm not sure if FCC was an option.  I was very clear on the form you linked above and in my subsequent emails I wanted a refund.

2 hours ago, oracer said:

Hypothetically if you leave Saturday on a 7 day cruise and start feeling sick on Sunday night, you take a test and are positive. Do you have to leave say a balcony room and transfer to another part of the ship?  Then you are quarantined in that new room and can not leave until Saturday. Do you get any refund on the cruise in FCC?  Say you don't have travel insurance. Just trying to understand worst case scenario. 

Millions and Millions of happy passengers have cruised since the restart. And a very, very, very small number have been affected by covid. The best advice is to stop obsessing about covid and enjoy your cruise. We will be on our 7th post-restart cruise this month and don't worry about "what ifs"

• Like 8

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Millions and Millions of happy passengers have cruised since the restart. And a very, very, very small number have been affected by covid. The best advice is to stop obsessing about covid and enjoy your cruise. We will be on our 7th post-restart cruise this month and don't worry about "what ifs"

Yet this post reads as if the OP is a current passenger and is debating reporting a positive test or not....

1 hour ago, Purple_Pig said:

Yet this post reads as if the OP is a current passenger and is debating reporting a positive test or not....

I  didn’t get that impression, but easy enough to check if you are concerned about that. I  think the OP is boarding Sunday………according to the OP’s posting history. 

Edited by milolii

On our 11 day cruise on the Star last month we noticed an increasing number of pax staring to wear masks while walking around toward the end of cruise …. then bam! There were reports on Roll call that some tested positive while on cruise and didn’t quarantine …. Looks like they didn’t report but started wearing masks to protect the others from themselves. 

We already had Covid (Joy in March) and luckily escaped it on the Star. We wore masks on all flights - out and back. 

Edited by bluesea777

20 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That may be, but I think this is a very valid question.  People who plan ahead are preventing themselves from having to be in "crisis management" mode if something unexpected happens. 

Cruising without a care or a "Plan B" and just not cruising at all are not the only two options.  Some people like to think things through so that at least they are mentally prepared for what could happen. (I mean they could wind up being one of the "very, very, very small number" of people who are affected.)

Maybe it's my perspective as a disabled person, but even in "normal" times I have to anticipate every possible scenario so that I am fully prepared for all scenarios (or maybe even realize that a particular trip is not for me.)  For example, one of my bucket list cruises was always the QM2 Transatlantic. I was fully ready to book until I started asking what people may have thought were unnecessary, doomsday questions.  However, that led to me finding out that there are several days in the middle of a transatlantic when medical airlift is impossible.  Unfortunately, with my condition, I cannot take that chance. Even though it is a very, very, very slim chance that I would need to need to be airlifted,  it's a chance I cannot take. I'm glad I asked!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

That may be, but I think this is a very valid question.  People who plan ahead are preventing themselves from having to be in "crisis management" mode if something unexpected happens. 

Cruising without a care or a "Plan B" and just not cruising at all are not the only two options.  Some people like to think things through so that at least they are mentally prepared for what could happen. (I mean they could wind up being one of the "very, very, very small number" of people who are affected.)

Maybe it's my perspective as a disabled person, but even in "normal" times I have to anticipate every possible scenario so that I am fully prepared for all scenarios (or maybe even realize that a particular trip is not for me.)  For example, one of my bucket list cruises was always the QM2 Transatlantic. I was fully ready to book until I started asking what people may have thought were unnecessary, doomsday questions.  However, that led to me finding out that there are several days in the middle of a transatlantic when medical airlift is impossible.  Unfortunately, with my condition, I cannot take that chance. Even though it is a very, very, very slim chance that I would need to need to be airlifted,  it's a chance I cannot take. I'm glad I asked!

I get it. Everyone has to assess risks and make decisions best for them. I'm old. Have mobility challenges - don't get around as easily any more. And have a long list of "pre-existing conditions" which made COVID a particularly threatening virus. But, I have always assessed the risks and made fully informed decisions based on the best information at the time. I sailed on Royal Caribbean's first North American restart cruise out of Nassau at a time where less than 10% of the Bahamian people had been vaccinated and medical facilities in the Bahamas were ill-equipped to handle COVID. And I sailed on NCL's first North American restart cruise to Alaska. And many since. 

BTW: If you ever change your mind about doing a TA, the QM2 would be a wonderful ocean liner (i.e., not a cruise ship) to do that on. We are "platinum" cruisers on Cunard and have sailed on the QM2 several times. We started "cruising" decades ago, doing TAs on the QE2 while she was still around. The luxury of the grill class on Cunard puts the Haven to shame. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

I get it. Everyone has to assess risks and make decisions best for them. I'm old. Have mobility challenges - don't get around as easily any more. And have a long list of "pre-existing conditions" which made COVID a particularly threatening virus. But, I have always assessed the risks and made fully informed decisions based on the best information at the time. I sailed on Royal Caribbean's first North American restart cruise out of Nassau at a time where less than 10% of the Bahamian people had been vaccinated and medical facilities in the Bahamas were ill-equipped to handle COVID. And I sailed on NCL's first North American restart cruise to Alaska. And many since. 

BTW: If you ever change your mind about doing a TA, the QM2 would be a wonderful ocean liner (i.e., not a cruise ship) to do that on. We are "platinum" cruisers on Cunard and have sailed on the QM2 several times. We started "cruising" decades ago, doing TAs on the QE2 while she was still around. The luxury of the grill class on Cunard puts the Haven to shame. 

QM2 is definitely still my dream! ❤️ I am not giving up! I have RA and am always hopeful for a remission (it's happened a few times over the years! 🤞)

I've cruised just twice since the pandemic.  I was gun shy going back because I had Covid on the Bliss in March 2020 (none of my 3 travelling companions got it,  so I guess I'm just lucky like that lol.)

I'm back at sea in October, but to Bermuda where vaccinations are still required.  I'm not sure how I'm gonna feel about cruising if vaccination requirements are lifted.

• Like 1

OP (me) gets on a ship this a Sunday.  I just plan for all options and knowledgeable to figure out what is best. But I think Bird said it best that I am going to have a great time regardless. 

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

I am following this post with interest, and indeed, I find the question valid.

I am also in the minority group, hence I try to gather as much knowledge beforehand.  I read the NCL guidelines, browsed the FAQs, indeed there are answers pertaining to pre-embarkation, but the answer to “if you test positive on the cruise ship” remained elusive.

Here’s what I found on the FAQ’s:

http://ncl-drupal6.ncl.com:9050/cruise-faq/what-are-isolation-quarantine-disembarkation-protocols-if-someone-were-test-positive-covid-19-wh

Edited by bellevuemountain
Typo in link.

23 hours ago, missnd said:

I was refunded for the days I was in isolation, so just a partial refund.  It went back to the credit card with which I paid for the cruise.  I'm not sure if FCC was an option.  I was very clear on the form you linked above and in my subsequent emails I wanted a refund.

I was just (released and flew home yesterday) isolated with COVID on my Iceland and Greenland trip on the Star. Did you have to submit something to your insurance before you can submit to NCL? I looked at my insurance (booked with NCL this time, normally I go independent) and it didn’t look like the policy would provide anything for being isolated.

16 minutes ago, lepidoptera said:

I was just (released and flew home yesterday) isolated with COVID on my Iceland and Greenland trip on the Star. Did you have to submit something to your insurance before you can submit to NCL? I looked at my insurance (booked with NCL this time, normally I go independent) and it didn’t look like the policy would provide anything for being isolated.

I first submitted the customer service form to NCL to request my refund and heard back about 30 days later with them telling me to submit the request to insurance - which I bought through NCL, but is with AON.  I filled out their form and submitted the document from the ship doctor stating my positive status and the date.  The forms were a little confusing, but the AON people were very helpful on the phone.  Once I got the letter from AON declining my claim because the NCL Essentials insurance doesn't cover trip interruption, I sent NCL the letter declining the claim and they provided the refund within a few days.  The whole process took almost 3 months.

10 minutes ago, missnd said:

I first submitted the customer service form to NCL to request my refund and heard back about 30 days later with them telling me to submit the request to insurance - which I bought through NCL, but is with AON.  I filled out their form and submitted the document from the ship doctor stating my positive status and the date.  The forms were a little confusing, but the AON people were very helpful on the phone.  Once I got the letter from AON declining my claim because the NCL Essentials insurance doesn't cover trip interruption, I sent NCL the letter declining the claim and they provided the refund within a few days.  The whole process took almost 3 months.

Thanks that is super helpful. So many hoops to jump through-I am in the process of submitting to my health insurance company for the paxlovid, so I can get denied and get the travel insurance to cover that.