Recommendation for private or small group tour of Sydney

12 minutes ago, eddieg07410 said:

We will be taking the Viking Orion to Sydney in early March. We are looking for a small group or private tour of Sydney as we will be staying in Sydney overnight. Thank you in advance.

You may be better asking in the Ports of Call - Australia and New Zealand board.

I can't advise on organised tours, but seriously, you don't need one. The ship docks at Circular Quay - disembark and you are smack in the most historic area of Sydney - the Rocks.  I would suggest a walk around the historic Rocks area, which goes right under the Harbour Bridge, and then around to the Opera House. Then back to Circular Quay and catch a ferry. Don't waste your money on tourist ferries, just catch one to Watsons Bay and have fish and chips at Doyles on the pier - weather permitting.  There is nothing - absolutely nothing - more spectacular than Sydney Harbour on a sunny day. Like a capricious god threw down handfuls of diamonds into an azure sea.  Enjoy your visit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hernextdoor said:

I can't advise on organised tours, but seriously, you don't need one. The ship docks at Circular Quay - disembark and you are smack in the most historic area of Sydney - the Rocks.  I would suggest a walk around the historic Rocks area, which goes right under the Harbour Bridge, and then around to the Opera House. Then back to Circular Quay and catch a ferry. Don't waste your money on tourist ferries, just catch one to Watsons Bay and have fish and chips at Doyles on the pier - weather permitting.  There is nothing - absolutely nothing - more spectacular than Sydney Harbour on a sunny day. Like a capricious god threw down handfuls of diamonds into an azure sea.  Enjoy your visit.

Except 1 March, if that’s the visit Orion is at White Bay

2 hours ago, Hernextdoor said:

I agree, but don't know if you are interested in walking around .Also, once at the Opera House, you are at the foot of the Botanic Gardens. Cities are cities, but around the foreshores of the harbour is where most of the best scenery and many of the attractions are housed. An afternoon on the ferries - Darling Harbour, Manly etc is worthwhile.

Maybe one of the hop-on hop-off buses, as they make their way around the attractions with commentary if you just want to do a lap of the route. 

https://www.bigbustours.com/en/sydney/sydney-routes-and-tour-maps

• Like 1

I don't see much point of an organised tour of the city. You would just sit in traffic for most of the time.

Unless one of you has mobility issues, the city is easily manageable on foot, public transport or a quick taxi ride or two.

There is a pretty good Hop on Hop off bus here that will give you a great overview of Sydney and even some of the beaches.

Do a bit of research and decide which attractions are a MUST SEE and a touring plan is easily put together.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments. We do have some mobility issues. Probably won't be able to walk much more than a mile at a time. As this will be our first and last visit to Sydney, we are a tabula raise when it comes to things to do. If it would not be too much trouble I would be very grateful for listing of things to do from the cruise port onward. I loved the recommendations ofHernenextdoor, but we will be arriving in Sydney in March. Thus, it seems his suggestions may not be possible.

5 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

Thank you all for your comments. We do have some mobility issues. Probably won't be able to walk much more than a mile at a time. As this will be our first and last visit to Sydney, we are a tabula raise when it comes to things to do. If it would not be too much trouble I would be very grateful for listing of things to do from the cruise port onward. I loved the recommendations ofHernenextdoor, but we will be arriving in Sydney in March. Thus, it seems his suggestions may not be possible.

For The Rocks, the Ghost Tour is a bent way of walking through Sydney's early history. Been a while since we have done it, was informative and fun. They also have a history tour through the day. Presuming you are arriving into White Bay, it is a bit more inconvenient, but at worst only a cab fare to the city. Hopefully Viking would provide a regular shuttle service between the city and ship.

Famous Ghost Tours, Sydney NSW | The Rocks Ghost Tours

8 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

but we will be arriving in Sydney in March. Thus, it seems his suggestions may not be possible.

I am not sure what you mean by this? Are you referring to the weather? March is generally a good time - heat of the summer has passed, early autumn weather. Of course it could still be overcast or rainy, but a greater chance of one of those sparkling clear days.

• Like 2

As you have mobility problems I think a private tour is a good idea (except for cost).   As well as the city sights, because you will be in Sydney overnight, you could consider spending the first day visiting the Blue Mountains  https://www.australia.com/en/trips-and-itineraries/sydney-and-surrounds/blue-mountains-day-trip.html  - it is only an hour out of Sydney and is ideal for a driving tour with spectacular views most of which are accessible (e.g. Scenic World has a funicular down into the valley and a skyrail https://www.scenicworld.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgO2XBhCaARIsANrW2X2KxY30F6dQmwCtbCXMUOQ1WXNAQMXc6t271EfKI0hGk61-LWqjsRMaAhZ7EALw_wcB) and there is a nice botanic gardens (https://www.bluemountainsbotanicgarden.com.au/).    I took colleagues from Italy for a day visit to the Blue Mountains and they loved it - they called it the 'grand canyon with trees' 🙂   Then your second day could be spent in the city/on the harbour.  I second the idea of a ferry to Manly - you will have great views of the harbour and you can walk (less than a mile) from the ferry terminal down the corso which is lined with pubs and restaurants to the surf beach.  Sorry - like others I am used to navigating around Sydney independently so cannot recommend specific companies but the reviews should be pretty reliable.   Have fun with your research.  

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, lucymorgan said:

As you have mobility problems I think a private tour is a good idea (except for cost).   As well as the city sights, because you will be in Sydney overnight, you could consider spending the first day visiting the Blue Mountains  https://www.australia.com/en/trips-and-itineraries/sydney-and-surrounds/blue-mountains-day-trip.html  - it is only an hour out of Sydney and is ideal for a driving tour with spectacular views most of which are accessible (e.g. Scenic World has a funicular down into the valley and a skyrail) and there is a nice botanic gardens (https://www.bluemountainsbotanicgarden.com.au/).    I took colleagues from Italy for a day visit to the Blue Mountains and they loved it - they called it the 'grand canyon with trees' 🙂   Then your second day could be spent in the city/on the harbour.  I second the idea of a ferry to Manly - you will have great views of the harbour and you can walk (less than a mile) from the ferry terminal down the corso which is lined with pubs and restaurants to the surf beach.  Sorry - like others I am used to navigating around Sydney independently so cannot recommend specific companies but the reviews should be pretty reliable.   Have fun with your research.  

Lucy, you must have a lead foot. 1 hour Sydney (CBD) to the Blue Mountains is a very good time! 😉

4 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Lucy, you must have a lead foot. 1 hour Sydney (CBD) to the Blue Mountains is a very good time! 😉

lol - ooh you are correct - i met them off the train in Penrith so 1 hour from there with a stop for coffee!  

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Hop On Hop Off bus!!  Best way to see the city!!

A great way to get your bearings, and to spend time at specific places of interest. Between that and getting around on the public ferries, you can get a nice overview of the city & harbour.

We are usually in Sydney for a pre-cruise day at least twice per year, and have spent a fair bit of time doing a whole variety of things, but often around the harbour on the ferries. If the weather is nice, we are going to do the Ho-Ho bus while we are there in October, as it has been ages since we have made our way around the city.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you heard of Sydney Greeters?  That might be a good  solution.  It's a free service where a local volunteer shows you around for a few hours or even a day.  They can help with suggesting things that are accessible if you have any specific requirements.  Book a month in advance for the best chance of getting assigned a Greeter.

https://sydneyexpert.com/introducing-sydney-greeters/