Venture, anybody there??

worcestergal

Hi!  I was wondering if there are any CC contributors who are currently on Venture who might fill us in on what the new ship is like. I would love to hear about the staff and the excursions - as well as life on the ship, itself. And, I’m sure there are lots of us who would really appreciate your firsthand knowledge. Hopefully, someone can respond. 🤞🤞

You've posted just above me on the highplanesdrifters thread. I would guess the itinerary is pretty excursion intensive and the internet is sketchy at best. I'm checking back every day. Lots of great pre-cruise photos so far. When they have some down time, I have faith that they'll come through with more. If not, come mid-September - tag - you're it! 😁

• Like 1

Yes, I am figuring that they are a) too busy and/or  b) without internet to post. I will certainly try to do my bit in September. Though, by then, another report from Venture may be totally old hat. (And, maybe both points a & b will be applicable on my voyage, too). 
Still, I will keep looking for some current updates…

My friends have been on the Venture since its maiden voyage and are still on board for the current 2nd segment.  They have experienced persistent and prolonged internet issues.  They have reported wonderful service, but the husband has not been happy about some of the zodiac rides and landings and expedition leaders for Svalbard.  They are active and in their 60s and think the expeditions have been too tame  ("expedition for the 80s").  However, I haven't heard from them in several days and am hoping they are enjoying themselves more now...

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

I am concerned to hear about the tameness of the zodiac rides and landings. We are in our 50s (fit and very active) and were worried this could be the case. We have been on many Seabourn cruises so we know the clientele. Maybe Venture crew will get the message and separate the folks that want and are willing and able for something more adventurous/strenuous. 

18 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Think they have had adventures.   You really can’t go hiking around the Svalbard islands as the polar bear are very hungry.   In Iceland there should be good chances for strenuous hiking but not where they are now.   

I do have a concern about what would happen if the group met an aggressive polar bear.  Perhaps the bear would be shot and killed.  Of course that would happen if necessary to protect the people who are present.  This is the kind of scenario which makes land visits in these areas controversial.  It would ruin a trip for me if I thought I had contributed (by. my presence) to the death of an innocent wild bear.  

I do love all the photos.  I read an article today about how the ice has thawed in the Svalbard area.  I think we have seen that in the photos.  

• Like 3

On 8/11/2022 at 3:24 PM, LNugent said:

I am concerned to hear about the tameness of the zodiac rides and landings. We are in our 50s (fit and very active) and were worried this could be the case. We have been on many Seabourn cruises so we know the clientele. Maybe Venture crew will get the message and separate the folks that want and are willing and able for something more adventurous/strenuous. 

With ya on this.  Have read landings are tame enough for 80’s.  Did Nat Geo Antarctica few years ago.  Did a lot of jumping ashore.  Fun.

Actually in our boarding info they say you must be prepared to jump into the water for landings.   They also say you must be able to understand and follow directions, this could be a problem for some guests.   Agree that there are other expedition cruises on more basic ships that would require more physical activity.   Perhaps your friends would be happier on those ships.