sofa bed on the allure.

miyanc

So we just got our room via the bar code trick and we are as aft as can be for a regular balcony.  But I hadn't looked into how the beds would be situated until now.  We are 4, 3 adults 1 child. It's my son 18 and 6'2" and 12 yo daughter that will be on the sofa bed.  But I have found few pictures of videos of the sofa pulled out.  I have been looking for the allure specifically.  Because some of the ships seem to have a trundle bed and others the sofa transforms into some sort of queen bed.  and even some rooms look to sleep 5 with a pull down in addition. 

In the end it doesn't matter we will manage, but I have considered an inside spacious or suites if given the royal up option.  As of now we don't even really have a room assignment.  Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, miyanc said:

So we just got our room via the bar code trick and we are as aft as can be for a regular balcony.  But I hadn't looked into how the beds would be situated until now.  We are 4, 3 adults 1 child. It's my son 18 and 6'2" and 12 yo daughter that will be on the sofa bed.  But I have found few pictures of videos of the sofa pulled out.  I have been looking for the allure specifically.  Because some of the ships seem to have a trundle bed and others the sofa transforms into some sort of queen bed.  and even some rooms look to sleep 5 with a pull down in addition. 

In the end it doesn't matter we will manage, but I have considered an inside spacious or suites if given the royal up option.  As of now we don't even really have a room assignment.  Thanks in advance. 

Definitely price out a second cabin.  Sometimes it isn’t much more expensive to have two.  Depends if you booked it on a KSF deal for the younger one.  Either way, I’d price out having two cabins to be sure of the difference.  Sometimes the difference is near nil.  

The sofa bed will probably be a pull out sofa bed not a trundle.   So your typical sofa bed.  Probably not as good for someone 18. 

Edited by topnole

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Your 18 year old son and 12 year old daughter would sleep together? 

yes, depends on the type of sofa bed is on the allure.  some ships have trundle beds and If I can get royal up or move to a room that has a pull down, but probably.  

As a kid I had to share a bed with my brother for one night while on vacay and it was hell (as you can tell, I am still scarred from it 🤪).  I suggest you get each kid their own bed.  Some rooms will sleep 4 with a bed for each person.

Edited by moposh

28 minutes ago, moposh said:

As a kid I had to share a bed with my brother for one night while on vacay and it was hell (as you can tell, I am still scarred from it 🤪).  I suggest you get each kid their own bed.  Some rooms will sleep 4 with a bed for each person.

first, ty all

second technically I havent even been given A room yet, let alone picking a different 1.  

third, this isnt our first vacation and we do nothing without discussing it all with the kids.  If my son or daughter had an issue with the arrangements we could, and have before when needed, bring a sleeping bag and pad.  If they are ok with the pull out I am as well.  

Yes 2 rooms would be great, but there is not guarantee we get adjoining rooms.  It seems easy to just say 1 adult and 1 kid in each room, and then switch but then 2 people walk around with the wrong sail pass and that can be a pain.  and communication is a pain.  I am willing, at this point, to pay more for a bigger room but royal up is not a guarantee and the only options available to purchase right now is suite costing 8000.  

We are currently looking at selecting our own room and seeing if it has a pull down.  but we shall see.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nnkath27 said:

What's the bar code trick?

use a barcode scanner to read the numbers.  you can download any kind of viewer, but if you hve apple you can use apple pay and if you have android you can use google wallet.  after scanning just look at the number after the dash.  its will be 4-5 numbers and should be the room.  so 11150 or 8758 like that.  

1. well, just switched from a non-room neighborhood gty (10729) which I would have loved, but had sofa bed option.  to a 5 person balcony in central park with the pull down.  It wasnt too much more and being in the middle could potentially be as important as bed situation.  we just figured if someone isnt dealing well with the motion, having 2 beds and being in the middle should help.  Oh and not being a mile from the action or elevators was a preference.   
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, miyanc said:
  1. well, just switched from a non-room neighborhood gty (10729) which I would have loved, but had sofa bed option.  to a 5 person balcony in central park with the pull down.  It wasnt too much more and being in the middle could potentially be as important as bed situation.  we just figured if someone isnt dealing well with the motion, having 2 beds and being in the middle should help.  Oh and not being a mile from the action or elevators was a preference.   

Here's a good video that shows one of those rooms with the pull down and couch made up as beds. Pretty cool  

4 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Here's a good video that shows one of those rooms with the pull down and couch made up as beds. Pretty cool  

yes, in trying to explain the differences in the beds to my 6'2-3 inch 18yo, he was originally very meh about the discussion. I tried searching for pictures and videos and its not that easy to find.  plenty fo the rooms when people first get there and some of other ships with different sofa beds, but it was hard to find allure stuff.  I did find this video and 2 others to explain each set up.  He then said he would be ok in any but would prefer this set up.  my kids are good, rarely complain and me and my son, who is an eagle scout and me the packmaster and scoutmaster, have been thru alot including 7 days on a sail boat in sleeping in spaces smaller then a coffin.   

Besides suites or spacious rooms, this set up will give us the most flexibility to hang out in the room and navigate around.  We dont spend all day in the room, but on a smaller ship in roughish seas, he was the 1 stuck in the room not feeling well. 

12 minutes ago, miyanc said:

yes, in trying to explain the differences in the beds to my 6'2-3 inch 18yo, he was originally very meh about the discussion. I tried searching for pictures and videos and its not that easy to find.  plenty fo the rooms when people first get there and some of other ships with different sofa beds, but it was hard to find allure stuff.  I did find this video and 2 others to explain each set up.  He then said he would be ok in any but would prefer this set up.  my kids are good, rarely complain and me and my son, who is an eagle scout and me the packmaster and scoutmaster, have been thru alot including 7 days on a sail boat in sleeping in spaces smaller then a coffin.   

Besides suites or spacious rooms, this set up will give us the most flexibility to hang out in the room and navigate around.  We dont spend all day in the room, but on a smaller ship in roughish seas, he was the 1 stuck in the room not feeling well. 

Aw, hope he has better luck with seasickness this time.  We have found that Bonine (meclizine--also now the ingredient in Dramamine non-drowsy) worked the best without making anyone too tired.  

18 hours ago, Chicky2181 said:

this is just an inside room but the couches might be the same. The bottom just rolled out. So it was like two separate beds. Or at least two levels.  That’s my then 9y old for a size reference. 
image.thumb.jpeg.297db1c7fa6d3a603e415058548ff77a.jpeg

yes but is this the allure?  

it may all be for nothing.  We went from inside gty to neighborhood gty and then last night I booked a specific room in central park with the pulldown bed.  Now I discovered you dont need to wait for royal up email and I logged into that and may be looking at junior suite or ultra balcony.  we shall see. 

1 hour ago, miyanc said:

yes but is this the allure?  

it may all be for nothing.  We went from inside gty to neighborhood gty and then last night I booked a specific room in central park with the pulldown bed.  Now I discovered you dont need to wait for royal up email and I logged into that and may be looking at junior suite or ultra balcony.  we shall see. 

That is definitely not on Allure.  You can tell by the cabinetry that it is from either a Quantum class ship or Symphony or Harmony

22 hours ago, miyanc said:

The 5 person regular balcony rooms on Oadis and Allure are great for families with 2 kids. Really wish that they had kept that option on other ships but Pullmans in balcony cabins have been eliminated with the new cabin design 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The 5 person regular balcony rooms on Oadis and Allure are great for families with 2 kids. Really wish that they had kept that option on other ships but Pullmans in balcony cabins have been eliminated with the new cabin design 

Good to know.  I guess they push towards bigger or 2 rooms.  Instead of accommodating in 1.  We started at a cheap cruise just to go back out on vacation and testing how I would feel on a ship.  I wish we were as sure how much we ultimately would have wanted to spend when I started. Maybe we would have had better options.  All good now. 

• Like 1