Was cruising better in the 90’s

wcook

1 hour ago, Wick5by5 said:

One thing that was much better was... it was a vacation.  I wasn't checking work emails on board back then.  Now, work follows me even on ship in far away places.

Why do permit that to happen?  When I lock the door to my condo and depart for the airport or get into my car to drive to the port--or wherever--my mind goes into its "vacation mode".  Only once, when on a cruise, there was a "blip" in that.  Extraordinarily cold weather in my area caused me concern as to whether I had set my thermostat low enough in my condo.  That concern caused me to make a ship to shore phone call to a friend who was watching my home to go in and increase the temperature.  (A ship to shore phone call, I decided, would be less expensive than the damage caused by water pipes and had frozen and then broke.)  

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Prices for air travel  have decreased significantly in real terms. 

Thanks to deregulation that has led to "bus quality travel in the skies".  

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Yet people still expect fillet mignon and wine on  longer haul routes.

Not to mention the same level of service.

Given the First and Business Class fares being charged, I don't think a return to the experiences of yesteryear is unreasonable.  

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, except regional flights of course.

No meals on any regional flights that I have flown.  But, on those flights that offer First Class, I have been satisfied with the service that has been provided.  I really like Delta's snack offerings that are usually offered twice if time allows.  Good snacks along with fresh fruit!  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No meals on any regional flights that I have flown.  But, on those flights that offer First Class, I have been satisfied with the service that has been provided.  I really like Delta's snack offerings that are usually offered twice if time allows.  Good snacks along with fresh fruit!  

Yep, I remember they started charging for meals on regional flights when I was still working.   I think they may have done so on cross-country flight too, but my memory is sketchy.     

With the exception of two Florida cruises,  all of the flights we have taken in the last 10 or so years are overseas.  Other than an occasional connection at an east coast airport, the majority of our nonstops are  10 hours or more.  Because of that,  I'm not basing my comments on short flights to the east coast or to other American Cruise ports because I simply don't have much experience with those.   

We are going to have another go at a Caribbean cruise this coming November.  That will be a nonstop SFO to Miami. While relatively short, it is long enough that we will get the premium cabin legroom.    

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Thanks folks.  I guess because I'm tall I've always thought the main cabin was cramped.  Two inches less pitch is no good at all.  Width not so much a problem, though I freely admit I had to shed a few pandemic pounds.  

I don't think I have not been on a flight that did not include onboard meals.  Well, except regional flights of course.   Even if you have to purchase them in the main cabin, I would say they are not very good.  Maybe just OK.  

I have not seen any meal on any continental U S flight for many years - I only fly coach domestically - reserving my miles for upgrades on international flights when the time involved argues against cramping.  Alitalia should be ashamed of what they serve on flights to Rome — and I have never been a fan of British cuisine, so BA gets a pass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Alitalia should be ashamed of what they serve on flights to Rome —

2007 was my first flight to Rome and I was interested in flying on Alitalia in Business Class.  The menus that they posted on their web site were very appetizing.  I did not fly on them then, probably because I was able to get better pricing flying on Delta in their Business Class.  Since the reorganization of that airline, I'm not surprised that there was been many changes and not necessarily good ones, either.  

If we flew for the food we would not be flying anywhere.

Happy to pass on it-cabin or business class.  The only saving grace is that it fills in some time.   Especially that more often than not stale breakfast that shows up in hour 11 of a 12-13 hour flight. 

I will, however, happily accept a few thimblefuls of good red wine in lieu of a very  mediocre in flight meal.   I was on one flight where I mentioned to the steward that I would skip the food, just bring me a glass of wine.   When he refilled my glass a half hour or so later he winked and whispered 'good choice'!

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, iancal said:

If we flew for the food we would not be flying anywhere.

Happy to pass on it-cabin or business class.  The only saving grace is that it fills in some time.   Especially that more often than not stale breakfast that shows up in hour 11 of a 12-13 hour flight. 

I will, however, happily accept a few thimblefuls of good red wine in lieu of a very  mediocre in flight meal.   I was on one flight where I mentioned to the steward that I would skip the food, just bring me a glass of wine.   When he refilled my glass a half hour or so later he winked and whispered 'good choice'!

Getting slightly off topic. but we have actually had some pretty good food on a few foreign carriers during longer international flights.  Air China (the Taiwan airline) used to have decent Business Class food, not to mention a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue sitting at the Business Class bar.  Several other airlines (i.e. JAL, Asiana, Cathy Pacific, Singapore, and Turkish Airlines) usually have decent Business Class food.  Perhaps you see a pattern in that we do not mention any of the USA carriers.  I still laugh when recalling taking a new Delta A350 from Tokyo to Detroit  I knew one of the flight attendants and remarked that the new A350 seats were really nice.  HIs response was, yes, but the food is still lousy airline food.  And it was!    I have not flown on Emirates or Quatar but have heard they have decent food.

Hank

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Recalling long flights back in early 80’s (when bank rules authorized first class) both Braniff and Continental had pretty good broiled steaks and one, I forget which, had amazing fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.  Still today - two of those little bottles of Drambuie, after whatever passes for supper on a TA to London, make it possible to sleep fairly soundly until just before touchdown at LHR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Continental had pretty good

A flight in Coach on a Continental flight from Houston to Anchorage:  a good dinner served after leaving Houston and a warm and good sandwich served before landing.  I remarked to the Flight Attendant at my surprise at this.  "We don't want our passengers to starve." was her reply. 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

, Singapore

Singapore's "Book the Cook" availability helps to improve the Business Class  passenger's satisfaction with what they are served.  During my flight from Singapore to San Francisco, I was served dinner, a late night dinner, and breakfast.  That's more food than ordinarily consume!  (Oh, don't forget about the "other options" menu available.  Plus, the snacks available in the Galley.)  

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I still laugh when recalling taking a new Delta A350 from Tokyo to Detroit  I knew one of the flight attendants and remarked that the new A350 seats were really nice.  HIs response was, yes, but the food is still lousy airline food.

I wonder if where the flight originates may make a difference?  Delta One flights from Atlanta have served better meals, I think, that flights from some of their international destinations.  

Out of curiosity, I researched First and Business Class menus for companion flights from Frankfurt to/from Miami on Lufthansa.  In some ways, the menus are different.  On the Miami to Frankfurt flight in First Class, three of the entrees offered were the same as what was offered in Business Class.  Not so from Frankfurt to Miami.  

I have friends in Norway and Finland currently and have and will be flying on Finnair in Business Class.  They are very experienced Delta One passengers.  I look forward to their comments.  

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Recalling long flights back in early 80’s (when bank rules authorized first class) both Braniff and Continental had pretty good broiled steaks and one, I forget which, had amazing fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.  Still today - two of those little bottles of Drambuie, after whatever passes for supper on a TA to London, make it possible to sleep fairly soundly until just before touchdown at LHR. 

Back in the good ol days, when I always had miles for upgrades, they once served banana splits in the first class.  It was awesome.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dolittle said:

Had a short connecter on Swiss air in the morning they gave everyone a real croissant and good coffee . Doesn't sound great but it was just right .

That is so much better than the strange egg sandwich things that are sometimes served by other carriers.