Carry On Luggage Recommendations

berryvillebomber

On 8/9/2022 at 12:45 PM, Twitchly said:

Away really, really needs to bring back that bright red carryon.

So does anyone here own the Travelpro Platinum Elite 21” carryon? I keep hearing good things about it, but it’s expensive — and currently only available in black. 

The larger bag that I check is a Travelpro Max 5 Lite I got in Kohls.  The smaller bag is a Travelpro Platinum Magna 2 that I carry on that I got in a Travelpro Outlet in Florida.  It is "European" size. 

Last November after a Viking Med cruise at FCO I checked in with Iberia for a FCO to Madrid flight before my Mad to MIA flight.  The Iberia check in was taking EVERYONE'S carryon bag.  When it got to me I told the woman at the desk that I had a euro sized carry on which would fit in the overhead.  She let me keep it.

The ironic part of this is the plane was the same size that Southwest uses and could easily accommodate most carry ons in their overhead bins.

I love both bags and I can handle them myself along with a Travelpro under the seat personal sized bag that fits over the handles of my Magna 2. Yes, the Magna 2 is smaller than a "normal" size carryon.  It has compression straps in it and can handle all I need.

Just took them out of my closet for my upcoming Med cruise on Oceania.😁

20220811_085732.jpg

20220811_085939.jpg

14 hours ago, ohiojohn said:

We do very much Iike our Away Luggage.  You could say we went all in.

Tomorrow we leave for Reykjavik, then after 6 days we board Viking Mars.

CF91D3DE-22C2-4F9F-A3E5-89077732EEC8.jpeg

Haha, we didn't take that much on our world cruises.  Love the AWAY bags though.🥃

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, Jim Avery said:

If the OP is looking for carry on brand information I agree with Clay.  We have had AWAY large carryons for years and are amazed at what we can pack.  Best rollers available too.  Can't wait to stuff them again and head out...   First things first...

I totally agree; my wife and I both have Away carry-ons and have been very happy with them. Mine's about 4 years old now and is in perfect shape even after all the trips we've taken in the last 4 years. 

I'm a big believer in packing light, especially on ocean cruises where there are laundry facilities on almost every deck. My Away rolling bag has a backup battery in it for charging phones and iPads; I forgot all about it until the last trip, when I charged my phone while waiting for a flight.

The new Away 22" carryon expands as well, which is really nice.

• Like 2

I took the 10,000ma batteries out and carry them in my "man bag" (computer bag).  Each one will charge our phones 5 or so times.  Like you, mine is in perfect condition after many bangs and bumps.  Taking the batteries out gives me room for a couple more pairs of underwear....😱 🍹

Edited by Jim Avery

On 8/8/2022 at 6:32 PM, Clay Clayton said:

You may be right about the current restrictions being relaxed or maybe each airline is different. When we flew on TAP in business, they weighed our carryons and we had to check them. 

TAP is the ONLY airline that has ever given me a problem with the size of my carry-on on a return international flight! It was the exact same carry-on that I had used for the flight over, and that I have traveled with for years on various airlines  with no problem? I managed to “squeeze” it into their super small sizing “bucket” by turning the bag sideways so it would be “approved” by the customer service “supervisor” who could have used a few lessons in “customer service!”

On 8/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, berryvillebomber said:

Hello,

I am looking for carry on luggage recommendations.  We will be taking a Viking Ocean cruise soon.
Should I be concerned about the size and will it pass airline requirements.
Flying to Iceland from Washington DC.

Thank you.

Michael

I, too, have been concerned about sizing (more for my “personal item” than carry-on luggage) particularly since we will be flying on 3 different airlines. Supposedly the initiating airline (United, in our case) sets the “rules” for the partner airlines, but I am actually going to follow the smallest sizing allowed by all three airlines just to be on the safe side. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gr8-2travel said:

TAP is the ONLY airline that has ever given me a problem with the size of my carry-on on a return international flight! It was the exact same carry-on that I had used for the flight over, and that I have traveled with for years on various airlines  with no problem? I managed to “squeeze” it into their super small sizing “bucket” by turning the bag sideways so it would be “approved” by the customer service “supervisor” who could have used a few lessons in “customer service!”

Our issue wasn’t size, it was weight. 

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Our issue wasn’t size, it was weight. 

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

So stop eating all those Viking desserts......😱  Ok, just kidding...🥃

That should be no problem now that the pistachio rolls have fallen victim to supply chain issues! 😂

• Haha 1

It was interesting that when we’ve flown to South Africa both times, we were told we had to use soft-sided duffel-like suitcases. They’re huge but even with wheels are a little unwieldy. 

i did manage to get 3 of 4 bottles of wine home unbroken. Had a nice pair of burgundy-colored khakis when I got home!

On 8/9/2022 at 10:55 PM, Twitchly said:

Which one do you have? And what made you choose Monos over Away?

I have the smallest carryon and a medium size.  I travel often to visit my daughter in NY and have never found the small carryon too large for any plan. I did a lot of research and found several articles stating that the Monos was overall  sturdier (especially the handle) than Away. Plus it is a little less costly. I love the carryon. I’ll be using the medium for our cruise next month. (Yes, I am checking a bag! )

• Thanks 1